Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

US end of life healthcare is designed to stop any generational wealth from being passed down. With the technology we have today, if they find out you have money they will force your dead heart to beat until everything you own is theirs through medical bills.

it's this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Which is a good reminder that if you have elderly parents, it’s going to be hard, but convince them to get their resources situated cause if they have to go into a facility they will take everything they can.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
How do you suggest you get your resources situated? My dad's going into a nursing home pretty soon and while my mother has power of attorney and everything I'm still worried about what they could do to gently caress with their finances beyond what is agreed to be paid to the facility. Fwiw my dad does have a DNR and wants to die.

E: my dad has issues which my mom can't handle physically or mentally anymore, even with outside help. We're not just dumping him in a home.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boxman posted:

Serious question - I assume the US has incredibly stupid end of life costs relative to other countries (just because I assume the US always has stupid high costs relative to other countries). If I'm right, how did that happen? How did the US get so bad at end of life planning?

Do you mean things like funeral costs? Super high, and the reason is like 75% of funeral places are all owned by the same person

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

How do you suggest you get your resources situated? My dad's going into a nursing home pretty soon and while my mother has power of attorney and everything I'm still worried about what they could do to gently caress with their finances beyond what is agreed to be paid to the facility. Fwiw my dad does have a DNR and wants to die.

E: my dad has issues which my mom can't handle physically or mentally anymore, even with outside help. We're not just dumping him in a home.

It’s different state to state, if they have any appreciable resources they don’t want to lose IE: house, property, retirement funds. Talk to a lawyer that specializes in it. It will be worth the time and money spent on it. Lawyers I deal with know some loop holes I never knew about and even if you have to give up some of it they won’t take it all. Sooner the better.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
As far as I know, any medical debts (or other debts) your parents have will be paid by their estate when they die. So if you plan on getting your parent's plot of land or their house or whatever, it would likely better to get that sorted out now rather than once they pass. I made sure that my dad gave me his mineral rights before he dies (always his intention) for that very reason. I'm not a lawyer, though.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My concern is my dad goes to the nursing home and somehow they eat through the money we have saved for that and take money my mom needs until her death. I don't know how that would happen and my dad probably only has a couple years left at this point, but it's still a concern.

I'm doing fine on my own, although an inheritance would be nice.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For years I got bloodwork done at in network megalabs like Quest and paid a token amount after insurance payments. My most recent allergist convinced me to get it done in house at their office, and even though it cost more overall ($181 in "laboratory services" vs. $20 at quest) insurance covered the tests 100%. The inconsistency in employer paid insurance means my employer incentivizes me to charge them more while someone else would get turbofucked by having no coverage for the same tests at all.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Our system is so opaque, and on top of that you have corporate groups doing things like refusing to sign contracts with insurance companies so they can charge out-of-network billing rates for their physicians and then balance-bill the patient. It's criminal.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

No, it's the patient's fault! They need to make smarter healthcare shopping decisions despite the fact that pricing for care is a total mystery until the bill arrives!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Our system is so opaque, and on top of that you have corporate groups doing things like refusing to sign contracts with insurance companies so they can charge out-of-network billing rates for their physicians and then balance-bill the patient. It's criminal.

We're going through that at work. We just had to pick our benefits for all of 2020 while the major health care network in this area is till negotiating with all of the insurance providers that matter.

Americans are loving morons; they will raise holy hell at the slightest hint of a tax increase and gladly allow billionaires to contribute nothing to society while paying hundreds and hundreds a month for "good" commercial insurance on top of ridiculous co-pays and prices for any medicine or procedure... that's called "freedom", apparently.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

No, it's the patient's fault! They need to make smarter healthcare shopping decisions despite the fact that pricing for care is a total mystery until the bill arrives!

IF ONLY THESE PEOPLE TOOK CARE OF THEMSELVES HEALTHCARE WOULD BE CHEAPER.

*promptly ignores hundreds of thousands of untimely, expensive and unavoidable sicknesses due to cancer, trauma, preventable disease, poverty, genetics, et cetera, ad nauseam*

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
https://twitter.com/whysimonewhy/status/1197550990532251649

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Horrifying Guardian piece on how people with insurance are still going bankrupt:

quote:

Having health insurance is often not enough to save Americans from massive debts when serious illness strikes

Michael Sainato

It’s been over a dozen years since Susanne LeClair of West Palm Beach, Florida was first diagnosed with cancer and she’s been fighting ever since. Now she, like many other Americans facing life-threatening illness, is bankrupt despite having health insurance.

