Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

But how will we pay for all those expanded insurance subsidies?!?

https://twitter.com/ab_ibarra/status/1242160479193026560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

Hurrah, today's the 10th anniversary of the ACA being signed into law! Where's my dnd peeps who are celebrating?

All hail the predictions of 2010 dnd that the bill would result in Dem majorities for the following decade! All hail the soothsayers who said $7,000/year deductibles for people making $21k/year would only come into play for "serious illnesses"! All hail those who contended that "healthcare reform" had been achieved, and it was the first step toward single-payer, which would certainly be the next step in just a few years! All hail those who supported the Obama administration making all Medicaid funding contingent upon all states expanding Medicaid! All hail the contention that tying the medical-loss ratio to profit percentages instead of dollar amounts wouldn't incentivize provider-insurer-pharma collusion that led to higher medical prices! All hail those who welcomed the "bending of the cost curve" because people couldn't afford to actually use the insurance for which they paid!

And now that we're in the midst of the greatest pandemic known to the country, all hail this marvelous piece of legislation that will result in millions of Americans dying because it was more important to listen to lobbyists when crafting the bill than listening to single-payer advocates!

No, millions of Americans risk dying because the meh half-measure we did have has been dismantled by Republicans and left people with even less. Strong work looking like you're cheering these deaths as an I told you so.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

An effect of the stimulus legislation now before Congress will be that the beefed-up unemployment-comp benefits will result in recipients making more than the woefully low expanded-Medicaid threshold, and thus having to purchase private, narrow-network marketplace plans if they want or need insurance.

There were murmurs of the legislation tackling surprise billing; is that clause still contained in the Senate plan?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tetrapyloctomy posted:

No, millions of Americans risk dying because the meh half-measure we did have has been dismantled by Republicans and left people with even less. Strong work looking like you're cheering these deaths as an I told you so.

"Don't put your hand on that hot stove you will get burned"
*Neolib hand smacks palmfirst onto the burner*
"Strong work looking like you're cheering on my charred flesh as an I told you so!"

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

"Don't put your hand on that hot stove you will get burned"
*Neolib hand smacks palmfirst onto the burner*
"Strong work looking like you're cheering on my charred flesh as an I told you so!"

I don't believe anyone in here thought the PP-ACA was great, or even good. But to blame it and Democrats for the situation we're in rather than on the people who dismantled the small protections it did offer (as well as necessary healthcare infrastructure) is laughably dumb, and taking victory laps because people are dying is gross regardless of the veracity of the claim. But whatever, you guys keep feeling smart online while my coworker and I figure out our plan in our small ED that only has three ventilators and three negative pressure rooms because Republicans in our state legislature keep cutting aid both to the hospital system as well as our underserved catchment area.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ah, yes: It was those dastardly republicans who thought it was perfectly fine for people making $30k/year to spend up to half of their net income on out-of-pocket costs. It was the dastardly republicans who wrote into the bill that deductibles could rise with inflation, but expanded Medicaid didn't.

It was those dastardly republicans who made a "drafting error" (read: lovely pay-go rules) that aged out the silver-level cost-sharing subsidies. And it was those dastardly republicans who killed the public option in the (dem-controlled) Senate Finance Committee and voted down Dorgan's amendments to control drug-pricing after the republican president, in 2009, made backroom deals with PhRMA and the AHA.

If only we'd had a democratic president + dem-majority congress back when the ACA was drafted!

Sorry your state sucks, Tetra, but plenty of us have lived in blue states that have decimated public-health funding too; as republican president Obama said in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012, government had to live "within its means" even if it meant cutting low-income heating & social security and deferring Medicare to age 67.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

An effect of the stimulus legislation now before Congress will be that the beefed-up unemployment-comp benefits will result in recipients making more than the woefully low expanded-Medicaid threshold, and thus having to purchase private, narrow-network marketplace plans if they want or need insurance.

There were murmurs of the legislation tackling surprise billing; is that clause still contained in the Senate plan?

I was wondering about how the unemployment worked with medicaid - is medicaid done on a month by month actual earnings basis or what? I know that going under the 138% FPL line on ACA isn't a problem and you won't be punished, but what happens if you underestimate earnings, get put on medicaid, then make too much - when is the 'too much' counted?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I was wondering about how the unemployment worked with medicaid - is medicaid done on a month by month actual earnings basis or what? I know that going under the 138% FPL line on ACA isn't a problem and you won't be punished, but what happens if you underestimate earnings, get put on medicaid, then make too much - when is the 'too much' counted?

Technically, eligibility is determined on a month-by-month basis at the state level, but state agencies are rarely agile (ie: staffed) enough to process claims that quickly.

I was on Medicaid for all of 2018 and most of 2019, but around Q3 of 2019 I started earning more than the expanded-Medicaid threshold so I tried to research it. I couldn't find any info as to whether I'd be dinged at tax time, or told by the state to repay my Medicaid premiums, beyond:

1. If you've used Medicaid for medical services and you're above the threshold by the end of the year the state (IL, at least) can require you to repay the state for those medical costs. (Just what someone earning the princely sum of $20k can afford, on top of some lovely bronze plan with an $8k annual dedictible, right?)

