Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I wouldn't even say it was 15 million it's probably going to be higher than that if this get's through (it won't) but if it does then well it's going to be disastrous. They've somehow made it worse than what things were before Obamacare.

It's just insane.

I don't even know what I am going to do. I've started researching buying drugs from other countries. Thankfully, I am in process right now to get Dual Citizenship with Lithuania. Unless something fucks that up so I'll be able to get the gently caress out of the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think we should focus on all the kids this will kill.

I'm not being hyperbolic. A lot of kids are on Medicaid.

If Medicaid is just a block grant, no longer need-based, then the states can cut those Medicaid services at will.

We are talking millions and millions of children who are at risk of losing their medical coverage, many of them desperately ill. You think states are going to cover things like heart transplants for poor kids if they aren't being forced to by the federal government?

This reform is legislative child murder. Mass murder. Class genocide.

Weirdly Medicaid covers some transplant services the kicker though is that they often don't cover the anti rejection drugs.

Yeah this is gonna kill thousands of children .

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Medicaid is the main insurance for people who are on SSI and sometimes SSDI. So what you're going to have is this large swathe of people lose their health insurance and have reduced services because of these block grants. I think people forget that as well. Either that or you'll have more restrictions on income etc.. for people on SSI and SSDI.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well that pretty much destroys healthcare for women and costs them even more money to spend to get just basic coverage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah the Koch brothers are wanting a full repeal so I don't think this is going to pass at all.

What are they doing with the budget reconciliation process?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I am wondering if this could actually lead to a economic crisis. Okay, so we know less uninsured means a lower employment rate for the healthcare industry which is 5 times the size of the auto industry. We also know that killing Medicaid will cause hospitals to close. That's not even a question a good example of this is look up what happened to Baton Rouge General hospital in Louisiana. If then Gov Bobby had accepted it then this hospital could have kept it's ER open. It's now struggling to stay open a tremendous amount of rural hospitals are as well.

So if a lot of these hospitals which are operating at barely a loss lose those insured people the close we could see a spike in unemployment which would stress the market even more because they wouldn't be able to get health insurance.

It seems to me a similar situation to the auto industry debacle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's really just old white people angry that African American families can get Medicaid that they don't have to " pay for". That was literally what one of my family members told me why they supported kicking millions off. " The people who need it will still get it but they'll get rid of hanger ons"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cobra is.loving expensive. It used to be that if you had Medicaid and then changed to insurance that company would cover you even if you had pre existing conditions that was done away with though.

Use to though you could go from Medicaid to insurance and have a pre existing because of the Cobra regulations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If they enact the changes your going to see a rise in deaths from HIV complications. Right now a lot of that is funded and subsidized by Medicaid and other programs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So apparently there's going to be some negotiations on this because the Freedom Caucus is super pissed. Has anyone heard or read of the additional changes so this could pass the house?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We'd probably suffer at minimum a significant increase in unemployment if we suddenly lost 15 Million people off of insurance. Some studies show that 1 in 8 Americans work in the health care field in some capacity .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dandiamond/2015/03/05/five-years-ago-they-called-obamacare-a-job-killer-heres-what-they-say-now/#30b4fc253214

Studies indicate that it did boost employment after all so gutting the Medicaid expansion or loving with it will cause a reduction in the work force.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2015/02/20/obamacare-jobs-grow-faster-in-medicaid-expansion-states/#4c66a311bc75

Can you imagine the fall out if they did repeal it? Your talking a massive sticker shock of job losses in a relative short period of time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I checked with a local pharmacy and I can get a subsidized prescription when I lose health insurance. Not sure how.long that will last though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

How is that a scam?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ah I see what your saying. Yes, that makes sense and is scammy.

I remember recently that there was a article stating that after ACA drug companies were doing real well.

Here's another Forbes on it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2013/05/25/obamacare-will-bring-drug-industry-35-billion-in-profits/#2c25cf4d34a5

The more I see the impacts of ACA and Medicaid the more I think that if Republican's get their way they'll crash the healthcare industry with their changes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Remember when I said that the repeal would affect HIV transmissions.....

http://time.com/money/4693379/healthcare-hiv-prep/

quote:

Emtricitabine/tenofovir was approved for medical use in the United States in 2004.[1] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.[7] The wholesale cost in the developing world is about 6.06 to 7.44 USD per month.[5] In the United States, as of 2016, the wholesale cost is about 1415.00 USD per month.[8]

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 11, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

24 Million is low considering that the Republican's plans are to block grant Medicaid and then with each following budget reduce the block grant amounts.

24 million Holy Christ. I'm pretty sure that'd we would be even worse off than before Obamacare.

quote:

In total, CBO estimated that 52 million people in the U.S. would be uninsured in 2026 if the House bill became law, completely wiping out the insurance gains that have been made under Obamacare over the last seven years.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/cbo-gop-obamacare-repeal-plan-236007

Jesus loving Christ I can't imagine what would happen if 52 million people were uninsured. This would be devastating economically, socially, etc.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 13, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Obamacare almost directly led to a growth in the healthcare industry employment

http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2016/07/what-is-the-effect-of-obamacare-economy-000164

If 14 million people lose their insurance we will most certainly see a rise in unemployment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's because they're massively reducing federal matching rates and placing the burden on the states, along with the block grant. This is basically going to gently caress Medicaid over pretty badly because enrollment eligibility is handled at the state level.

You'll have situations like Texas where the cut off is some ridiculously low income amount I think it's less than 200 dollars. It's insane.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That is actually lower than the uninsured % was before Obamacare.

Yes but that sudden loss over the next few years will have a effect because the markets adjusting to having more insured.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

This is a good thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

"If you want your medicine Grandma you better get to work in the fields"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Republicans basically want black people and the poors to pick cotton in order to get healthcare.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Isn't the phrase " Work will set you Free" or am I wrong

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So is the plan to repeal dead because of in fighting because that would be great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The only thing that is saving a majority of Americans from slow death from lack of healthcare is basically the fact that Republicans want them to die real fast. Christ.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't know what Price and co.can actually do to sabotage things.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'd said this before but I think Kansas will be the first to destroy it's Medicaid system. I actually think I got it figured out. What will happen is they'll gut Medicaid then have like 2 to 3 "charity" hospitals where everyone has to go if they don't have health insurance.

Basically, bring back the Charity Hospital system of the 80s

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

If they do pass it I will go ahead and call the snowball effect that losing that many people from the market will cause when the Healthcare industry which employs a shitload of people starts laying people off and then those people cannot get insurance

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/886236414492295168

Shop around, they said

Freedom to choose, they said

Wow, so this could possibly just kill people that's insane. Have cheap plan , get cancer, not covered, die.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Don't both of those states have incredibly problems with opioid addictions?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I still can't get over a man dying of brain cancer stripping away healthcare from millions of people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Wait what is the wrap around process again is that where they reintroduce amendments to the bill ?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume "The invisible hand!" Is an acceptable response?

I actually don't understand that waiver thing or rather what that tweet is calling out

How does this bill destroy coverage for pre existing conditions

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like how Kentucky of course tried that first and watched the market implode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The question is whether the markets would be destroyed by the 2018 elections and how badly it would affect the elections