Before her first cancer-related surgery, LeClair was told by the hospital they accepted her employer-based health insurance.

“I paid my $300 copay. After the surgery, I started receiving all these invoices and came to find out the only thing covered was my bed because the hospital was out of network,” said LeClair. “My bills were hundreds of thousands of dollars, so I had no choice but to file bankruptcy.”

LeClair is on the verge of having to file for bankruptcy a second time due to the mounting medical debt she has accrued for additional cancer-related surgeries, regular appointments, medications and supplies related to her recovery, despite having health insurance and paying as much as she can out of pocket for copays, deductibles and premiums to maintain insurance.

“My medical bills are at $52,000. I’ve done everything from credit cards to consolidation loans, I just keep simply paying one credit card with another interest-free one until I can pay the next one,” LeClair added. “It’s the side of cancer most people don’t understand or know about and it’s never-ending. It just keeps adding up and adding up and before you know it you’re back in debt that you can’t believe again.”

Bankruptcy can also make it difficult to find employment given that many employers will disqualify a candidate with a bankruptcy filing found from a background check.

According to a study published in February 2019, about 530,000 bankruptcies filed annually are because of debt accrued due to a medical illness. The study found that even the Obama administration’s landmark Affordable Care Act (known as Obamacare) has failed to change the proportion of bankruptcies caused by medical debts, with poor health insurance cited as one of the main culprits.

Republicans and Democrats are currently at loggerheads over Trump administration plans to further weaken Obamacare by making it easier for states to opt out of certain requirements and offer cheaper plans that could further exacerbate the situation. And health insurance has emerged as one of the signature issues of the 2020 election, and the fight for the Democratic presidential nomination with senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren promising a total overhaul and Joe Biden and others pledging milder reforms. What all sides admit is that the current system is broken.

“Health insurance that we have today is a defective product,” said Dr David Himmelstein, distinguished professor of public health at City University of New York’s Hunter College and a lecturer in medicine at Harvard Medical School.

“A lot of people, a little over 60%, are filing bankruptcy at least in part because of medical bills. Most of them are insured. It’s clear that despite health insurance, there are many, many people incurring costs not being covered by their insurance,” said Himmelstein. “Medical debt is incredibly common, it’s the main cause of calls from collection agencies, and the vast majority of people with it have insurance,” said Himmelstein, lead author of the study Medical Bankruptcy: Still Common Despite the Affordable Care Act.

One out of every six Americans has an unpaid medical bill on their credit report, amounting to $81bn in debt nationwide, while about one in 12 Americans went without any medical insurance throughout 2018. Even as many Americans struggle to afford health insurance coverage in the first place, those that have it are not insulated from facing massive debt due to medical bills.

“I have insurance through my job but it has a high premium and high deductible. I have to pay $450 a month. When you think about living paycheck to paycheck, $450 is a lot of money. I’m barely making it. Some bills don’t get paid every month,” said Mary Cross of Detroit, Michigan, who has filed for bankruptcy twice since early 2013 when she was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia, required lung surgery and was diagnosed with sarcoidosis, an inflammatory disease.

“I’m currently struggling to stay afloat now due to having surgery this past January,” added Cross, 51. “I’ve been getting constant calls from the billing department at the hospital where I had surgery.”

In Savannah, Georgia, a 35-year-old man who requested to remain anonymous to avoid being associated with a bankruptcy, recently found himself homeless and jobless due to prolonged hospital stays and hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical debt.

A type 1 diabetic for years, he had to reduce his work hours for a cellular retail store when trouble regulating his blood sugar resulted in a toe amputation in April 2019.

“I had to cut my work hours so bills were harder to pay. But in July 2019 I was admitted to the hospital again and I was fired from my job because I was in the hospital. I lost my insurance. They amputated my leg, which means I still can’t work,” he said.

When he lost his job due to the prolonged hospital stay and leg amputation, his employer offered Cobra, a health insurance program for employees who lose their job or have a reduction in work hours, but he couldn’t afford it. He is currently working on trying to file bankruptcy to release the medical debt he’s accrued from amputations this year and he lost his house in October 2019 as a result.

“I have amassed over $400,000 in medical bills I need to pay, and still have at least six months before I get a disability hearing. So I owe over $400,000 in medical bills, have lost my house and I live on the street now, with no end in sight,” he said.

Just outside of Chicago, Illinois, Jessica Hillman filed for bankruptcy in 2016 due to medical debt accrued from battling a seizure disorder, despite having health insurance coverage for the majority of her treatment.

