Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

two year window on funding and two year window on Medicaid = they'll try a full repeal after the midterms

betcha Ryan will try moving Medicare to block grants after 2018, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

suburban virgin posted:

I don't think you're going to get single-payer or socialized medicine in the U.S. The population, the industry, the entrenched powers just won't accept it without guillotines.

The general population of the US would be primed to accept single-payer, since we're all socialized (pun intended) to seeing the MEDICARE TAX WITHHELD line item on every pay stub. Even if that number went up significantly, a lot of people would grumble but they'd accept it if they're getting something concrete out of it.

That of course wouldn't fly with the health industrial complex and since bribery is legal every member of Congress is bought & paid for to oppose it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

evilweasel posted:

I don't think it's happening. I was already feeling vaguely hopeful but if Senator Cotton, noted piece of poo poo and fervent Trumpenstaffel sturmgrenadier, is saying its a stupid piece of poo poo that will make health care worse, I don't see it getting anywhere in the Senate.

I didn't think Don would win, either, so I'm just going to assume this will pass until it doesn't.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Homer is the head safety inspector at a nuclear power plant. There's no way he makes less than $130k/year.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kekekela posted:

Does cutting NASA's budget show a commitment to NASA?

commitment to ending their climate science research, yeah

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zikan posted:

You can't just repeal the individual mandate and call it a day because you risk causing a death spiral in the health insurance markets if people drop coverage and only pick it up when they become sick en mass.

Ultimately Republicans are A-OK with socializing losses via bailouts so this is probably what some of them will want to do. Just rescue the insurance companies when they get in trouble, and use that as an excuse to tear down the rest of it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

the bill passing is the dumbest outcome, so I'm guessing it's going to happen

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

...they're really going to make it like car insurance

If health insurance were like car insurance, it would cover... eyeglasses and funerals.

Health insurance that doesn't cover hospitalization or emergency services is just a scam. Just theft from whoever they can con into paying premiums.

I'm not surprised Republicans came up with the idea.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If they delay the vote too long, people will have time to read what's in it

Can't have that, so they'll have to change it again before the vote

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most truckers I've seen are so fat I'm surprised they can climb into a truck

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

All healthcare is DOA

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

I love how it's newsworthy that the President of the United States did not throw a temper tantrum this morning.

Sunday morning talk shows will be brutal

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Xae posted:

Countries have control over the price that consumers pay at retail, but the countries can't force drug companies to sell drugs at whatever price the state wants.

They can and they do.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The PPACA will die this time for sure, we promise

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

well my insurance would only approximately double in price under that plan

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd classify Democrats as "embarrassing" rather than disgusting.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

St. Dogbert posted:

Any idea as to what this Senate rewrite may look like? I'm assuming that, since they're coming up with a new bill from scratch, there are going to be major differences from the version passed by the House.

On the one hand, Senate Republicans are by and large much smarter politicians than their House counterparts and the more vulnerable among them won't vote for something that may cost them re-election.

On the other hand, Senate Republicans would happily order every one of you killed if it gets them a tax cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Covok posted:

So what are the chances of the health-care bill gets revived before it goes to that vote they have planned? What are the chances that under the pressure of the vote they vote it in to the shock and horror of us all?

It will never die as long as Republicans have a majority and want to find money for tax cuts. They will keep trying until it passes or they lose control.