Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/obamacare-repeal-conservatives-235753

quote:

This is Obamacare by a different form,” former Freedom Caucus chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) told POLITICO. “They’re still keeping the taxes in place and Medicaid expansion, and they’re starting a new entitlement.”

Freedom Caucus member Dave Brat (R-Va.) piled on, telling POLITICO he’d vote against it in its current form because “the bill maintains many of the federal features including a new entitlement program as well as most of the insurance regulations.”

It begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So wait - right now if I'm on an employer health plan, my employer contributes part of the premium and I pay the rest - but I don't get any premium assistance otherwise. Will employer plans qualify for the new tax credits?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

lol I'm going to lose my healthcare if this goes through. Hope I don't get cancer or something

Thanks a lot you loving Rust Belt retards

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

EugeneJ posted:

So wait - right now if I'm on an employer health plan, my employer contributes part of the premium and I pay the rest - but I don't get any premium assistance otherwise. Will employer plans qualify for the new tax credits?

No. Employer plans are not touched by subsidies at all.

There already exists a tax rule for companies to write off health insurance for employees as a deduction.

Employer provided plans will not see a ton of major changes. The big changes to employer plans are:

- No abortions
- More barebones plans and catastrophoic plans available in group health options
- No mandatory birth control, free physical, or other preventative medicine provided for free under all plans.
- Cadillac tax in 2020 if you have an extremely generous plan from your employer.
- If you work for an employer with 50 employees or more, then you employer can make you go get individual plans and is not penalized for not providing health benefits.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 7, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The first annual physical of the year and other preventative medicine are no longer free and it is up to the discretion of the insurer how they are handled.

NY Times says this is still free and the EHB won't be changed

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/06/us/politics/republican-obamacare-replacement.html?pagewanted=all

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

No. Employer plans are not touched by subsidies at all.

However, they are subject to regulations under PPACA, like "no lifetime cap on coverage" or "you can only make someone pay out of pocket so much per year". They won't be, if this turd of a plan manages to pass.

With at least two Republicans disliking it because it's not evil enough, and at least four Republicans disliking it because their states have benefitted enormously from expanded Medicaid, though, we have a good chance of that not happening. Right? :ohdear:

This is kind of alarming, though:

- People (especially single women) who are under 35 and sicker than average (more than $1,000 a year in out of pocket health costs)

$1000 a year out of pocket is more than average? Really?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hmmm... the WaPo and Vox seem to disagree

quote:

Starting in 2020, under the GOP replacement plan, insurers would no longer be required to offer the “essential health benefits package” — which right now requires that insurers cover maternity services and pediatric care.

This addresses a constant Obamacare gripe from Republicans: the health care law mandates a benefit package that’s too big. This drives up premiums, they argue, and scares off some healthy and young enrollees who want to buy a skimpier plan.

There is some truth to this argument. Obamacare’s marketplaces have struggled to attract young adults at the level the White House had initially hoped. (The Obama administration originally said it wanted one-third of the marketplace to be people between the ages of 18 and 34, but right now it’s only about a quarter.)

The GOP replacement plan makes the individual market more advantageous for healthier people. Some states might choose skimpier benefit packages that would allow insurers to cut certain benefits they no longer want to cover — they could stop covering maternity benefits, for example, to make their plans less attractive to women who plan to become pregnant.

This would likely benefit healthy people, who generally want less robust coverage at a cheaper price. But it’ll send the cost of more comprehensive plans — the plans sicker people need — skyrocketing. And it could leave someone who wants, say, health insurance to cover her maternity costs completely out of luck.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Healthy young people want no insurance without a mandate why would they give a flying gently caress about catastrophic coverage otherwise?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well that pretty much destroys healthcare for women and costs them even more money to spend to get just basic coverage.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Doesnt the abortion thing run up against row v wade somehow? For real thats almost as good as banning it to many.

Those fuckers cant resist taking shots at it. God its infuriating

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Queering Wheel posted:

lol I'm going to lose my healthcare if this goes through. Hope I don't get cancer or something

Thanks a lot you loving Rust Belt retards

Yup. Can't wait to die slowly thanks to an easily treatable disease. Guess I shouldn't have gotten diabetes!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would a Dem winning the presidency in 2020 be able to undo any of this, or would they need both houses of congress

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Also holy poo poo Planned Parenthood isn't going to survive this. The name will but not as it exists today. These disgusting monsters need to be hung from freeway overpasses, gently caress voting them out.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Yup. Can't wait to die slowly thanks to an easily treatable disease. Guess I shouldn't have gotten diabetes!

