Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

So, what happens in the meantime with the ACA? It chugs along and still operates while this 'solution' is hammered out in Congress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

mdemone posted:

Also there's a website somewhere where you can send faxes for free to a Congressthing.

https://faxzero.com/fax_congress.php

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I'm hearing rumors of a vote in the Senate this Tuesday.

Any news?

And yes - I made some calls.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

This just floated down Twitter:

https://twitter.com/igorvolsky/status/889563398320599040

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So what the gently caress happens now?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean this is it; they're loving done with healthcare now and will move on and try to direct attention elsewhere now right?

God I certainly hope so.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

They can call it "The Aristocrats" for all I care, just so long as they stop trying to loving touch it

Agreed.

They can call it 'Donny's Bigliest Best Health Care Winning Constant Winning Trump Rules #magacare', and I'd be OK with it. Just stop trying to mess with it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Twitter is freaking out about this latest bill.

I know it's horrible, but how likely is it to pass?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

The Phlegmatist posted:

Nope, there's no mechanism for that in the law. So if you estimate your income at, say, 120% FPL and wind up making 70% FPL you are fine. There's no penalty for falling under the 100% FPL cutoff.

And also if you estimate your income at 120% FPL, get a silver CSR plan that's basically better than a platinum plan and make 300% FPL or something, you'll have to pay back some of the premium tax credits but there's no mechanism for paying back the fact that you were on a CSR plan when you shouldn't have been.

:chloe:

I often do erratic contract work for a living.

This entire situation is just a nightmare to deal with. Luckily, I have a good health insurance broker to help me out with it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Anubis posted:

Considering both my sister and my niece have several existing medical conditions and they like/need the doctors they have, they would very much like not to go on medicaid where they would likely have to change primary care doctors. She can be fully reimbursed if her income was above $16,200 but of course get nothing if it's below that amount. I am recommending that a document be written up formalizing the caretaker job and formally moving a portion of the support she is receiving to reflect those payments as wages. She would, of course, pay taxes on those funds, both sides of payroll and fed/state income tax, but near as I can tell she'd still end up saving over $9k.

She may want to check with her Primary Care doc to see if she can keep them on Medicaid.

I'm on WA State Medicaid, and I was able to keep my Primary Care doc, because we already had an established patient-doctor relationship, because I picked him when I was on an ACA BCBS plan. Maybe your doc is the same way.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

WA State runs it's own exchange, the deadline for Open Enrollment is Jan 15th, and I just bought my plan for 2018.

The Gold Plan was one dollar cheaper than the Silver Plan, from the same health insurance company (Kaiser-Permanente), because :psyduck: . Consequently, I now have fancy insurance.

:patriot:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Reik posted:

It goes 100% of the way for plans sold on exchanges. What state are they in? Different states can have different open enrollment periods and I know of at least one that is going until 1/15. If their state is our of open enrollment, moving across state lines can trigger a special enrollment period if I'm not mistaken.

WA State is one of those states.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

My current dentist has a discount if you pay out of pocket.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Here's where I have a problem with the 'healthcare incentives' packages that are in workplaces:

I have high cholesterol.

I eat practically a vegan diet, don't smoke nor drink, eliminated nearly all sugar form my diet, I exercise all the time, and I count my steps with a FitBit. However, that number isn't really budging. I'm under a doctor's supervision for it, so I'm not worried.

My doctor so far isn't that concerned, because he can read charts, calculate the ratios between my good and bad cholesterols, and decide that "Well, Qu, you're fine; keep it up." So far, we think it's genetically based. I could eat 100% lettuce, and still have high cholesterol.

However, some healthcare wellness robot will go "BLEEP BLOOP HIGH NUMBER PUNISH NO GIFTCARD FOR YOU!" or raise my rates, despite me doing everything I can, because my parents were goddamn fat-making mutants.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Well yes, you're more expensive than someone who probably won't need to take statins due to genetics at some point.

This sounds like an end run around the "can't charge people more for preexisting conditions" part of obamacare.

Pretty much. Hell, I'm expensive *anyways* because of asthma. My Advair? Around $400.

The funny thing is that my daily activities would probably net me awards in any workplace healthcare program that they lay out - but if they judge solely on numbers, I'd be screwed.

I do wonder if they'd have some sort of override system, like a note from an actual doctor.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 7, 2018

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

So, this just happened.

https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/1009946828408750080

What happens now?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Grammarchist posted:

Also the Senate GOP is short a senator since the last healthcare fight because Sessions' seat got nabbed by a Dem who campaigned on protecting CHIP and Medicaid. It's something else to worry about, but I wouldn't lose sleep for now if you can avoid it.

Thank you for the reassurance. My mind has been racing due to some personal issues, and this is one of those things that I just can't calm down and rationalize over. The brain just goes from 0 to :siren: DEATH :siren:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Called the radiologist yesterday, my dead father apparently owes $38. The billing office told me it was for an x-ray done on the day he died. Medicare rejected covering it because the procedure was done after his death. Except, you know, it wasn't. The billing office confirmed that it was done at 630am, I confirmed from his death certificate he died at noon. So he advised me to call Medicare. I do that, Medicare says I need to request a packet, wait for that, fill it out, notate what the issue is, send it back in, and hope the appeal reverses the denial.

Jesus, I'll just pay the $38 out of pocket. Thanks, America.

I've had experience with this, with my parents death.

First of all, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Second of all, if Medicare doesn't want to pay it, you could just tell the radiologist to bill the Estate of your deceased father. You shouldn't have to pay off his bills after death. When the Estate is settled, if there's money to pay the bill, it gets paid from the Estate. If not, then they might have to take a loss on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, you don't automatically owe your parent's debts. The estate is a separate legal entity.

I am not a lawyer; this is not legal advice, but this is how it worked in the State of Wisconsin.

Basically, his Estate is his assets and debts, which are completely separate from yours. (There are complications with if you cosigned onto accounts with him, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. If you did? OMG Lawyer Time.)

His Estate is made up of all of his assets (bank accounts, property, stock, etc.). If he has a Will, the Executrix of that Will is usually the Executrix of the Estate. Which might be you, as you're an only child (solidarity, BTW - I am one as well.).

Basically, you do this: Get all of his assets together, and all of his debts together. If there looks like to be complex issues (like a lot of property, etc., hiring an Estate Lawyer is the way to go. Same if he didn't have a will drawn up).

However, if there are more assets than debts, pay off the debts FIRST, and then distribute the remainder of his assets to his legal heirs. If there are more debts than assets, then some debts are going to remain unpaid - and they cannot come after living relatives to get those debts paid off. Instead, the debts are written off. They will probably require proof, like a Death Certificate, and if they think that the Estate is being mismanaged, they can sue for that, but a Radiologist isn't going to do that for a $48.00 bill. I can understand if this is all overwhelming; it was to me, as well. A good Estate Lawyer can be of help, and they are also paid by the Estate.

Practically speaking, you could be a billionaire and your parents could die destitute, and you don't have to pay one cent towards their debts. You are not liable. It's actually kind of fun to tell debtors that no, you will not be paying that bill out of pocket. Some will try to guilt trip you into paying; just remember: You are not liable.

So - TL;DR - the magic words to the Radiologist is "I'm sorry; I am not liable for this bill. He is deceased; you will have to submit it to his Estate. The contact info is this: (blah)." It's even better if you have a lawyer; then you can throw around the "Lawyer" word, and they *hate* that.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 30, 2018