“I had thousands of dollars in various medical debt which made the majority of my claim. The last bill I got that really pushed me toward the bankruptcy was for a routine lab test that my insurance refused to approve because of a billing mistake. That bill was about a thousand dollars,” Hillman said. “I couldn’t work and had no way to pay these.”

At the time, Hillman was receiving several collection notices in the mail for past hospital stays and tests amounting to several thousand dollars, often having no knowledge of the bills that health insurance didn’t cover until receiving the collection notices.

“One of the biggest hurdles you face as a patient is just the sheer confusion of the process. You think you just show up and present your card, sometimes pay a copay, and that’s it. You don’t expect all these plan limitations and authorizations,” Hillman added. “What are you going to do if your authorization gets denied? You don’t really have a choice to not go get care. All these processes that are in the finest of fine print. And sometimes it feels like you are literally paying for nothing.”

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Willa Rogers posted:

quote:

And sometimes it feels like you are literally paying for nothing

Yes, that is the entire point of insurance companies. You pay them and in return get nothing.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The whole concept of "insurance" for something that everyone needs at all times is in itself ridiculous. Of course premiums and deductibles are high, the whole premise of insurance is that you pay a fraction of what you're at risk to lose with a large population of others so that if one of you needs the funds, it's spread out over others over time. How do you do that when even the healthiest people in the system need several doctors visits per year for just normal checkups and such? Everything from the foundation of the current system is hosed.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

The whole concept of "insurance" for something that everyone needs at all times is in itself ridiculous. Of course premiums and deductibles are high, the whole premise of insurance is that you pay a fraction of what you're at risk to lose with a large population of others so that if one of you needs the funds, it's spread out over others over time. How do you do that when even the healthiest people in the system need several doctors visits per year for just normal checkups and such? Everything from the foundation of the current system is hosed.

There are plenty of people who pay into health insurance and never bother going to the doctor. Insurance companies love these people and it’s why the individual mandate was the only thing they liked about the ACA.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

There are plenty of people who pay into health insurance and never bother going to the doctor. Insurance companies love these people and it’s why the individual mandate was the only thing they liked about the ACA.

My husband for one. Never gets sick, usually too busy for an annual check-up. What a boon to our insurance company he is!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

My husband for one. Never gets sick, usually too busy for an annual check-up. What a boon to our insurance company he is!

When I had “good” health insurance through work pre-ACA I went years without seeing the doctor at all. Now I have a high deductible HSA plan with a different employer and it’s pestering me to pick a primary care doc and get my “free” physical (which is only free as long as there’s nothing to treat, making it a giant waste of time.)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

When I had “good” health insurance through work pre-ACA I went years without seeing the doctor at all. Now I have a high deductible HSA plan with a different employer and it’s pestering me to pick a primary care doc and get my “free” physical (which is only free as long as there’s nothing to treat, making it a giant waste of time.)

If you work for a large employer your insurance company is your employer, the "insurer" who issues the card just handles all the claims paperwork and negotiates pricing. This is just them shifting more of the burden of medical bills to you and hoping you don't notice them cutting back. The value of employer insurance as a "benefit" is quite absurd, I worked for a company that shelled out over 70k a year to pay for crohn's treatments for a coworker but her cash wage was just $11/hr.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

If you work for a large employer your insurance company is your employer, the "insurer" who issues the card just handles all the claims paperwork and negotiates pricing. This is just them shifting more of the burden of medical bills to you and hoping you don't notice them cutting back. The value of employer insurance as a "benefit" is quite absurd, I worked for a company that shelled out over 70k a year to pay for crohn's treatments for a coworker but her cash wage was just $11/hr.

I wonder if hospitals will add on X% to bills if they know its a big corp going to pay for it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Brigham Young University is requiring that students purchase crappy private insurance in order to stay enrolled, and is rejecting Medicaid as an acceptable alternative:

quote:

The Obama administration required that most university plans comply with the new law by covering a wide array of essential health benefits, including maternity care and prescription drugs, and eliminating annual benefit caps.

The rules, issued in 2013, included a carve-out for a small number of universities that “self-funded” their health plans, meaning they used student premiums to cover costs — and accepted responsibility for any large bills that might cost even more. At the time, about 30 universities had such plans.

Most were big institutions with large endowments, such as the University of California, Johns Hopkins and Princeton. Those three, and some others, chose nevertheless to make their self-funded student plans comply with the Affordable Care Act.