2. If you're still accruing medical costs after you've terminated Medicaid bc of earning too much money, some states (including IL) have "spend-down" provisions that you can count against your income in order to re-qualify for Medicaid.

eg: You start a job making $24k/year, or $2,000/month, but you spend $500 in a month toward medical care out-of-pocket expenses. Medicaid will cover those expenses. (edit: for that month only, lol.)

It's a lovely threshold, and lovely bureaucracy, and you're left with lovely choices for employer-provided or individual insurance.

I ended up filing a change-of-income form on IL's abe site in 9/2019, then a DHS staffer called me to explain that I was earning too much for Medicaid (duh!). On Nov. 30 I received a letter that my Medicaid was terminated as of 12/1/19, and since I was Medicare-eligible as of 1/1/20 I just went naked on insurance for November.

I'm really surprised (not really) that the newly passed stim bill elided over insurance/Medicaid coverage but if I were someone who's been laid off I'd just apply for Medicaid and worry about the repayment deets later. Ain't no one gonna go be tested or treated for covid19 or anything else looking down the barrel of some crappy ACA plan with an $8,000/year deductible, even with the congressional assurances that "testing is free."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

From KFF's survey on employer-provided health insurance this past December:

This is particularly notable since employer-provided insurance has been lauded as the wonderful insurance that no one wants to give up in exchange for Medicare-for-All.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 31, 2020

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Cause them people dumb as poo poo or had employer insurance when it was actually good.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Employer insurance has never been good. It’s always been a crapshoot that’ll screw you over in creative ways if you actually need to use it. And then if you have serious problems, you lose it when you lose your job! AND, prior to the ACA that would often trigger pre-existing-condition clauses, meaning your condition would never be covered again.

Some people get lucky and haven’t needed it or manage to avoid all the surprise billing/restricted network/unclear coverage/deductible timing minefields.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

So everyone now has access to affordable healthcare, right?

Just checking, since the thread's been dead for four months.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Nah, the people who didn't are all dead now too. :v:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not exactly been any news. None of the current candidates really give a poo poo :shrug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm glad you're still around

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Willa Rogers posted:

I literally think every day about moving back to Canada or Britain. I don't like living in the US, but I wouldn't like living in the UK or Canada again either - I just think that I would have better access to health care.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My family informed me that my grandfather's prostate cancer came back after 10 years. Scans showed spread, but small. Was supposed to start radiation, insurance delayed for a month and now its in his lungs and he has weeks.

COOL COOL gently caress INSURANCE.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Yeah I pay about 10k a year for company family health insurance, and its a HSA high deductible plan that I've gotta sink 12k in first before they start coverage.

The one year I said gently caress it and put the 10k in a savings account instead my son cut his hand and the surgery/stiches emptied that out and put me 24k in the hole. The sad part is it doesn't really change much because I couldn't afford care in either scenario...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I have VA healthcare and everyone should have my healthcare at a bare minimum. I see the doctor whenever I want. All of my drugs I can either pick up or get mailed to me. I have no copay, deductible, or out of pocket expenses whatsoever. I never have to worry about something being covered or finding a doctor that takes my insurance.

Every time I talk to a friend or family member that has to deal with our healthcare system I get frustrated because it doesn't have to be that way.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My family informed me that my grandfather's prostate cancer came back after 10 years. Scans showed spread, but small. Was supposed to start radiation, insurance delayed for a month and now its in his lungs and he has weeks.

COOL COOL gently caress INSURANCE.

I just wanted to express my deepest condolences as I am very close to my grandfather. He is also a prostate cancer survivor and, despite every attempt to destroy it, the NHS in Britain has kept it under control and him alive 99 years. I can only say that I feel your pain.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have VA healthcare and everyone should have my healthcare at a bare minimum. I see the doctor whenever I want. All of my drugs I can either pick up or get mailed to me. I have no copay, deductible, or out of pocket expenses whatsoever. I never have to worry about something being covered or finding a doctor that takes my insurance.

Every time I talk to a friend or family member that has to deal with our healthcare system I get frustrated because it doesn't have to be that way.

But the VA is bad! I heard it on Fox!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Jaxyon posted:

But the VA is bad! I heard it on Fox!

Eh on the whole the care you get is pretty much average. Some places are better than others, but generally speaking its decent to great healthcare.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eh on the whole the care you get is pretty much average. Some places are better than others, but generally speaking its decent to great healthcare.

Also seems silly to argue over shades of grey healthcare vs no healthcare save but for emergency room visits. Mediocre/Middling free healthcare looks like a loving ray of golden sunshine hope to a huge chunk of the US.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted to express my deepest condolences as I am very close to my grandfather. He is also a prostate cancer survivor and, despite every attempt to destroy it, the NHS in Britain has kept it under control and him alive 99 years. I can only say that I feel your pain.

Thanks. The dude is 91, before this, he still golfs, drives, probably could wrestle my rear end to the ground, and flirts with the ladies. But now he can't stay awake for more than a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DandyLion posted:

Also seems silly to argue over shades of grey healthcare vs no healthcare save but for emergency room visits. Mediocre/Middling free healthcare looks like a loving ray of golden sunshine hope to a huge chunk of the US.

Agreed. The only thing I can’t see someone about on demand is for dental work, and I can still get emergency work for free.