Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Caros posted:

You can do both. Saying that it is dumb without also pointing out that it is a lie isn't great.

My only problem with stories like that in a news context is that they give the suggestion that it is anecdotal, not endemic.

Honestly, this is the best way to do statistics in any field. Statistics without qualitative narratives misses important details (and often emotional impact). Qualitative narrative without statistics misses scope and scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, that kind of "consult" bullshit happens all the time, and has been happening for a long time. When I brought back from botflies from Belize in 2010, the doctor I consulted with charged $500 to tell me "we think you have botflies" (no poo poo, you can see their breathing tubes, and I told you that when I came in) and then refer me to a surgeon. The surgeon charged another $800 for the consult, and wanted to put me under general because he'd never done the procedure before (he also looked a bit grossed out). Ended up finding an awesome doctor from Mexico instead who cut 'em out with local for $150...

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I'm a bit confused. If they had actually got to the vote when they wanted to, would they have had to wait for these determinations? Or would the bill have to go back to the senate if these determinations came later?

I'm sure McConnell would have just overruled the parliamentarian in the end, rendering it all moot (and opening the door to single payer with 50 votes!)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

so I’ve never been on exchange insurance before, always employer, but I’m about to move back to MA and will probably shop on the Connector. What’s this about income? I should estimate it higher to get a better plan?

The "estimate high" is only relevant if you a) live in a state that refused to expand Medicaid, and b) fall in the Medicaid expansion gap where you make too much to qualify for Medicaid, but not enough to get a subsidized CSR plan. Fortunately, MA is not such a state!

It might also apply if for whatever reason you qualify for Meicaid but would prefer to pay for a CSR plan, but don't quote me on that - I'm not sure if there's some penalty mechanism there.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

From a policy perspective, I think the real take-away is that hard income cut-offs for benefits are never a good idea. If making a few extra dollars causes you to loose more than that few extra dollars in benefits, there's real incentive to fudge your numbers. It makes taxes more of a pain for everyone, including the IRS. For the ACA, that means both the CSR cut-off and the 400% FPL limit if insurance costs continue to rise faster than income.

This problem could have been eliminated by simply scaling the CSR benefits and then including CSR benefits in repayment/additional subsidies calculations at tax time. I suppose this would, however, add a calculations of the amount of out-of-pocket maximum, co-payements, and deductible over- or under-used. This would require health expenditures in those two categories to be IRS reportable, but that seems easier than than auditing everyone's income to find the "cheaters" (who may not have intentionally cheated at all).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Maybe the government should craft and implement policy that benefits everyone and not this means tested horseshit

Who'd have known healthcare was so easy?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

You have to remember that the PPACA also introduced basic coverage requirements, eliminated coverage and enrollment consideration for preexisting conditions, did away with yearly/lifetime maximums, and introduced out-of-pocket maximums. These are all huge changes to the way health insurance worked. Together with the availability of low-cost, low-deductible, low-copay CSR plans, I hope you can see why prior data on usage would only be tenuously related to post-ACA usage. Even if you had information on usage by previously uninsured individuals, prior to the ACA those individuals would likely be a) moving to catastrophic plans, b) moving to Medicaid, or c) moving to employer coverage, all of which are very different situations from obtaining a CSR plan. Reik obviously knows more about this than me, but I imagine all of those factors needed to be considered in the models, and modelling each would require many many assumptions for which there was no quality data.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crashrat posted:

I honestly believe it's just barriers being put in someone's way. The letters are all automatically generated. In fact the *filenames* are more descriptive than the letters.

The letters just say you have provided insufficient documentation to prove income.

But if you look at the file names as they're being sent from Healthcare.gov the file names will include things like "low side fail" or "high side fail".

And that "high/low side fail" in the file name is more information than the letters have, than anyone at Healthcare.gov can give you, and certainly any Navigator. When I pointed it out for a colleague they had no idea what I was talking about because they just had the printed letter. When they opened the file Adobe has its own Title of "ESD Custom Notice"

But the actual file name for the PDF has the information itself. Like so many people that was just something in their Downloads folder that they never looked at - their browser or Adobe Reader just opened the file automatically once it was downloaded. They had no idea it was even there.

I earnestly believe there were some management changes at CMS with the Trump administration who just decided to not break the law, but walk a tight rope on it, to make getting the tax credit more difficult for the shear purpose of "gently caress poor people."

Have you tried taking this to a news outlet or senator yet? It sounds like if there's no reasonable way to get answers through the system, blowing it up through the news might get some action before people start getting dropped.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/aaronlinde/status/958004158161854465

Can't see any disastrous consequences from this, no sir

This is despicable. Wouldn't it make more sense to work with hospitals so that ERs could invest more resources in screening patients and send non-emergencies to an adjacent urgent care? The cost discrepancy between ERs and urgent care is horrifying.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ze Pollack posted:

we need to sloooow this down. it's not that we're against the concept of medicare for all, it's just that we're against it happening so -fast-, you see. we need to find a solution that doesn't make Doug Holtz-Eakin not mad at us. that, is, after all, how gay marriage got passed, right? we all got Pat Robertson onboard through Reasoned Debate, and then suddenly opposition evaporated? it wasn't that conservatives fought it tooth and nail at every loving point, and continue to fight it today even after the supreme court has made it legal, heavens no.