But Brigham Young University campuses in Utah, Idaho and Hawaii did not. The university publicly opposed the law’s requirement to cover contraceptives. And its plans limited the maximum annual benefit. At the time, a university spokesman told the campus newspaper in Utah, “There are numerous government-imposed requirements that we don’t believe are necessary to provide good health care to our students.”

The Idaho campus’s plan has a $4,750 deductible that must be met before it will cover maternity care for the spouse of a student. It does not cover certain major medical services, such as residential mental health care and care related to an organ transplant.

These restrictions, along with the premium costs, are central reasons the Idaho students with Medicaid coverage object to buying the university’s student plan. “It feels like they’re forcing us into a noncompliant health plan when the one we have is already compliant with Obamacare,” said Amanda Emerson, a 26-year-old student. “They’re making it really difficult to do anything otherwise.”

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

I wonder if hospitals will add on X% to bills if they know its a big corp going to pay for it.

Ultimately there is an unhealthy amount of buck passing that goes in when it comes to payers and their money. Hospitals will inflate bills knowing that major health insurance networks will still keep them in network. Health insurers don't really care all that much because it's not their money and only make a token effort to curb costs by threatening to drop people from networks. Employers will keep on funding employer sponsored plans because each dollar of health spending is tax free. Everyone else can pass the ultimate responsibility for keeping costs contained to someone else.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

My employer now offers two forms of secondary insurance because of precisely that reason, so now I can buy insurance for hospital costs not covered by my insurance, and insurance for healthcare related expenses in general that are not covered by my insurance. It's obvious why the healthcare costs are increasing so fast, because every failure of the existing market is covered by another layer of bureaucracy and overhead.

happyhippy posted:

When I had to have a sinusotomy some 6 years ago, I ended up looking at the claim history, and the hospital essentially kept charging for things and being denied until it got to the point the insurer said ok. It started at like a 20k claim and ended up at about 5k once the insurance finally accepted their claim.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1201299944365338630?s=20

It's so weird that these vicious billing practices can end overnight as soon as some muckraking journalists start publicly asking questions.

It's almost like aggressively ruining patients like this is totally unnecessary and they were just doing it because they got away with it without any pushback.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

edit: double post

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Good data on billing/reimbursement and out-of-network charges in these links that I thought some of you might like to review.

https://www.healthcostinstitute.org...AukDfWQANnbRe1Y

https://www.healthcostinstitute.org...k_WmMVqznxd0XE0

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Good data on billing/reimbursement and out-of-network charges in these links that I thought some of you might like to review.

https://www.healthcostinstitute.org...AukDfWQANnbRe1Y

https://www.healthcostinstitute.org...k_WmMVqznxd0XE0

Interesting info, but I would love to see info for surprise/balance billing by type of insurance: medicare advantage, marketplace plans, group private insurance, and group employer-administered private insurance.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A record 25% of Americans say they or a family member put off treatment for a serious medical condition in the past year because of the cost, up from 19% a year ago and the highest in Gallup's trend. Another 8% said they or a family member put off treatment for a less serious condition, bringing the total percentage of households delaying care due to costs to 33%, tying the high from 2014.

Gallup first asked this question in 1991, at which time 22% reported that they or a family member delayed care for any kind of condition, including 11% for a serious condition. The figures were similar in the next update in 2001, and Gallup has since asked this question annually as part of its Health and Healthcare poll. This year's survey was conducted Nov. 1-14.

Americans' reports of family members delaying any sort of medical treatment for cost reasons were lower in the early to mid-2000s when closer to a quarter reported the problem. Since 2006, the rate has averaged 30%.

The pattern is similar for the subset of Americans postponing medical treatment for a serious condition. The rate rose from 12% in 2001 to an average of 19% since 2006. However, the current 25% is the highest yet, exceeding the prior high-point of 22% recorded in 2014.

Reports of delaying treatment for a serious condition jumped 13 percentage points in the past year to 36% among adults in households earning less than $40,000 per year while it was essentially flat (up a non statistically significant three points) among those in middle-income and higher-income households.

