Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

"This just in, President Trump has declared the Senate illegal. The bombing begins in five minutes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

Not sure if this was asked and answered already, I didn't see it mentioned. With the 30% premium increase if you go two months without insurance, does that still apply if I go from one employer based plan to another? Just thinking that if I lose my job, and don't get insurance for a few months, and then find another job, would my new employer actually end up paying more for my insurance? I could honestly see companies taking that into effect when hiring someone if so.

No. Employer plans are handled entirely seperately.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

It's insane that the AHCA rollout happened like this. My assumption was that the WH took this as "a good first step", I think that's how Trump put it, and expected it to be worked over with amendments to bring in the other votes. But nope, Costa is saying that the WH is full speed ahead on AHCA. Why didn't the WH do a full court presser to try to shape the narrative? They let house release it and gave the media an entire day before they started their spin. I like to think Boehner is watching this and is screaming at the TV saying, "Amateurs."

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The answer is that the White House is staffed top to bottom with stupid people who can't do anything right.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bueno Papi posted:

It's insane that the AHCA rollout happened like this. My assumption was that the WH took this as "a good first step", I think that's how Trump put it, and expected it to be worked over with amendments to bring in the other votes. But nope, Costa is saying that the WH is full speed ahead on AHCA. Why didn't the WH do a full court presser to try to shape the narrative? They let house release it and gave the media an entire day before they started their spin. I like to think Boehner is watching this and is screaming at the TV saying, "Amateurs."

Because Trump doesn't know or care about the details. He has no idea what's even in it. And Congress is fed up waiting for him to care.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Almost (almost) makes me miss Shrub and Boehner. At least they were competently evil. Better the devil you know than a pack of rabid dogs.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Not sure if this was asked and answered already, I didn't see it mentioned. With the 30% premium increase if you go two months without insurance, does that still apply if I go from one employer based plan to another? Just thinking that if I lose my job, and don't get insurance for a few months, and then find another job, would my new employer actually end up paying more for my insurance? I could honestly see companies taking that into effect when hiring someone if so.

Just a PSA (for you or anyone else reading), but don't ever put yourself in this position. Just because you're out of work doesn't mean you're invulnerable to traffic accidents or any other random disaster. Pay for COBRA to stay on your old plan (up to 18 months, although some states like CA double that) until you find a new job. Always have continuous coverage.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Family Values posted:

Just a PSA (for you or anyone else reading), but don't ever put yourself in this position. Just because you're out of work doesn't mean you're invulnerable to traffic accidents or any other random disaster. Pay for COBRA to stay on your old plan (up to 18 months, although some states like CA double that) until you find a new job. Always have continuous coverage.

Agreed with this if you can afford COBRA. It's amazing how loving expensive some employer plans are once you remove the subsidization, and now you have no income.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Noctone posted:

Almost (almost) makes me miss Shrub and Boehner. At least they were competently evil. Better the devil you know than a pack of rabid dogs.

Aside from loving up a war and destabilizing the entire Middle East.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BarbarianElephant posted:

Bush hadn't hosed up the war and the entire middle east yet.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Sundae posted:

Agreed with this if you can afford COBRA. It's amazing how loving expensive some employer plans are once you remove the subsidization, and now you have no income.

True fact, when i changed health insurance plans at work, the system autonatically sent out a COBRA letter in the process and apparently my health insurance was like $480 a month. Good lord, i dont even make that a week. Itd destroy my savings

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
NY used to have a program called Healthy NY with plans starting at $199/month for the uninsured that were offered by a few private insurers and subsidized by the state - hopefully they bring that back.

I was on it a few years back pre-Obamacare. You could join anytime during the year but pre-existing conditions weren't covered for the first 6 months.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Family Values posted:

Part of it is that deductibles and coinsurance are so high that many poor people can't afford anything more than basic medical care even with insurance. Why should poor but healthy adults spend a significant portion of their income on insurance that they can't meet the deductible on if something catastrophic were to happen?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

One of the more esoteric parts of the AHCA is that it bans you from Medicaid if you win the lottery.

