Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

look they need donald trump's signature on it wut do you want them to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Subvisual Haze posted:

They really have nothing to stand on to defend this bill. It raises costs, lessens coverage, replaces the mandate with a slightly different thing that functions even worse, and really does leave in place most of Obamacare.

They somehow cobbled together a design by committee bill that will benefit seemingly no one. Seemingly all elements of the health care industry are united in declaring it a terrible idea. It's a bill that exists only so they can pretend that Obamacare was "repealed and replaced" just like they promised their voters. And to satisfy Paul Ryan's raging fetish for block grants.

it drops subsidies for young people and raises it for old people, it's the Republicans transferring wealth to their voter base

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

TyrantWD posted:

Trump already came out in support of the bill, so there is no retreat. As soon as a journalist frames the question in a way that suggests defeat, he will triple down, and before you know it Tom Cotton will be calling it the gold standard of healthcare bills.

It's funny that the GOP's first order of business was to take take their total control of Washington and put it back up for grabs in 2018.

will he really though I mean he claimed that he appointed Bannon to the NSC cuz he didn't read the documents he was signing maybe he'll just say someone lied to him about what was in the bill

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

VitalSigns posted:

This is incredible.

I still can't believe "we have a secret healthcare plan, whatever it is you want, that's exactly it" loving worked

holy poo poo

now that I think about it was the exact same trick Nixon pulled with his secret Vietnam War winning plan

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Which is more humiliating for Trump, it being shot down in a vote or just thrown away without a vote?

Or are you saying that Ryan will force a vote no matter what to try and share the blame for failure?

definitely forcing a vote and failing it

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

axeil posted:

The GOP can't afford to pass this bill. The ACA was passed with lukewarm popularity and got worse over the rest of 2010 and the Dems lost a historic 60+ seats in the fall. This bill isn't even law yet and the approval rating is around 30% among Republicans. They're going to be annihilated if they pass it and that's why everyone with even half a brain in the caucus is jumping ship.

If Ryan wasn't a complete idiot he'd realize this bill is absolute poison and its passage means the end of his Speakership.

lol the GOP hosed themselves

they are screwed if they pass it or if they don't pass it

the only thing saving them is democratic imcompetence

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
sorry guys i think the lovely trumpcare bill passes either tmr or next week: the suicide caucus is suicidal but not that suicidal, they want to get re-elected and trump is playing the "I don't care if I win re-election" madman theory chess move.

the HFC will bend and the moderates will go along because it's more politically suicidal not to pass a repeal than to pass a repeal

Trump played this pretty well except for signing up for it in the first place thing, the senate OTOH is gonna be much bigger challenge

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Paracaidas posted:

HFC districts are among the safest in the House, and they won't be facing primaries from the right over this. In addition to the Koch war chest that's been pledged.

If trump starts doing rallies in their districts idk man, he can primary them from the Trump-Axis if he has to

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
welp

https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/845106131357847552
https://twitter.com/byrdinator/status/845109772634542080

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
https://twitter.com/dcraiggordon/status/845308002513174528

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Also Cuba is a bit of a misnomer.

Yeah you get great healthcare when your island has been cut off from civilization for the past 50 years, doctor is the only decent job on the entire island, and education is free for students, and there are more doctors than there are cars because there's literally no other career worth studying when you don't even have access to computers, television, or radio. Much less a international market.

There are plenty of doctors in Cuba. They don't have barely any resources.

You can get 5 of them around you treating a cold though. So win-win?

also doesn't cuba literally have laws preventing doctors from emigrating?

I don't think that's do-able in democracies

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Do you guys think this is actually true?

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/325865-report-ryan-pleaded-on-one-knee-for-obamacare-repeal-vote

quote:

At one point, the paper said, House Speaker Paul Ryan (Wis.) got down on one knee to plead with Rep. Don Young of Alaska – the longest-serving Republican in Congress -- to support the bill. (He was unsuccessful.)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HappyHippo posted:

Literally nobody will care about this by the next election, if anyone even cares now.

if it passes the senate yeah ppl will care cuz there will be trump voters dying on tv to curable diseases and poo poo and that makes republicans look bad

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Azhais posted:

I'm sure the 5% of voters that don't just look for the (R) or (D) will be very inspired to change their votes

Hillary would have won the election if it were not for Obama->Trump vote flippers

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

HappyHippo posted:

I'm talking about the singing by dems "looking bad," as the post I quoted was suggesting. People will care about healthcare, they won't care about some lawmakers singing Sha Na Na.

ok I see, I agree with you there

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
shoulda sucked it up and voted hillary rustbelt people

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
lol even if repeal replace dies (again) this time they'll keep bringing it up every month or two until Nov 2018 (and beyond if they keep a healthy margin in the house)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

evilweasel posted:

Rand Paul appears to be trying to make sure C-G never even gets a vote, just need Collins and Murkowski to publicly say they won't vote for it. After that point the rest of the "moderates" will defect, but none of them can be trusted to be the decisive vote.

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/909776281847386112

paul will cave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reconciliation dude.

yeah it expires for this year in 2 weeks but then 2018