Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Healthy young people want no insurance without a mandate why would they give a flying gently caress about catastrophic coverage otherwise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/856172721016897536

The mean-spirited condescension of this proposal is absolutely infuriating.

On Medicaid? I'll just hold your new eyeglass prescription and your badly needed root canal over your head until you stop the poor life choices you must be making and get the high school education I smugly assume you don't have.

I mean it's dumb but Medicaid doesn't cover dental or vision if your over 18 in Kentucky so it would be better than the nothing already.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope this presidency just destroys the Trump name. He is not going to please anyone and does not deserve the amount of money he makes off the brand.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Be a plumber. No joke.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

A choice between being financially hosed and being financially destroyed isn't much of a choice.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My dad vehemently refutes UHC because everyone from the UK he knows pays a lot in taxes and it doesn't help them much. It takes forever to do things and they have to have private insurance to get anything done. He says what's the point of waiting six months for an MRI if you're dead?

To which I explained it would still be better than nothing if Trump took everything away again. I asked him how would you get treated if you didn't have insurance and he said you can go to a hospital they have to treat you. But when I asked who do you think pays for the bankruptcy a lot of people will file because of the bills they can't pay, that kind of shut him up.

This is the dumb poo poo you have to deal with. UHC is only going to improve the countries prosperity regardless of its disadvantages and that should be the number one goal. I wish people would understand that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope that with all the outcry the ACA has been getting that we will have a single payer system within my lifetime. A lot of people had to get insurance for the first time in their lives and they actually liked it. It wasn't perfect but I think most sane people understood we need something to fall back on that isn't bankruptcy. I think Obama said it best in that there were things wrong with it but you can always try to change them for the better. Just pitching it on the floor helps nobody except for maybe the rich.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It wouldn't even get rid of your good work insurance you'd just have more options but bloo bloo I have to pay 30 bucks a paycheck for everyone else (ignores Medicare).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And you would think a healthy and smart population would be a good financial investment for corporations. But what the gently caress would I know?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you wanna get real macro level about it: having free healthcare for your population helps cut down medical costs due to preventative care, helps cut down on bankruptcy costs. Healthy populations are smarter and more productive. Like you said more jobs to help cover the whole populations needs. Plus a bunch of things I’m sure I’m forgetting. These would also make rich people richer but gently caress minorities and poor people I guess.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If they'd just implement single payer nobody would care after the first few years.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably, but they won’t be affordable since everyone that doesn’t want insurance is going to drop their plan like it’s a beehive. At least until the economy tanks from it and all the insurance companies pull out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Seems silly but at our Walmart there is an outreach clinic that is part of the local hospital that charges decent rates for simple things. Some Insurance covers it and you can get stuff like antibiotics pretty fast. Keep that in mind too.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

No Equifax still provides the workforce stuff, it’s state dependent but unless you don’t file taxes or started self employment recently they use tax return to verify income. Some states want to verify if you have money stashed away in an account but a state like Kentucky does not care.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it shouldn’t matter either way since you would get the money back or have to pay the fine when you file taxes. I’ll speak for Kentucky as I know what they need, they want your tax return and only take personal records when you can’t provide it or your income changes enough to warrant personal records. In theory that is. States like to put in certain requirements to make it hard for people so they don’t have to spend as much money on it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The whole system is going to implode soon.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They won’t afford it so UHC happens or insurance cuts everything and people just file bankruptcy to the point it crashes the economy. The way people are pushing UHC now though I could totally see it happen within my lifetime.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

i am harry posted:

Goon parents post itt the total cost of your child's day of delivery.

Think it cost us about 4kish when all was set and done. Real lovely part was the birth was in February so we had to meet our deductible again. We’ll be paying it off for a few years at least. What a loving joke.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We have the wellness program and there’s some sort of penalty for not doing the yearly survey, I can’t remember exactly what though. You can get gift cards and junk but then you’re supposed to pay taxes on them at the end of the year, go gently caress yourselves.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kentucky has been trying to ram work requirements into it so don’t get too cozy it’s coming down the pipeline. A judge ruled against it but I bet it won’t be much longer.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean it’s all under the disguise of helping people find jobs and make their lives better. But really it’s just to get people off Medicaid since the state can’t afford the expansion on its own. Really lovely thing is it’s more strict than the SNAP work requirements because you have to go through the insurance company if you want to say you’re unable to work without already being on disability.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Income guidelines for a single person household in KY is 1100ish a month so about 13k a year so it’s pretty close.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea but man that poo poo adds up. A lot of people including me can’t afford even the 100ish dollar copays and that’s before they heap some stupid rear end fees they never tell you about cause they need to take a “routine” blood test that cost 200 dollars.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes but that’s not a good solution.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Anyone know how med school in India works? Lot of doctors get imported from other countries which I assume is cause it’s cheaper and easier to find good candidates.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s real dumb and with the mandate going away the junk plans aren’t getting any better. Plus states like KY are fighting tooth and nail to put in work requirements on Medicaid expansion adults.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well nobody in the US really does preventative care cause it’s expensive to go to the doctor so they don’t go unless there is an emergency. For most people they think it won’t effect them and that 1 out of 4 is sitting on 100,000 dollars of medical bills and is acutely aware.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Get yourself better friend, it may not be the answer you want but the IRS is so understaffed they probably aren’t going to audit someone at poverty level cause there’s nothing to gain and it’s a waste of resources.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That’s probably not completely true, there’s probably something else they can do. Medicare for all isn’t bulletproof, but imagine now you actually work minimum wage and it’s just enough to not be eligible for Medicaid but all you can afford is a catastrophic plan. Oh and your medication isn’t covered so you have to pay 150 dollars a month just on meds.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably be worth stashing the money and filling bankruptcy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

MAGI takes gross income. Unless you have kids it’s pretty hard to get unless you wanna live super poor.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Sounds like s great reason to file bankruptcy to me, loving morons.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Imagine if you had to pay 2 million dollars for the polio vaccine just because it would keep you from ever contracting the disease and think of the savings!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We’d probably save a lot of money by lowering costs and keeping a lot of people from having to file bankruptcy but shhhhhhhhhhh.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yup

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well that’s because the government pays for dialysis.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it’s complete horseshit why anybody with half a loving brain cell would take this poo poo over universal healthcare deserves the crippling debt they will get.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I know that poo poo drives me up a wall. I had to get surgery a couple years ago and they literally waited till right before Christmas to approve it. So I had surgery December 27 a few more days and I would have had to pay up my deductible again after spending half a year spending up to it to begin with. gently caress you I spend a lot every month just cover whatever I need.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Which is a good reminder that if you have elderly parents, it’s going to be hard, but convince them to get their resources situated cause if they have to go into a facility they will take everything they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

How do you suggest you get your resources situated? My dad's going into a nursing home pretty soon and while my mother has power of attorney and everything I'm still worried about what they could do to gently caress with their finances beyond what is agreed to be paid to the facility. Fwiw my dad does have a DNR and wants to die.

E: my dad has issues which my mom can't handle physically or mentally anymore, even with outside help. We're not just dumping him in a home.

It’s different state to state, if they have any appreciable resources they don’t want to lose IE: house, property, retirement funds. Talk to a lawyer that specializes in it. It will be worth the time and money spent on it. Lawyers I deal with know some loop holes I never knew about and even if you have to give up some of it they won’t take it all. Sooner the better.