Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I'm a credentialed Actuary and have been working for a major health insurer for close to 5 years, including pricing ACA plans.

This healthcare bill is a loving dumpster fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
They really have nothing to stand on to defend this bill. It raises costs, lessens coverage, replaces the mandate with a slightly different thing that functions even worse, and really does leave in place most of Obamacare.

They somehow cobbled together a design by committee bill that will benefit seemingly no one. Seemingly all elements of the health care industry are united in declaring it a terrible idea. It's a bill that exists only so they can pretend that Obamacare was "repealed and replaced" just like they promised their voters. And to satisfy Paul Ryan's raging fetish for block grants.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

But guys, Paul Ryan is a wonk! He's a numbers guy!

This poo poo reads like a final project assigned at the beginning of the semester but written on the bus the day it was due.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

They really have nothing to stand on to defend this bill. It raises costs, lessens coverage, replaces the mandate with a slightly different thing that functions even worse, and really does leave in place most of Obamacare.

They somehow cobbled together a design by committee bill that will benefit seemingly no one. Seemingly all elements of the health care industry are united in declaring it a terrible idea. It's a bill that exists only so they can pretend that Obamacare was "repealed and replaced" just like they promised their voters. And to satisfy Paul Ryan's raging fetish for block grants.

It repeals the 3.8% capital gains tax on >250k earners, who are the only constituency Republicans care about.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
And repeals the cap on deductions for insurance industry execs making over $500,000/yr.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
And repeals the extra 0.9% Medicare tax on incomes over 250k.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress the GOP, the money-grubbing assholes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress the GOP, the money-grubbing assholes.

Actually, healthcare isn't about money at all. You're being very crass by even bringing money into the equation.

quote:

Asked about estimates showing large increases in premiums for many older and low-income Americans under the Republican Health Bill on "Good Morning America," Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price said, "Our goal is to make certain costs come down."

"Most Americans don't think of healthcare in terms of deductibles, premiums, or how much will the government give me. They want to pick a doctor they trust and select the treatment options that they want."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Actually, healthcare isn't about money at all. You're being very crass by even bringing money into the equation.

Nonsense, he was quite clear about his goals:

"Our goal is to make certain costs come down. Specifically, tax costs. Of the rich. No, not ones related to health care, what a silly question, their overall taxes."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

quote:

"Most Americans don't think of healthcare in terms of deductibles, premiums, or how much will the government give me. They want to pick a doctor they trust and select the treatment options that they want."

As someone who pays a significant percentage of my otherwise generally comfortable income on healthcare on a regular basis, those first three things are basically all I think about in terms of healthcare. Half the time you don't even get much choice of doctors or treatments anyway.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Christ what an artful dodge on the question.

"Actually cost doesn't matter at all." Without actually saying it of course, because that would be suicidal.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Subvisual Haze posted:

it drops subsidies for young people and raises it for old people, it's the Republicans transferring wealth to their voter base

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Typo posted:

it drops subsidies for young people and raises it for old people, it's the Republicans transferring wealth to their voter base

Jokes on you it only helps rich old people and rich in general (with the removal of tax increases from ACA funding)

That's why AARP doesn't like it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Typo posted:

It raises subsidies a little for old people in some cases but not others, but raises premiums a lot for all old people. It's not a transfer of wealth to old people. Its a transfer of wealth from old people to wealthy people, mostly.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, watching Paul Ryan on CNN. He wants getting healthcare to be like shopping for a car. Like it wasn't bad enough to start with.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Did he sleep through the first day of Econ 101 when they talked about elastic vs inelastic demand? Does he not realize there are no sticker prices on major procedures and that doctors don't give out estimates?

Numbers guy! Wonk!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Healthcare price haggling also works differently than buying a car because you negotiate after the service has been performed, and you can't repossess a surgery.

I don't see how any system that reduces coverage or makes people more responsible for their own medical costs will do anything other than result in more hospitals getting stiffed by people who can't afford to pay and figure if the bill is $30k and they only have $2k to their name, gently caress it I won't pay anything.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It's okay for a car salesman to have an incentive to sell as many cars as possible. It's bad for a hospital to have an incentive to perform as many MRIs as possible.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/citizencohn/status/839884883015118849

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
He also suggested that the Federal government subsidize individual states to cover people with pre-existing conditions. This means that people without pre-existing conditions won't have to subsidize them. But that sounds to me like they will be through their Federal Taxes, which makes me ask the question, why not just make the whole thing Federally funded?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

SimonCat posted:

He also suggested that the Federal government subsidize individual states to cover people with pre-existing conditions. This means that people without pre-existing conditions won't have to subsidize them. But that sounds to me like they will be through their Federal Taxes, which makes me ask the question, why not just make the whole thing Federally funded?