Apparently 100+ years of universal healthcare discussion just isn't enough for the man.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

blackmet posted:

On the one hand, I have a co-worker who found out she was a Type 2 diabetic through my company plans yearly weigh in and blood draw (optional, of course...unless you don't want the $300 HSA reward for scoring a 71 or above or increasing your health score by 5 points). They found her blood sugar level to be at 800...literally telling her to "go to the ER, NOW!" She thought her weight loss, tiredness, and thirst were due to her recently quitting smoking and going to the gym a lot. And I got help on my cholesterol from my doc after going to one.

But at the same time: it's invasive as hell, totally random (I somehow gained 8 points one year based on my waist to hip ratio despite weighing the same, then lost them the next year), and their "reasonable exception" to get the extra $300 if you don't score above a 71 or gain 5 points in their stupid scale is a colossal waste of time.

So people are getting to the point where they skip it if they don't think they'll get the money. Which, unless they have some other plan in place or a decent PCP, just means worse outcomes.

I strongly suspect that program outcomes would be much much better in general if the incentive was offered to just go in to a doctor for a yearly checkup + health advice, with health fairs offered at the workplace as a checkup option. Don't tie incentives to any ridiculous "activity" measure (or at least make only a minority of the incentives tied to "performance"), and don't tie them to employment at all. Make it a national/ state program.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Defenestration posted:

I wonder what cherry picked polling they get "most people are satisfied with their employer's insurance" from

I suspect that most people who haven't yet used their insurance for anything major are satisfied with it, and that probably gets you a good way towards "most" Americans.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

There's no reason to trust that it would actually transition to single payer, particularly given that it's being offered in response to an actual-single-payer bill and can very easily be sabotaged through limiting how competitive the public option is.

This is absolutely essential for any wonk analysis. Any Democratic healthcare bill is going to be sabotaged in a variety of interesting ways from day one, and the only way to make sure that it survives in an effective form is to make sure that any Republican sabotage directly negatively impacts a majority of Americans.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

This is true; I think Willa may have been focusing on the "the entire country pays into Medicare/whatever" aspect rather than the "only the government (the 'single payer' in question) covers everyone."

I agree that it's best to keep to the actual definition in cases like this, though I sympathize with the desire to not just use "UHC," since UHC doesn't really have a strict definition and can be used to describe policy of varying quality.

edit: As a vaguely related thing, I dislike the argument some people make of "why focus on single-payer, since other ideas, like a public option, can also end up with a good outcome." The problem with that argument is that, while technically correct, single-payer is particular useful because it's far more difficult to be implemented in a way that isn't good/helpful. The issue with something like a public option is that its efficacy relies entirely upon the quality of the public option, and to be frank I don't really trust the sort of politician who is opposed to single-payer to push a public option that would actually harm private health insurers.

Basically, it's a situation where you have one idea that would definitely be able to work, and you have to question why someone would choose to actively oppose that idea (especially when they're only bringing up alternatives in the context of opposing single-payer, which is usually the case).

It's also extremely important that everyone in the country has skin in the public option. Any system is going to be under immediate and continuous attack from the right, so if it's going to be successful it needs to be set up in a way that makes it very difficult for Republicans to section out select groups of people to screw without directly affecting everyone.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Reik posted:

All those people with type 1 diabetes should have just taken better care of themselves.

Genetic disorders are clearly your parents' fault. How else are we going to ensure that they can't afford to have any more kids and you won't grow up to pass on your bad genes?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Raldikuk posted:

As he himself was receiving social security checks making it possible for him to even pursue a career in politics.

So does that mean that if Republicans give all the Social Security money to themselves and other rich people they can't be politicians anymore? Might actually be a worthwhile buyout!

(I kid, most of our government expenditures already go to the ultra wealthy and very rich)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

silence_kit posted:

Calling tax benefits which provide the biggest benefit to the wealthy 'expenditures' is a little disingenuous. You could declare any sort of revenue generated by a private company or individual not collected as taxes as 'expenditures' if you were so ideologically inclined.

Rich people still pay almost all of the income taxes, as they should, even after greatly benefiting from the mortgage interest deduction, lower marginal capital gains & dividend rates, SALT deductions, etc. Just say that you think that rich people should be taxed more.

Tax expenditures aren't just a function of income, though - they're targeted reductions in tax liability (or credits) that are designed to promote or facilitate certain behaviors. They are functionally equivalent to direct payments, but reduce the logistics. Deductions and exclusions designed to accurately count income, like the employee income reduction.

For instance, take the exemption for employee-sponsored medical insurance contributions (the largest expenditure, estimated to be ~$235 billion for FY2018). That's functionally equivalent to $235 billion* in direct spending to support the employer insurance mandate - public funding that goes to employers for the privilege of choosing what (now subsidized) insurance options their employees get, and then directly to insurance companies. Back when the corporate tax rate was progressive, this used to lead to regressive disbursement, too, since companies with smaller tax liabilities would receive a smaller effective per-employee disbursement. Now that the corporate taxes are flat, that's no longer true, at least until post a loss and then have to wait until your next posted profit for the effective disbursement.