Nonsense. Once costs spiral completely out of control, you'll be dying quickly.

_____:gop: :smith:_____

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Bueno Papi posted:

You and me both buddy. :hfive:

AFAIK this is the latest polling on the ACA favorables.

http://kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/kaiser-health-tracking-poll-future-directions-for-the-aca-and-medicaid/

The medicaid bits are truly eye-opening.

Part of the problem of the Medicaid question is that the options were to keep Medicaid as is, or choose between two replacements. Dan Ariely has talked about this as leading to a natural default to the status quo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

EugeneJ posted:

Would a Dem winning the presidency in 2020 be able to undo any of this, or would they need both houses of congress

If Republicans push this or something else through (still a massive "if"), there won't be anything that the Democrats can do to fix the damage without a friendly president and both houses. Expect Republicans to fight it tooth and nail even then.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
"The new plan allows up to 5x higher premiums for age and 2x higher cap for pre-existing conditions."

What pages in the bill specify this?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I feel real bad for the emergency rooms around the country because they are going to bear the brunt of this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Nonsense. Once costs spiral completely out of control, you'll be dying quickly.

_____:gop: :smith:_____

Well I mean unless you go into a coma or insulin shock most diabetes related deaths are slow deaths. I'm 33 and in decent health so this bill will actively make it much more difficult to stay that way. In good health I mean I'm pretty sure I won't be 33 much longer.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Zerilan posted:

"The new plan allows up to 5x higher premiums for age and 2x higher cap for pre-existing conditions."

What pages in the bill specify this?

The age thing is on page 65. I'm not sure what the bit about a cap for pre-existing conditions is about, I don't see where it alters the language barring premium increases for pre-existing conditions (42 USC §300gg(A)(1)(B) and 300gg–4(b)).

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 7, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Confounding Factor posted:

Not only the millions who will lose insurance, but how many jobs will be lost? There were reports of it being millions also.

Thanks for the thread Leon.

Don't think of this as losing jobs necessarily. They're not going to wake up and there be no nurses, for example.

Right now, everything is kinda being downgraded in the medical field. Sure, doctors will always be hired, especially because its expanding so much. But now you're more likely to see a PA than a doctor. This isn't a big deal; PAs can handle 99% of what a doctor can.

But LPNs are being completely phased out. Now you're getting CNAs. What used to be the job of an RN is now relegated to a CNA 2 or whatever.

So healthcare will continue to be a career field that will probably buoy the economy for a while. It's just these new roles will pay a fraction of what they're replacing.

And that's without even getting into the poo poo poor people are conned into doing. Chiropractors instead of Orthos, life coaches instead of psychiatrists, herbalists instead of you know whatever, etc

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I feel real bad for the emergency rooms around the country because they are going to bear the brunt of this.

Are the sliding-scale rates based on income for the uninsured still going to be a thing at hospitals? That saved me last time I was uninsured and making less than 20k

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
The healthcare industry is grossly oversized w.r.t. to the economy in the US and if you let the free market take over, it would take this in mind when making adjustments.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Another aspect that you'll start seeing, and in some ways I think we might already have started, is that you're going to struggle to place patients in rehab facilities. So, hypothetically, someone comes into the ER with what is obviously early massive sepsis. So they get admitted to the ICU, go through a long, very costly treatment, end up trached/PEG'd because they're a failure-to-wean patient, and then...what? You've got them stabilized, but they're vent dependent and on tube feeds. They need to go to either a skilled nursing facility or a long-term acute-care facility, but those places are private with no obligation to treat like hospitals. So they'll refuse to take anyone who doesn't have insurance to cover the costs (like ones with a cap that have already been hit because sepsis is loving expensive), so the hospital is now stuck with the cost of trying to care for and wean a patient, in an ICU, that's going to have a long course of treatment because they can't discharge a patient either.

So, in short, you'll see patients who have no business remaining in an ICU taking up a very expensive bed, slowing the flow of people through the ICU and greatly increasing the burden on the hospital. Or, since early sepsis can be deceptive, you'll see hospitals starting to quietly turn people away. Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement is also one of the major ways the government can force hospitals to comply with standards of care. If those programs are significantly weakened, you lose a lot of that leverage which has done a lot of good. There are going to be a ton of knock-on effects here.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
It sounds like AHCA is going to face some serious right-wing opposition. Rand Paul is looking like a no:

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/839102196318932993

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sloober posted:

Doesnt the abortion thing run up against row v wade somehow? For real thats almost as good as banning it to many.