Go back to pre-ACA individual insurance where insurers can underwrite, but make it so they can only deny coverage according to new federal underwriting guidelines. If someone is denied coverage in this manner, make them immediately eligible for medicaid or medicare. Subsidized single payer system for the people that it doesn't make sense to offer insurance in a typical commercial fashion, and inexpensive insurance designed to cover catastrophic losses and prevent bankruptcy for the people where it does make sense.

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 9, 2017

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

quote:

So I assume the new bill allows patients to keep their trusted doctor if they move to a new plan without worrying about if the doctor is "in-network?" And it also requires that insurance companies cover a wide range of treatment options? I must have missed those parts.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh my god OH MY GOD

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I guess that explains the difficulties the GOP had with all this. They just fundamentally do not comprehend how insurances work.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
"Every employer plan"?

What about insurance in general? How could any kind of insurance work if not for the pool of uninjured/undamaged payers "subsidizing" the injured/damaged?

Is it that these people are unable to see insurance as anything but a savings account, hence accounting for their endless braying about it?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It really is a shame that Alan Grayson turned out to be a huge piece of poo poo wife-beater or whatever, because his firebrand speech about the Republican Health Care plan from 2009 is really excellent.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Perestroika posted:

I guess that explains the difficulties the GOP had with all this. They just fundamentally do not comprehend how insurances work.

Yep.

So many conservatives whine about 'paying for pregnancies' or 'ob visits' when they 'don't have a vagina.'

Um, those women are paying for your loving diabetes and obesity. That's how insurance loving works y'all.

You pay for sick people when you're healthy. Healthy people pay for you when you're sick.

Horrible 2D thinking, steeped in selfishness and Randian horseshit.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cheesus posted:

"Every employer plan"?

What about insurance in general? How could any kind of insurance work if not for the pool of uninjured/undamaged payers "subsidizing" the injured/damaged?

Is it that these people are unable to see insurance as anything but a savings account, hence accounting for their endless braying about it?

IT'S THE loving SINE QUA NON OF THE VERY CONCEPT OF INSURANCE HOLY poo poo

Edit: gently caress

mdemone fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 9, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Something's happened in the markup session:

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/839905011895320576

edit: dammit, start there and click through to read the rest. A major Medicare shift to try to appeal to Republicans.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Wait poo poo

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/839908151164026882
https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/839908377308368896

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 9, 2017

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Just found out the sun is going supernova to subvert my great great healthcare plan that would help America bigly. This is a new low. Sad!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

So now they're bringing it to the House floor without even that meager sop to older citizens?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Perestroika posted:

They do. What Paul really wants to say, but knows he can't, is that the rich should not subsidize the poor. But he's a good enough politician to not say it out loud, but because he was thinking it at the time he produced that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
People keep saying this bill "isn't anything" but the GOP plan to changing health insurance has been refundable tax credits forever. It was going all the way back to McCain 08, at least. It only looks stupid because a plan was implemented that went so much further than what they offered eight years ago, and they're still arguing as if we're still under the old model of healthcare when this bill would have at least been a small, ever so tiny incremental step in improving things. But gently caress that poo poo now, Republicans failed to block an entitlement and once people taste the mana of a public service they try to preserve it.

They should either keep the tax credits but keep Medicaid as-is, or drop Medicaid expansion but keep/expand the current subsidy model to cover lower incomes (Republicans would like that latter one since it increases the amount of free money the government is throwing at big businesses, just like when they let private insurers into Medicare.) Or just tweak the exemption on businesses that don't have healthcare upward but leave the funding systems as it is.

I think they really don't know what the hell they're in for when they bring job lock back to the economy and entrepreneurship tanks (all these Uber drivers etc over the past five years happened because health care was less connected to being a full time employee). But you can't go back to someone working at a big huge national hardware store, working around hammers and nails and saw blades all day, and not giving them insurance.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oxxidation posted:

So now they're bringing it to the House floor without even that meager sop to older citizens?

I'm pretty sure that amendment was to make things even worse, actually.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure that amendment was to make things even worse, actually.

Correct; the Barton amendment would have forced the medicaid rollbacks to occur on Jan. 1 2018, rather than 2020.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

That was the amendment to end the Medicaid expansion two years earlier then planned.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

People keep saying this bill "isn't anything" but the GOP plan to changing health insurance has been refundable tax credits forever. It was going all the way back to McCain 08, at least. It only looks stupid because a plan was implemented that went so much further than what they offered eight years ago, and they're still arguing as if we're still under the old model of healthcare when this bill would have at least been a small, ever so tiny incremental step in improving things. But gently caress that poo poo now, Republicans failed to block an entitlement and once people taste the mana of a public service they try to preserve it.

The GOP plan has always been nothing. GOP members have proposed plans, but there has never been any sort of "GOP Plan" until now. Why conservatives are furious is that they were never going to sign onto those assorted plans: they understood them to be a talking point that would never be implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The best part of all of this is that we have to defend Obamacare as something else than a complete handout to insurance companies, lie about how premiums TOTALLY NEVER WENT UP FOR ANYONE EVER, etc. just because the alternative is worse