The other programs you mentioned are similar - mortgage interest deductions are designed to promote home ownership (well, "ownership"), and effective disbursements flow through the middle class to mortgage companies and home sellers. Differential tax rates for capital gains & dividends are effectively a direct subsidy on investments over other types of income (and because of progressive tax rates, it's a regressive subsidy in terms of disbursement per investment dollar earned). SALT deductions are designed to promote taxes and spending by local and state governments (except it turns out blue states use this to provide services, so gently caress you blue states).

You do have a point, tax expenditures are all relative to tax liability in our progressive tax system (though the totality of the tax system is significantly less progressive). However, they are functionally equivalent to disbursements in control, targeting, and effect, so unless you're willing to call all disbursements and benefits for people with net-positive income "tax adjustments", it makes much more sense to consider them as government expenditures .

*As an aside more relevant to the thread, if you throw that together with Medicaid and Medicare spending ($1.25 trillion), you get $1.5 trillion in government subsidies for healthcare, which is already over Canada's $1.1 billion in government spending for their universal system (adjusted to US population and USD). And that's before all the other types of government health spending in the US, such as our defacto insurance system for the uninsured poor (propping up hospitals with ERs required to take patients regardless of ability to pay).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zauper posted:

That's called Medicare, just FYI. Don't need to count it twice. DSH payments are part of Medicare.

Thanks! I didn't realize that was under the Medicare umbrella.

VVVV The Congressional Budget Office and Department of the Treasury: noted sophists that just "want to tax rich people more". VVVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 28, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Reposting this here because USPOL is mostly the Trump Made A Tweet thread.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/28/18192674/medicare-for-all-cost-jacob-hacker

This is a pretty extensive interview with Jacob Hacker, whose work informed the new "Medicare for America" M4A plan. It's one of the plans that has been picking up momentum around the party because it provides universal comprehensive coverage, includes cost controls, but spares private insurance and employer-sponsored plans and has a less "controversial" funding mechanism (that is, it's nicer to donors). This interview is good because Hacker lays out his reasoning pretty clearly without weaseling around, and accurately confronts the realities of upending health care.

I think HR 676 is objectively better, but I've been warming to Medicare for America as a not-terrible solution that I would have been legitimately excited about in 2008.

Perfect plan, let's keep healthcare tied to employment :rolleyes:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Employers also have to pay the ridiculous cost of American healthcare out of their own pocket though

But in exchange, they get a (subsidized, through tax exemptions) way to 1) use the fear of loss of health insurance as an employee retention tool, and 2) make healthcare decisions for their employees (they call it "competing on benefits").

E: Honestly, any MfA single-payer plan should include a requirement that current employer insurance expenditures be rolled over into salaries instead of being recaptured by stakeholders. Probably the maximum expenditure for the previous X years, to avoid employers reducing expenditures to avoid the rollover.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 30, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Also don't forget large incumbents get to muscle out startups when it comes to the health issue. It's easy for a big, self insured employer like IBM to offer better cost sharing on health insurance than a plucky startup that has to take its chances on the group market.

Individually it's so rational, but taken together it makes American business uncompetitive. Many "third world" countries themselves now have universal healthcare systems.

Pretty much the story of American capitalism - all suboptimal prisonor's dilemmas because we've bought in to the myth that economic anarchy magically maximizes efficiency and equity of resource distribution. (Maybe "sold the lie" is a better way to put it)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Even if you're a conservative, unhealthy people are unproductive people. It seems like a no-brainer until you remember that loss of healthcare is the cudgel used to keep employees compliant their labor cheap.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Basically importing from Canada is a work-around that says “we’ll let Canada regulate prices for us and then add extra distribution steps that burn fuel.” It’ll actually work better than the current system, at least to the degree that it’s not full of caveats and restrictions and roadblocks, but it’s a loving stupid “solution” and it’s certainly not “free market” or however the loving Republicans are going to try spinning it.

E: I should also throw in that on top of government-enforced monopolies and our complete lack of price regulations, pharmaceutical research benefits from a massive amount of public funding.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Drug reimportation works until pharmaceutical companies stop tolerating it and implement rationing in Canada. CBO estimated it would reduce prescription drug spending by 1%.

https://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/108th-congress-2003-2004/reports/04-29-prescriptiondrugs.pdf

Yeah, this as well. We need to regulate our own pharmaceuticals, not outsource it overseas and pretend like Pharma won’t respond.

That and I imagine running an giant export business that undercuts Pharma’s US prices would weaken Canada’s negotiation position enough that they might ban exports rather than face price hikes for subsidizing our own lovely unregulated system.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Employer insurance has never been good. It’s always been a crapshoot that’ll screw you over in creative ways if you actually need to use it. And then if you have serious problems, you lose it when you lose your job! AND, prior to the ACA that would often trigger pre-existing-condition clauses, meaning your condition would never be covered again.

Some people get lucky and haven’t needed it or manage to avoid all the surprise billing/restricted network/unclear coverage/deductible timing minefields.