Those fuckers cant resist taking shots at it. God its infuriating

No.

Not paying for something using public money is not the same as making it illegal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ravenfood posted:

Another aspect that you'll start seeing, and in some ways I think we might already have started, is that you're going to struggle to place patients in rehab facilities. So, hypothetically, someone comes into the ER with what is obviously early massive sepsis. So they get admitted to the ICU, go through a long, very costly treatment, end up trached/PEG'd because they're a failure-to-wean patient, and then...what? You've got them stabilized, but they're vent dependent and on tube feeds. They need to go to either a skilled nursing facility or a long-term acute-care facility, but those places are private with no obligation to treat like hospitals. So they'll refuse to take anyone who doesn't have insurance to cover the costs (like ones with a cap that have already been hit because sepsis is loving expensive), so the hospital is now stuck with the cost of trying to care for and wean a patient, in an ICU, that's going to have a long course of treatment because they can't discharge a patient either.

So, in short, you'll see patients who have no business remaining in an ICU taking up a very expensive bed, slowing the flow of people through the ICU and greatly increasing the burden on the hospital. Or, since early sepsis can be deceptive, you'll see hospitals starting to quietly turn people away. Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement is also one of the major ways the government can force hospitals to comply with standards of care. If those programs are significantly weakened, you lose a lot of that leverage which has done a lot of good. There are going to be a ton of knock-on effects here.

This is already a constant issue due to low Medicaid reimbursement rates.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

One of the more esoteric parts of the AHCA is that it bans you from Medicaid if you win the lottery.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think I remember calling that Planned Parenthood was going to get the ACORN treatment as soon as Trump won, and got a reply of 'yeah because trump really cares about abortion' from a trump supporter.

It's such a gut punch because there's already zero federal funding going to abortion treatments anyway, but that doesn't matter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

rudatron posted:

I think I remember calling that Planned Parenthood was going to get the ACORN treatment as soon as Trump won, and got a reply of 'yeah because trump really cares about abortion' from a trump supporter.

It's such a gut punch because there's already zero federal funding going to abortion treatments anyway, but that doesn't matter.

But money is fungible. If you give them Federal Dollars to pay for pap smears and cancer screenings that just frees up money for them pursue their real passion: the zygote holocaust.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

One of the more esoteric parts of the AHCA is that it bans you from Medicaid if you win the lottery.

Is this saying states can automatically disenroll off your plan once you report your lottery winning? Also should we assume the worst and take high dollar to mean winnings you have to report?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Those funding details and additional regulations are apparently coming. There's 2 more bills to come to complete the reform package.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/839108868584124417?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is this saying states can automatically disenroll off your plan once you report your lottery winning? Also should we assume the worst and take high dollar to mean winnings you have to report?

Yes, you will be kicked off Medicaid once you claim your prize.

It's up to the individual states to determine the amount that qualifies as "high dollar" winnings.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I look forward to the next round of The List of Alternatives to PP being released. Two times ago had a substantial number of dentists' offices. Last time featured women's prisons. What dark humor will we get this time?

the exact same list as the last two times because nobody trying to defund PP gives the slightest gently caress about women's healthcare if it doesn't impact their mistress, and maybe their daughter

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

It's up to the individual states to determine the amount that qualifies as "high dollar" winnings.

Anything over $1k

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yes, you will be kicked off Medicaid once you claim your prize.

Thank you for the answer and just thought of one more question what about past lottery winners, can they be affected? The language seems vague enough to let states do it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It change the calculation of income to spread a lump sum lottery payment over time; up to 10 years for 1.2mil.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thank you for the answer and just thought of one more question what about past lottery winners, can they be affected? The language seems vague enough to let states do it.

Not sure. It's not clear in the law.

The new law gives states wide latitude to determine eligibility and income. It seems like states could theoretically do that, but they'd have to apply it to your current income. Maybe if you won in the last 9 years and had a particularly aggressive state, then they could do it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This is 10% of the bill, by the way. 6 out of it's 60 pages are devoted to making sure the 5 people that this could possibly apply to will never get Medicaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So if a poor wins the lottery they die

That's very Republican