Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Perhaps when doctors order an overdose, they should be required to type the precise percentage it will be an overdose by, e.g.

"You have ordered a 1500mg dose of Floobium for a patient weighing 100lbs. This is an overdose of 17,000%. Please type "17,000%" to verify that you are aware of this.

If the number is different each time, the doctor won't be able to just go click, click, click on autopilot. But they will not be inconvenienced with ordering a 150% overdose for a unique circumstance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Cheesus posted:

Only the consumer logic of "a cheaper product is better regardless of quality".

While I'd love to believe that people who care/need to continue with ACA plans will read the fine print, we're talking about Americans.

"But it doesn't cover 90% of what you need or actually currently use" will be overridden by "I can save 50% of any amount a month? YES!"

2018: "I can get a healthcare plan for half the price? Thank you President Trump!"
2019: "What do you mean this healthcare plan doesn't cover the condition I was just diagnosed with? Curse you, Democrats for not warning me! You liberals don't care about the white working man! All you care about is helping gay minorities!"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

That's not the whole story. The Democrats worked overtime to make sure they lost Ted Kennedy's seat, trying to replace him with an empty suit with no charisma who couldn't even pretend to know about Boston sports (which is an absolutely stupid and absolutely necessary part of Massachusetts politics).

Who the gently caress cares about stupid tribal loyalties like that when people's lives are at stake? Take some loving responsibility. I'm a huge Dungeons and Dragons fan but I don't give a flying gently caress whether a politician has even heard of the game. Grow up, sports fans.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
I certainly wouldn't vote for a man who can't spell "Drizzt" though.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Republicans find most Democrats easy to attack, because they usually fail on pandering to the tribal loyalties of morons. If you spend your formative years studying law and economics, you end up kinda boring but also quite good at running things. Think Angela Merkel, a charisma-free zone who couldn't win an election in the USA in a million years, but really has run her country quite efficiently (as a conservative even.)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

The Phlegmatist posted:

MedicareX (which is an incredibly dumb name though) seems fine as a public option, since it just piggybacks onto the existing Medicare network but would be managed differently with its own schedule of benefits.

Gotta have a name that idiots understand, because otherwise it gets demonized by the Republicans.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

evilweasel posted:

yeah but medicaid is for poor people (including many, gasp, minorities) and medicare is for good, honest old people (mostly white) who worked their whole life and earned it so you can see why people pick the latter and not the former for their branding

Branding is VERY important. The weak-rear end branding of the ACA is what got it called Obamacare, because no-one could remember what it was really called. If a new system isn't branded with a name that even morons instantly take to, it's going to get named by the Republicans, and they always have a "sparkling" turn of phrase that sticks in the mind.

Medicaid is a terrible name because it evokes charity and shame. You need people to be proud to say "I have a medicare-for-all plan!" rather than humiliated.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Khisanth Magus posted:

"Your taxes will go up some, but your insurance premiums you constantly bitch about increasing will go away completely.".

There's trust issues there. You need to expect people to trust that they won't have to pay both increased taxes and insurance too. Americans are too used to being hosed over that way.

Plus, it's also a way of saying "All you people who work in the health insurance industry/healthcare billing? Vote us for unemployment." And that's a lot of people. Hillary got in trouble for being slightly hostile to coal mining, which employs 3 guys and a robot. Healthcare bureaucracy employs a LOT of people.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

JustJeff88 posted:

I want to be clear that I am not being a dick here and am bringing this up just as an important talking point: Pretty much everyone else has some form of universal or semi-universal coverage and they do not have massive unemployment. The British NHS was established in 1948 during the Great Reconstruction after the devastation of the war and I know of no massive unemployment.

That's because health insurance wasn't really a thing back then. Most people just paid out of pocket for the doctor. There was not the vast horde of billing/support/insurance claim/coding people that there are in the USA today.

These might not be long term job losses, but very few people can see further than next year.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
It’s possible for many ordinary people to pay off a $6000 bill *eventually* with the aid of crowdfunding and penny-pinching. Not so much a $100k bill.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

Can I ask a question about how you physically access healthcare in the US? I live in the UK but the work I manage takes place in the US and I'm over every month.

While I was over in October I thought about seeing a doctor while I was there. I called up and they all had 3-month waiting lists.. I had thought that because it's for-profit and especially paying cash it would be really quick.

It's a big contrast to here, as a privately insured patient you typically get seen next day or that week, in my experience.