As a result of the spike in lower-income households this year, the gap between the top and bottom income groups for failure to seek treatment for a serious medical condition widened to 23 percentage points in 2019. The income gap had averaged 17 points in the early years of Barack Obama's presidency, but narrowed to an average 11 points in the first few years after implementation of the ACA, from 2015 to 2018.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/269138/americans-delaying-medical-treatment-due-cost.aspx

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

A good friend of mine often talks to me about Bernie’s M4A bill and how a “one size fits all” solution will not best serve the needs of the American people. She is not so much of a proponent of the status quo (she works as an Aetna agent for DSNP) but believes that his bill will strip the poorest Americans of existing beneficial services — “At Risk” populations should not be mixed in with “Non At Risk” pools. After watching Sen. Sanders’ Coachella rally, she sent me this:

quote:

Canada although citizens can go to the doctor “for free,” they still have to pay for their prescriptions out of pocket. Meaning that low-income families rarely have the extra money to get their prescriptions, or must seek other medical coverage to cover prescription costs.

We have 325 million citizens; this is why part d is covered in a completely different way under original Medicare. Also...Australia govt sponsored healthcare has a deductible --Bernie’s statement last night was false.

Australia adopted a two-tier system. The government pays two-thirds, and the private sector pays one-third. The public universal system is called Medicare. Everyone receives coverage. That includes visiting students, people seeking asylum, and those with temporary visas. People must pay deductibles before government payments kick in. Half of the residents have paid for private health insurance to receive a higher quality of care. Those who buy private insurance before they reach 30 receive a lifetime discount.

EDIT: What follows are excepts she pulled from an article published on The Nation: “Medicare-for-All Isn’t the Solution for Universal Health Care”:

“There has not yet been a detailed single-payer bill that’s laid out the transitional issues about how to get from here to there. We’ve never actually seen that. Even if you believe everything people say about the cost savings that would result, there are still so many detailed questions about how we should finance this, how we can deal with the shock to the system, and so on.”

(Her: Medicare for all isn't about smart policy it's about smart politics. People are familiar with the term.)

“This year, around a third of all enrollees purchased a private plan under the Medicare Advantage program. These private policies have grown in popularity every year, in part because the field has been tilted against the traditional, government-run program. Medicare Advantage plans must have a cap on out-of-pocket costs, for example, while the public program does not. Around one-in-four Medicare enrollees also purchase some sort of “Medigap” policy to cover out-of-pocket costs and stuff that the program doesn’t cover, and then there are both public and private prescription drug plans.”

“Under the current Medicare-for-All proposals, we would be forcing over 70 percent of the adult population—including tens of millions of people who have decent coverage from their employer or their union, or the Veteran’s Administration, or the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program—to give up their current insurance for Medicare. Many employer-provided policies cover more than Medicare does, so a lot of people would objectively lose out in the deal.”

“Some large companies skip the middle man and self-insure their employees—and many offer strong benefits. We’d be killing that form of coverage. If we were to turn Medicare into a single-payer program, as some advocates envision, then we’d also be asking a third of all seniors to give up the heavily subsidized Medicare Advantage plans that they chose to purchase. Consider the political ramifications of that move alone. And because some doctors would decline to participate in a single-payer scheme, which would come with a pay cut for many of them under Medicare reimbursement rates, we couldn’t even promise that if you like your physician you can keep seeing him or her.”

“There’s a common perception that because single-payer systems cost so much less than ours, passing such a scheme here would bring our spending in line with what the rest of the developed world shells out. But while there would be some savings on administrative costs, this gets the causal relationship wrong. Everyone else established their systems when they weren’t spending a lot on health care, and then kept prices down through aggressive cost-controls.”

“Canada, for example, finances basic health care through six provincial payers. Its Medicare system provides good, basic coverage, but around two in three Canadians purchase supplemental insurance because it doesn’t cover things like prescription drugs, dental health, or vision care. About 30 percent of all Canadian health care is financed through the private sector.”

“Most countries have mixed funding schemes that vary in complexity, and the term “single-payer” may be giving some people a false promise. Conyers’s Medicare-for-All bill promises to cover virtually everything while banishing out-of-pocket costs, but no other health-care system offers such expansive benefits. Even people living in Scandinavian social democracies face out-of-pocket expenses: In 2015, the most recent year for OECD data, the Swedes covered 15 percent of their health costs out-of-pocket; in Norway, it was 14 percent and the Finns shelled out 20 percent out-of-pocket.”

“The Dutch system is somewhat like Obamacare in that everyone must purchase insurance for basic services from private insurers. But the similarities end there: Insurers are barred from distributing profits to their shareholders, and a separate, entirely public scheme covers long-term care and other costly services. Premiums are subsidized, but most Dutch people purchase supplemental insurance to cover things like dental care, alternative medicine, contraceptives, and their co-payments.”

