Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Sorry if this was asked - any experts want to weigh in on probability of Republicans success with repeal and replace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Let's assume republicans are all in for this. Can it pass without some Dem votes in favor as well??? Still not hearing a clear answer (i probably have a middle school level understanding of the process)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If the Republicans are unified they can do whatever they want.

Not good, because the Rand types are just doing political theater and will end up coming around imo

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Why all the talk of this being DOA in Senate? Sorry, I know nothing despite the reading I've done

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do you guys think medicare-for-all is a saleable idea for the American people?

Only if Trump makes the pitch

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Goddamn I want this to fail in the Senate so bad. Watching Obamacare survive its challenges has been like watching a baby sea turtle born on the beach make its way to the surf dodging birds of prey and other predators. As lovely and centrist in origin as Obamacare is I do not want to see it die by getting pissed on by a toddler taking a break building a Rand castle.

Thanks for listening to my retarded rant and analogy.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Is this somewhat near DOA? Sounds like it will be close in the House, but I thought that was going to be the easy one to get through!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I am so ready for this poo poo. Remember, don't get your hopes up!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

"I just don't think this bill is sociopathic enough. Let's get our heads in the game and figure out how to make this more sociopathic."

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Not getting my hopes up. Still not.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So Trump is playing hardball and threatening that this will be last opportunity he gives to repeal ACA. Freakout causes yes votes. I wonder if this will work.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I Want To Believe

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

so when does Senate vote? Someone said "tomorrow" but that might be overlap in date from today's vote

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I just can't believe this poo poo. None of it.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Is McCain voting for this piece of poo poo? I thought he was a moderate, or somewhat.

Per NY Times there are about 25 unclear votes. Maybe some sane conservatives in there.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

They need this win. Failure would plague the party. One might suspect they'll take any measure to get this through. My hope is that Senate GOP "no" votes aren't persuaded to the other side for this selfish reason.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

McCain is back!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...25e268#comments

There would be a sort of dark hilarity to McCain being the deciding factor that guts Obama's law, given Obama's highly retweeted tweet calling McCain an American hero after it was announced he had brain cancer.

I almost see it as neo-liberalism to a T: praising Republicans who are complicit in an extreme right wing agenda just because they "seem" a little more reasonable and toned down. An American hero is not someone who votes to take healthcare from 24 million people. Yes - John McCain, a real call back to the long ago days of yore when the Republican party wasn't contaminated by Trump. Actually, the whole party has been contaminated by lobbying and big money since the late 70s.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

DLC Inc posted:

lol @ democrats giving this man a standing ovation right before he votes yes. politicians deserve the brain death they are given, what a shitbag.

Exactly. Neo liberalism centrism at its finest.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Wow. So nothing is preventing them from voting again and again on healthcare

Seriously this presidency has exposed many flaws in our country's systems and processes that have been hiding underneath the floorboards all along. I don't see how unlimited votes couldn't be exploited. If repeal fail is as devastating as it seems to GOP they might reanimate this thing, like its a zombie

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 30, 2017

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So any chance GOP will try to sneak ACA repeal before Sept 30th? My impression is like a 10% chance, would love to hear less.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So much for the idea that the Senate will be too busy with other stuff to vote healthcare again.

I hear contradictory news on McCain's stance, but I guess the latest news is that he probably supports the new repeal? This doesn't align with his impassioned plea for transparency and bipartisan process this summer, given the CBO won't even have full analysis until next month and the general public doesn't know about this yet.

The other No votes have been quiet. No promising rejection of this really. Rand Paul is just posturing, that's a no brainer IMO.

One can only hope people get hosed hard enough by this madness in the future that they wake up. In the meantime I'll call some numbers...

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Just listened to Rand Paul bitch about the Graham-Cassidy bill on NPR. He avoided answering a direct question on whether his No is set in stone, but at least he's still going at it.

So we have Collins a near definitive No.
Murkowski an unclear but leaning No.
McCain an unclear.
And 2 or 3 unclears in Medicaid heavy states like West Virginia.

Way too early to tell. Call these people up!

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

This the only noteworthy development on the Graham-Cassidy bill today, unless I missed something. Murkowski continues to be worked on. She said back in June she wouldn't let them "get" her through deals like this that are favorable to Alaska but leave a nationwide healthcare system worse as a whole.

Of course, using that statement to predict her ultimate decision would assume she sticks to principles, which the GOP generally does not have, and that she cannot be bought out, which the GOP generally can.

I'm waiting for Rand Paul to announce he changed his mind, maybe next week? He need not worry about looking like a jackass. One week is long time in 2017 time.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Jimmy Dore isn't that smart (he's fairly upfront and humorous about that) but I admire him for trying to learn from people like Thomas Frank and Chris Hedges, and for sticking to his progressive guns. He's the big gently caress You to Dem establishment that it desperately needs for the sake of having diverse voices in America. He gets the big picture!

McCain sends a surprise early torpedo into Graham-Cassidy. I can't think of better news to hear, other than Colin's/Murk releasing a statement too.

Office Pig posted:

Yes, you did miss something. That's not the deal or a deal, it's one of those ideas along with federal Medicaid adjustments getting floated around as lures rather than concrete proposals for Murkowski. This is an instance where reporters are playing a game of telephone and we get 'Alaska gets its own ACA' as a result.

Ah, thanks. Yes the "Alaska gets OCare in deal" claim spread around in the Twitterverse rapidly.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Excellent. This thing is almost hosed. They will frantically try to make changes to it, but they are stuck if both moderates and nutjobs like Cruz/Paul are no.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Negotiating tactic I guess. The real problem for this bill is Murk, Collins, McCain, and amendments that make Cruz happy won't make them happy.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Seriously, ban me if Rand Paul and/or Ted Cruz vote No on any healthcare bill in next 6 days. I think they're full of poo poo.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Per Politico, a new revised G-C is being released and early details leaked. Includes federal funding increases for Arizona, Alaska, and Kentucky. What a coincidence!

Rand Paul is already softening his opposition, referencing his demands and a willingness to give in. The person Cruz interviewed clarified that he meant opposition to bill without amendments, which is hardly a No.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Not to be "that guy", but isn't it a bit early to say this is dead? I'll believe when the turtle fuckface calls the vote off.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Grammarchist posted:

Yeah, really hoping Murkowski announces soon as well so I don't have to worry about McCain dying and being replaced with a yes man.

Yeah, dying under mysterious non brain cancer cirumstances ; )

Maybe that will happen later. My imagination for the oligarchy over the next decades includes paramilitaries storming the private estates of Senators and threatening their lives, poisonings, etc.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Be joyful they failed, but angry they tried. And stay angry...

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

OK, so let's pretend Trump correctly said guy is recuperating at home. Are you telling me ACA repeal didn't happen because a GOP Senator has been sick and couldn't vote? This is true? Holy poo poo. Can't believe this was never brought up.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Scipiotik posted:

Here's a shortcut for life. If Trump says something it is not true.

It's a wonder I didn't vote for Trump because I had to read an article explaining to me why an extra Yes vote would not change the math, i.e. make 4 No's required not 3.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So... With McCain seat replaced by a Trump loyalist any chance Obama care repeal will be resurrected before midterms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm trying to find an outline of the court process after the Texas judge "struck down" the ACA last year.

Apparently it went to the 5th circuit. Are they hearing the case? What is even happening lol