Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Not good, because the Rand types are just doing political theater and will end up coming around imo

Nah, this thing aint going anywhere in its current form.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do you guys think medicare-for-all is a saleable idea for the American people?

Medicare for all is a slogan, not an actual policy proposal. Something a lot of people don't seem to entirely grasp is how loving monumentally difficult it is to overhaul a 1 trillion dollar industry, even if you have all the stakeholders on board which isn't close to the case.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Monkey Fracas posted:

Am I misremembering or is medical debt/bankruptcy somehow classified differently when compared to normal debt now?

Would be even more of an incentive to just sorta roll the dice on a medical bankruptcy happening to you as a young person rather than pay out the rear end for garbage insurance. And if you develop some horrible condition that is slow enough to allow you to get insurance before you get care you only pay a 30% penalty for a year!

I don't know about bankruptcy, but it is sometimes treated differently in certain kinds of credit modeling, and when they do it's usually in the consumers favor. For example medical debt's importance in a mortgage application might be a lot less than say credit or auto debt. This is because a person defaulting on medical debt often still pays their mortgage and car payments, but someone defaulting on credit card debt is much more likely to be in serious financial trouble in many other ways.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 8, 2017

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
You can handwave all you want but at the end of the day doctors salaries in the US, particularly for specialties, is substantially higher than it is in the euro /canadian systems. Sometimes up to double. Naturally, it's of course part of the issue, along with the AMA limiting the supply of doctors to keep salaries high, fighting the use of PA's or NP's to do jobs they are qualified for and so on. Complex problems are caused by multivariate effects, but people love to dumb things down to soundbites. Reforming insurance is probably the biggest piece to the puzzle but there's other pieces to consider.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Huzanko posted:

You guys keep thinking the GOP base is poor hillbillies. Most Trump voters were middle and upper class suburbanites, IIRC.

Nope. :wrong:

I guess if you do that dumb thing where everyone is middle class you could tautologically say you are correct

e: and it's dumb to care about what the average trump supporter is in a elector college system. what you care about are the people that pushed him over the edge in the states that matter. In florida this would be old fuckers, in the rust belt you'd have poor uneducated whites, and so on.

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 13, 2017

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm really tired of people declaring that the problem is dems abiding by the rules and not that a huge portion of the electorate is actively evil.

These morons are just as dumb add the tea partiers who were pissed that the repubs didn't blow up the country or something to prevent the aca from being passed. Turns out elections matter, crazy I know.

Honestly the resistance provided by the democrats so far has been extremely good but Bernie bros are crybaby children who will never be happy :shrug:

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Rygar201 posted:

My man, you have thoroughly missed the point

Pointing out when people are flat out wrong is good, Actually. Actuaries aren't the reason US healthcare sucks.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

I disagree that's doing harm. It's not a "the customer is always right" attitude and you keep trying to characterize it to make it an easy problem instead of a hard one. Plus, your rationale just outlawed cosmetic surgery.

If a tumor has a lower chance of killing you than surgery does, there are rational reasons you might prefer the surgery. For example, you're an anxious person, and you may simply be unable to happily live with the knowledge there's a tumor growing inside of you. Or you may simply prefer that if you're going to die, you'd rather die relatively quickly and/or under surgery than dying slowly of cancer. Or you may feel like you couldn't live with yourself not trying. Or whatever. It's your life, as long as you are making an informed choice with the relevant information and can make that choice, the default should be that the choice is up to you, even if the doctor considers it the wrong choice.

And this is why professionals are completely redoing the recommendations for testing and screens. People are loving stupid (hell even most people here are badly informed on the topic).

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Lote posted:

You're applying statistics to people with a sample size of 1 and also giving examples where the answers are clear cut. Obviously, no surgeon would do that procedure using just your example. I can also make up a scenario where a surgeon would do a procedure most of the time: lets say someone with that tumor of 0.01% chance of death subsequently develops debilitating anxiety and agoraphobia because of that fear. They lose their job and stop eating. All other options have failed and the person begs the surgeon to remove it because they will be less anxious. I imagine most surgeons would do that procedure.

Edit. God dammit I gave the same scenario as evilweasel without realizing it. My point still stands.

This is also wrong.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This is usually the part of the argument where we bring up serial killers and architects of genocide and we find where your line is, FYI.

There's no version of this conversation where you don't end up looking dumb.

:rolleyes:

This conversation is pretty good evidence that half the "leftists" here are really just depressed assholes who are using leftism as an outlet for their hate.

Accretionist posted:

I think this is a glib way to characterize policy-that-kills.

-a Republican, talking about abortion

but but buruttt~~~~~~~~~~ it's different ~~~~~~~~

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

If you've got a non-assholish explanation for why someone might support destroying the US healthcare system and killing the old, sick, and poor in order to give $1T to the richest of the rich, I would be very interested to hear the specifics.

"Well maybe he has a good reason u cant kno what's in his heart" could be used to defend literally anything done by anyone, and I'm not sure you intend to argue that evil doesn't exist.

That's where most people were here about 5-10 years ago, the switch to frothing hatred that gives FREEP a run for their money has been a really recent thing here.

It's pretty sad honestly.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Raldikuk posted:

Actually the government does have a bit of this mandate. Now you stated it in a universal sense so it isn't their only priority. But for highways the speed limit is set to indeed account for risk management and to lower the risk of accidents. It actually turns out there are a lot of factors involved in what speed actually results in the safest environments and it isn't as simple as "hurf durf lower speed limit = fewer accidents". What is actually found is that the speed limit that 85% of motorists will travel is the safest. So here in lies the problem of lowering interstate speeds to 30 MPH because people won't follow it and will become aggressive to those that do. Certainly politics can get in the way too and police budgets and what have you. But the fact is that we /do/ want to select speed limits that result in minimizing deaths.

It would be trivial to speed limit all cars in the US, this point is very stupid. Like incredibly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

He probably hates Obama and Trump about equally. Obama foiled his dream to be President. Trump insulted him and his service, and got elected by acting like a clown, when all McCain's dignity did not impress the American public one bit. So he's probably torn on which one of them he wants to succeed least.

There's literally no evidence whatsoever that he hates Obama.

Obama didn't ruin his chance to be president, Bush did (twice).

TROIKA CURES GREEK fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 28, 2017