“The French system is often cited as the best in the world, and about a quarter of it is financed through the private sector. The French are mostly covered through nonprofit insurers in a single national pool, but most working people get their policies through their employers. Almost all French citizens either purchase government vouchers to cover things like vision and dental care, or are provided with them gratis if necessary. The system is financed through a complicated mix of general revenues, employer contributions, payroll taxes and taxes on drugs, tobacco, and alcohol.”

“At a minimum, it’s time to get past the idea that anyone who doesn’t embrace Medicare-for-All, as it’s currently defined, must be some kind of neoliberal hack.”

“We shouldn’t make promises that we aren’t going to be able to keep. “It’s not going to be easy to do,” Jacob Hacker says, “and anyone who tells you that the most expensive health-care system in the world is going to undergo a sudden shift to highly efficient and low-price medicine has not been studying American medicine.””

I am still learning the ins and outs of Sanders’ bill outside of his usual stump speech, but I’d like to refute these points (if at all possible). What do you guys think? Is Sanders “making promises he can’t keep to Americans”?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nobody can fully keep their campaign promises. That’s an argument against precompromising, not for it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jesus loving christ, an asthma inhaler and 200 doses is loving ~$100 in this shithole country that's loving at least 50c a god damned breath gently caress this place fuuuuuuuck this place.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

bootleg robot posted:

A good friend of mine often talks to me about Bernie’s M4A bill and how a “one size fits all” solution will not best serve the needs of the American people. She is not so much of a proponent of the status quo (she works as an Aetna agent for DSNP) but believes that his bill will strip the poorest Americans of existing beneficial services — “At Risk” populations should not be mixed in with “Non At Risk” pools. After watching Sen. Sanders’ Coachella rally, she sent me this:

I am still learning the ins and outs of Sanders’ bill outside of his usual stump speech, but I’d like to refute these points (if at all possible). What do you guys think? Is Sanders “making promises he can’t keep to Americans”?

One thing that is wrong about that is the VA is kept in its current form along with Medicare's ban of treating injuries from war.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Jesus loving christ, an asthma inhaler and 200 doses is loving ~$100 in this shithole country that's loving at least 50c a god damned breath gently caress this place fuuuuuuuck this place.

That’s why I get albuterol from India. Literally cheaper for them to ship me ventolin across the world than it is to buy with insurance here ($30 copay)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Is there quick and easy explainer on prescription drug prices?

I'm arguing with a dude who seems to think that the FDA is the reason why prices are high and reimportation would fix everything.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
There is no quick and easy explainer for anything in US Healthcare.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Prices are high because there are no loving generics for drugs and if there are, the manufacturers can simply charge $200 instead of $50 because the non generic is $300. The fact that there isn’t a regulator to set drug prices is the literal reason why they are high.

If you find one American to buy your $300 asthma medicine, you only need to find that one buyer. If you’re charging $50 for the same dosage you need to sell it to 6 people. In America you simply make more money and work less by raising your prices and that’s it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jaxyon posted:

I'm arguing with a dude who seems to think that the FDA is the reason why prices are high and reimportation would fix everything.

Rx drug prices are high because A) deregulation and lack of price controls, B) drug patent extensions artificially suppress generic market and C) consumers are literally powerless to negotiate fearing their untimely deaths.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Jaxyon posted:

Drug reimportation works until pharmaceutical companies stop tolerating it and implement rationing in Canada. CBO estimated it would reduce prescription drug spending by 1%.

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/108th-congress-2003-2004/reports/04-29-prescriptiondrugs.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Basically importing from Canada is a work-around that says “we’ll let Canada regulate prices for us and then add extra distribution steps that burn fuel.” It’ll actually work better than the current system, at least to the degree that it’s not full of caveats and restrictions and roadblocks, but it’s a loving stupid “solution” and it’s certainly not “free market” or however the loving Republicans are going to try spinning it.

E: I should also throw in that on top of government-enforced monopolies and our complete lack of price regulations, pharmaceutical research benefits from a massive amount of public funding.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Drug reimportation works until pharmaceutical companies stop tolerating it and implement rationing in Canada. CBO estimated it would reduce prescription drug spending by 1%.

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/108th-congress-2003-2004/reports/04-29-prescriptiondrugs.pdf

Yeah, this as well. We need to regulate our own pharmaceuticals, not outsource it overseas and pretend like Pharma won’t respond.

That and I imagine running an giant export business that undercuts Pharma’s US prices would weaken Canada’s negotiation position enough that they might ban exports rather than face price hikes for subsidizing our own lovely unregulated system.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 18, 2019