Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

EugeneJ posted:

So if a poor wins the lottery they die

That's very Republican

It's literally a "gently caress you" clause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Increase out of pocket costs for most plans. This will incentivize healthier people to get skimpier plans and seek treatment less often.
- Increase costs on those who are likely to use lots of services and use that to give a discount to healthier people.
- The first two points are combined to try to lower monthly expenses for people on individual plans, but greatly increase the upfront cost of using services.
- Provide fixed costs to the government.

So now healthcare is being driven by the same shortsighted ignorance used by people who buy cars based solely on the monthly payment. Also discouraging people from actually using the care they pay for. :thumbsup:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Mind_Taker posted:

Forgive me for asking what might be a very simple question: why won't Republicans be able to pass this bill in both the House and the Senate when they have majorities in both? Are there really enough that would take a stand and vote it down? Why wouldn't they just take the party line and vote in favor of it?

You need 60 votes in the Senate. The Republicans have 52.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I think the path of least resistance for them is to pass it in the house and have it die in the senate. That way house members get to take credit for the vote and the right wing media can shift the blame to senate democrats.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The only way that doesn't blow up in their face is if they can sabotage the existing system so that it is actually "failing" like Trump says.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

If they just fold up and don't do anything, the people who voted for them are going to be pissed.

Maybe for a week or two, but right wing media will just blame Democrats and refocus their attention on the next outrage.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/reason-no-3567934-why-congressional-democrats-are.html

I hope this is just speculation because holy poo poo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Guys just quietly roll over on the healthcare poor people genocide bill, it's way more important to focus on more nebulous Russia poo poo that absolutely has more of an effect on everyday Americans than their soon to be gone healthcare.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Azathoth posted:

What, specifically, should Democrats do that they're not already doing? I'm seeing and hearing all of my elected officials speaking out, and a whole bunch of others, but that's obviously not enough to stop McConnell.

So, I put to you, what specific things do the Democrats have in their bag of tricks to stop the GOP healthcare bill?

Make a spectacle of it. That followup Politico story is what I'm talking about. I know it's a lost cause, but the theater of this matters for 2018- you want to be portrayed as going down fighting rather than just meekly surrendering because people are going to loving hate this bill. You want to make sure every GOP shitbag owns their vote for this horror show.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Everything else attached to the Trump brand is a total scam, so why not make bootleg, junk TrumpCare "insurance product"*.

*not for medical use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Dumb gently caress wants to make the hardship exempation broader is what the EO will be about, which will be wonderful to see cause cascade effects if it even is possible to change.

Reminder congress is talking of putting a full mandate repeal in the tax cut bill to pay for the death tax repeal.
And implode every insurance market in the country in under a year because of a cascade effect of healthy people leaving the market and only the sick and people that are going for surgery actually buying insurance.
Can you say death spiral in the insurance market for all policies from individual to employer?

Voters in Virginia, while handing the GOP their rear end, just said that healthcare was their biggest issue when it wasn't mentioned at all during the campaign. Congress would have to be suicidal to try any funny business with the insurance markets from now on because voters know exactly who would be responsible for wrecking things.