This doesn't actually have a test to it though, right? So if you ever win the lottery you can never get support, even if you're bankrupt?

Also, it seems like there are around 250 $1 million+ lottery winners in a year across all 50 states.

Also, my only wish is that there's success in labeling this Republicare just because I want this albatross hung over the whole party and not just Trump. Please.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ape Agitator posted:

This doesn't actually have a test to it though, right? So if you ever win the lottery you can never get support, even if you're bankrupt?

Also, it seems like there are around 250 $1 million+ lottery winners in a year across all 50 states.

Also, my only wish is that there's success in labeling this Republicare just because I want this albatross hung over the whole party and not just Trump. Please.

It spreads your winnings out over 10 years and counts it as income. So, if you won a million dollars, then your income would be 100k + whatever you made for 10 years and you could be kicked off Medicaid for making too much money.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

BarbarianElephant posted:

Dog it hasn't even been two months and reality is already stranger than fiction.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Konstantin posted:

Part of it is that deductibles and coinsurance are so high that many poor people can't afford anything more than basic medical care even with insurance. Why should poor but healthy adults spend a significant portion of their income on insurance that they can't meet the deductible on if something catastrophic were to happen?

I guarantee that if you fall down the stairs and end up needing orthopedic surgery the out of pocket cost without insurance will greatly exceed the deductible with insurance. That's saying nothing about your new plan, when you get one, having an exclusion period and whoops, cancer turns up. (Exclusion periods are still very much a thing even under ACA)

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
So? If you have $500 in savings there isn't much difference between a bill for a $6,000 insurance deductible and a hospital bill for $20,000, you can't pay either and are equally hosed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Family Values posted:

loving LOL if you think I can avoid COBRA. I can barely afford rent.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Konstantin posted:

So? If you have $500 in savings there isn't much difference between a bill for a $6,000 insurance deductible and a hospital bill for $20,000, you can't pay either and are equally hosed.

Yeah, poo poo's hosed. I'm not giving some by-your-bootstraps lecture here, but if someone can afford it they should definitely use their COBRA benefit rather than hoping for the best.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Cobra is.loving expensive. It used to be that if you had Medicaid and then changed to insurance that company would cover you even if you had pre existing conditions that was done away with though.

Use to though you could go from Medicaid to insurance and have a pre existing because of the Cobra regulations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/jsgpzCS.mp4

:lol:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

No Butt Stuff posted:

But of course middle class fuckers will decide that being able to sock away an additional 6500 in their HSA yearly is worth watching millions die.

Lol. I make a solidly middle-class salary of about 55K a year.

I can afford to sock 40 bucks a month in my company sponsored HSA, and do that solely to cover my prescriptions.

I like my HSA -- it's nice to be able to just swipe my debit card and pay for prescriptions without thinking about it much, I can use it for dental and vision care, and my company gives us 500-1100 bucks per year to go towards the deductible, which is only 1300 (lowest allowed for those kind of plans).

But it's also not for everyone, and I'd be hit HARD if something major were to happen or suddenly my deductible or max out of pocket tripled or something.

As for this whole bill...it's a mess that would eventually lead to a death spiral for most insurers. Most Americans spend at least one year below the poverty line at some point in their lives. That year of poverty is probably going to be marked by having no insurance -- especially in a state that hates Medicaid.

When they get back on their feet enough to have insurance, they find that they are going to get charged a 30% penalty. Which demotivates them to bother going to the doctor or getting insurance until that minor issue becomes a huge deal. Does that 30% penalty even cover the most negligible bit of the cost of treating the cancer? Or is everyone else saddled with the cost, causing their premiums to skyrocket, causing them to say "gently caress it, I'll risk being uninsured," until they suddenly need it?

What an awful bill.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Sigh.

A smartphone costs, at max, $700. Which makes no real sent in a major medical procedure, especially without insurance.

Also, there's a reason smartphones have 90+% market penetration in 10 years. They give you a nearly free source of entertainment and news, allow you to call your friends/family/job/emergency services, and let you apply for jobs online.