If you are just in the USA for a couple of days a month for work and you get sick, what you want is a non-hospital “Urgent Care.” They can treat things like sniffles and sprains and they shouldn’t be too expensive out of pocket (probably about $100.) You walk in and wait, usually about an hour.

But be sure it is not an “Emergency room” at a hospital because those charge an arm and a leg.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

I like using the local urgent care places, but apparently those are easy to confuse with freestanding emergency rooms.

Our local urgent care will quote out-of-pocket prices, so you can just ask that. If they um and haw and say "It depends" they are probably a freestanding emergency room. A real urgent care will say something like "Our uninsured rate is $120 not including tests." And then say "no" to tests except those that are truly necessary because they can be $TEXAS.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Devor posted:

The other insurance companies are the ones who stand to lose, when the cheap healthy patients get stolen. Expect fast lawsuits from people with deep pockets.

Wouldn't it make more financial sense for them to just start doing it themselves?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

They won’t afford it so UHC happens or insurance cuts everything and people just file bankruptcy to the point it crashes the economy. The way people are pushing UHC now though I could totally see it happen within my lifetime.

I can fully see UHC happening when Democrats get power again...and then getting rolled back 8 years later when Republicans have power. Repeat ad infinitum.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Virtue posted:

It’s a good thing I’m not a doctor because I would never take poor patients.

This is actually why we need universal healthcare: providing a service that costs $TEXAS to someone without two pennies to rub together is commercially insane. But since society (at least the non-libertarian part of it) finds it unacceptable to just let people die if they are broke, the only solution is social healthcare (or private insurance so heavily regulated and subsidized it might as well be socialized medicine.)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Reik posted:

It seems like one of two things is going on:
1. The plans on the exchange use a narrower network that the provider isn't on.
2. The provider is in the appropriate network but denying patients with marketplace coverage for discriminatory reasons (inability to pay, etc)

Your marketplace plan is required to have a list of in-network providers. If your doctor is on that list, call the insurance company and confirm with them the doctor is in that network. If they confirm they are, have them call their office and hash it out between the two of them. If they say the list is wrong, you can sign up for a different plan. If they say the list is right, the doctor should see you.

If the doctor isn't on the list, I'd recommend finding another doctor that is in the narrower network.

It is always #1 as far as I know. I have marketplace health insurance, and if I need to see a doctor I need to phone them up and have the following conversation "Do you take X? Great, you take all X's plans - do you take X from the healthcare exchanges - you know, Obamacare? Oh, you don't? Thanks."

Fortunately I live in an urban area with a lot of doctors so I can always find someone. But if I was in a one-horse one-doctor town it might be a problem.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Reik posted:

It's hard to reach market equilibrium when the alternative good is death.

The market works pretty great for purely optional healthcare - cosmetic surgery for vanity reasons, or LASIK, or that sort of thing.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
Guess what an uncomplicated birth costs the NHS?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/ng-interactive/2016/feb/08/how-much-have-i-cost-the-nhs

Roughly $4,000 for an uncomplicated birth. Cost to mother: $0 (except maybe a few pounds for parking or snacks)

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

LeeMajors posted:

:sigh:

Please don’t let your loving conservatives Americanize your wonderful system.

They are working hard on it!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
19% of uninsured people think m4a would leave them worse off... Can't help some morons, can you?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
It’s a lot easier to add Trans medicine after the bill has passed than to deal with Tulsi Gabbard voting against it for that reason. Perfect enemy of good etc. As you say, most socialized medicine systems didn’t allow it at first but changed over time.

It *will* be poisoned and neutered and used as a weapon by Republicans and nothing we can do can make it “ironclad” - conservatives in countries with socialized medicine continually attack and neuter it, and it needs to be repaired and shored up by subsequent left-wing governments. That is the way of the world.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

JustJeff88 posted:

I am very, very suspicious of the Swiss system because it reminds me too much of the US system. Assholes always like to praise how innovative it is, but that again reminds me of the US system where the same rhetoric is used to justify profit versus performance.

If you actually take a look at it, it's a thin veneer of private medicine over a strongly state-controlled system. And even with that, it's one of the most expensive systems in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Rhesus Pieces posted:

There are plenty of people who pay into health insurance and never bother going to the doctor. Insurance companies love these people and it’s why the individual mandate was the only thing they liked about the ACA.

My husband for one. Never gets sick, usually too busy for an annual check-up. What a boon to our insurance company he is!