Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The game really opens up on 4/20 for anyone wondering when it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

HolePisser1982 posted:

what did u guys choose for your protagonist names?

Hasashi Hanzo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Drifting off to sleep with the Tokyo theme playing in my head...

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Hell yeah

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I'm a bit over half way through the first dungeon.

Are part time jobs worth my after school to evening blocks?

And does crafting take up a time block? I crafted 3 lockpicks and it ate my sunday.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Cool, I'm at 4/16 and the game's been super linear so far so I was worried I was missing opportunities to do other stuff somehow

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

scott zoloft posted:

I'm a bit over half way through the first dungeon.

Are part time jobs worth my after school to evening blocks?

And does crafting take up a time block? I crafted 3 lockpicks and it ate my sunday.

Part time jobs are good money early on and some raise social stats. Later they're more useful for the stats.

Crafting does take a time block. If you luck into crafting two of an item in one go, you'll gain 3 proficiency instead of the normal 2. This chance scales with proficiency supposedly.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

brainwrinkle posted:

Part time jobs are good money early on and some raise social stats. Later they're more useful for the stats.

Crafting does take a time block. If you luck into crafting two of an item in one go, you'll gain 3 proficiency instead of the normal 2. This chance scales with proficiency supposedly.

also the chance to earn 3 over 2 is rng so you can savescum early on if you want

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Lol the movies at the theater on central street im nothing like you.... you're a psychopath who bakes for money

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this game is so insanely good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pumping my fist at the theme of the second dungeon, thinking about all the cool poo poo that's gonna be inside

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Everyone who talked about the first boss design holy moly you were right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's cool that they just put Tartarus in this game

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

It's cool that they just put Tartarus in this game

Welp gotta stay out of the thread now

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i havent played zelda yet to my shame but its going to have hard time beating this for my goty if it stays this good

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fumaofthelake posted:

Everyone who talked about the first boss design holy moly you were right

it is really good and I enjoyed the mechanics introduced to raise the stakes

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

The game really opens up on 4/20

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
My PS+ expires tonight and I don't think I'll renew it for a bit. Is it needed for this game's network features (and Nier's for that matter)?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

what did u guys choose for your protagonist names?

Haven't gotten the game yet but I'm gonna go with my real name for sure

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a scene in this that made cry from laughter becUse they pulled like a Austin Powers level punchline

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

drat i guess the writings going to some places in ths one huh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I found the one thing I don't like about this game and it's that always annoying RPG mechanic where if the MC dies it's an insta game over.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

I found the one thing I don't like about this game and it's that always annoying RPG mechanic where if the MC dies it's an insta game over.

I had 3hp last night wondering if that was the case

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

In Training posted:

Cuz it's you, dude. How you gonna tell your teammates what to do when you're dead

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fumaofthelake posted:

I had 3hp last night wondering if that was the case

I just lost like a half hour of dungeon crawling because I was trying to figure out what an enemies weakness was and when their turn came around they one shot MC from full health with just a physical attack.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I've noticed Morgana falls back to "support" when she dies, but I haven't seen her do anything.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In fact every enemy in the game can one shot all of my team still. So it's got the same style of SMT4 where if you don't get the first strike you have like a 90% chance of game over, which is cool. Harder than P4 for sure, but I think I played that game on normal

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

In Training posted:

In fact every enemy in the game can one shot all of my team still. So it's got the same style of SMT4 where if you don't get the first strike you have like a 90% chance of game over, which is cool. Harder than P4 for sure, but I think I played that game on normal

P4 only had easy or normal I think.

the MC dying thing is lame imo.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

In Training posted:

I just lost like a half hour of dungeon crawling because I was trying to figure out what an enemies weakness was and when their turn came around they one shot MC from full health with just a physical attack.

I find myself getting careless with the "Press R1 to have the game target a weakness for you" thing. I assume they have it in Hard mode too but if not basically you just tap R1 and if you have an attack one of the non-downed enemies is weak to, it'll highlight it automatically and you can just hit X to confirm.

Anyway on the MC I switched to a level 2 Pyro Jack while fighting some mobs like 8 levels higher... Almost went bad haha.

It's going to be an issue later since I'm used to pulling the cheapest option possible out of the compendium to ensure arcana bonuses during social links so I'll always have some trash mons in stock

Fumaofthelake fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 6, 2017

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
before playing i had no idea this had demon negotiation, also ive failed demon negotiation every time

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I love it when the game spawns enemies all around you. getting ambushed and then wiped because a physical attack critted owns as does the fight where I got the 5th party member where the first enemy action hit for 130 dmg and killed the mc

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm still in the first dungeon but it seems way more involved than previous games. Like it's gonna take me 3 visits to clear, which is unheard of. Even in P4 which was my first introduction to the series I was able to plow thru them in 2 days max. Epic dungeons ftw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I reached the boss of the second one and I'm gonna need to like...comeback later after leveling up and doing side quests to beat it O_o

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

The boss designs are awesome. I can't wait to see the rest.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have the game.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Pablo Gigante posted:

I have the game.

Me too. I'm playing it right now.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The all out victory screens are so loving cool!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
im so loving into the art style, its so good

• Locked thread