Fun fact: a cheap pre-paid smartphone that looks a lot like an iPhone costs $20. A Samsung prepaid costs $50. And my first smartphone -- a 1 generation old iPhone -- was given to me for free by a friend who had it sitting in a drawer and gave it to me when I mentioned in passing that I was interested in a deal I saw for them through AT&T.

It's one of the best investments a poor person can make.

Unless you're being ironic...in which case I apologize for the tangent.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Bueno Papi posted:

I like to think Boehner is watching this with popcorn. "Bet you wish you weren't in charge of this mess, don't you, Paul? Better you than me!"

The problem is that they had to do SOMETHING, and the sane option of "until we do <other thing> we can't give health care the attention it deserves" was a little too sane, the sensible option of "since we've been bitching about this for seven years, here's the plan we've been crafting all that time" didn't happen, they knew they didn't have enough votes for repeal-without-replace, and so we got... this. Nobody tried to smooth the release because everybody knew it was terrible, and they're desperately hoping it fails to get votes so they can say "welp we tried" rather than be stuck with "we successfully destroyed a thousand hospitals and killed a million little kids, go us" as a legacy.

blackmet posted:

Sigh.

A smartphone costs, at max, $700. Which makes no real sent in a major medical procedure, especially without insurance.

Also, there's a reason smartphones have 90+% market penetration in 10 years. They give you a nearly free source of entertainment and news, allow you to call your friends/family/job/emergency services, and let you apply for jobs online.

Fun fact: a cheap pre-paid smartphone that looks a lot like an iPhone costs $20. A Samsung prepaid costs $50. And my first smartphone -- a 1 generation old iPhone -- was given to me for free by a friend who had it sitting in a drawer and gave it to me when I mentioned in passing that I was interested in a deal I saw for them through AT&T.

It's one of the best investments a poor person can make.

Unless you're being ironic...in which case I apologize for the tangent.

I assumed that was a reaction to Jason Chaffetz saying, "Americans have choices. And they've got to make a choice. And so maybe rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and they want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care. They've got to make those decisions themselves."

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 8, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Let's assume republicans are all in for this. Can it pass without some Dem votes in favor as well??? Still not hearing a clear answer (i probably have a middle school level understanding of the process)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Let's assume republicans are all in for this. Can it pass without some Dem votes in favor as well??? Still not hearing a clear answer (i probably have a middle school level understanding of the process)

If the Republicans are unified they can do whatever they want.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is already a constant issue due to low Medicaid reimbursement rates.
Oh trust me, I know. I've got a patient who we've had for so long that we decannulated him in the ICU. I'm just saying its going to get worse and you'll lose the pretty potent cudgel that is CMS reimbursement criteria.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

I mean, only if they torpedo the filibuster, right?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Not good, because the Rand types are just doing political theater and will end up coming around imo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Noctone posted:

If the Republicans are unified, they can do whatever they want.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Fair does.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Noctone posted:

This is a budget reconciliation bill. The Senate limits discussion on those, meaning there is no filibuster.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Noctone posted:

The Republicans are using a special procedure that evades the filibuster, but limits the types of things they can put in the bill. They can also only use it once per year. Senate rules are arcane as all hell.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If that bill fails due to defections though, there's no redo, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BirdOfPlay posted:

This is a budget reconciliation bill. The Senate limits discussion on those, meaning there is no filibuster.

Right, but the "follow on" bills with selling across state lines or whatever would be subject to the filibuster.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Why all the talk of this being DOA in Senate? Sorry, I know nothing despite the reading I've done

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Why all the talk of this being DOA in Senate? Sorry, I know nothing despite the reading I've done

Republicans from states that trend blue* and bright into the Medicaid expansion are against it and the Rand Pauls are angry that it isn't just a repeal.

*yes I need this qualifier because Kentucky expanded Medicare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Rand and Lee are opposed to it because it doesn't just repeal Obamacare. Those four senators from monday who said they wouldn't vote for any rollback of medicaid are presumably also against it. Republicans can lose at most two votes (assuming no Dems vote for it), those total 6.