Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That's right. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5 is out in just 4 weeks. Admittedly I haven't kept up on any news surrounding it aside from the release date, since I want most of my experience to be pure. I can't wait to gently caress up making ramen lunch boxes and having a little coil of smoke infogram above my homies head on top the school roof cos it tastes like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm probably going to pre-order the regular physical copy since I can't be gaming at midnight during the week anymore. Release day delivery ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I played Persona 4 nine years ago like a normal person.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Atlus had their announcement stream and the only smt thing was a remake/update/new content of Strange Journey for 3DS.

Sounds good to me. I don't think I ever beat it

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

Ive heard its cool and almost bought it a couple weeks ago but now I'll definitely wait for the remake.

It's super difficult and satisfying to clear a dungeon. There was a cool thing that gave every demon its own friend code basically, so you could essentially trade with friends. There's probably also a massive list of OP demons somewhere too but what's the fun in that.

I just wish I had more control over my stats

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

At most there will be a reference to an older game in the series that you won't understand, but the stories themselves have been pretty contained to their own thing. Just get P5

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Seeing my eurogamers getting P5 trophies..

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm only on 4/12 but I'm loving this game already

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Sorry for the Games style spoilers but I respect the game too much not to use them:

lmao @ Ryuji casually pulling a gun out

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

igor sounds like a pitch shifted microsoft sam

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

poo poo gets real pretty quickly.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Done for tonight. Got my 4th party member.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Love the opening of this game and I've watched it every time I've booted it up (2 times.) Reminds me of P3 a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxNAwZ-A88w&t=8s

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

Are there autosaves or checkpoints happening in the background in the game? I dunno if I should be worrying about saving often, especially since so much of the game doesnt let you freely save (so far)

I would save as often as the game lets you, I don't think there's autosaving going on

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

There's something happening every time you sleep I think? Because when I died on the final boss of the first dungeon and was very close to the deadline, one of my options was "Roll back 5 days?"

That was in P4 as well, it's so the game doesn't become literally unbeatable if you gamed your way into a corner

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There's a bunch of free DLC on psn. JPN voices, medicine pack, card pack (not sure what this is yet) and Hell difficulty

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

real first name w/Shoes as the last name. Been my naming convention for every SMT

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The game really opens up on 4/20 for anyone wondering when it does.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm still in the first dungeon but it seems way more involved than previous games. Like it's gonna take me 3 visits to clear, which is unheard of. Even in P4 which was my first introduction to the series I was able to plow thru them in 2 days max. Epic dungeons ftw

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Beat the first dungeon and feeling overwhelmed as to what to build up first.. S.links.. stats?? Who knows.. all I know is: every time there's a crossword available I'm doing it. They all revolve around coffee lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

In Training posted:

There's crosswords?????

Yeah, sometimes there will be a crossword book left at a table in the cafe

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This game is all I can think about during the day.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm already looking forward to following the perfect run in ng+ that some godly autist has nearly completed by now

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

these are irresistible

Yeah lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

some noob thoughts since this game's been on my mind a lot:

I played the first chunk of SMT4 last year as my first dip into the series and im really really really surprised by how much more engaging and inviting this game feels in comparison. The lively mood and music and art are doing so much to bring me into the battles and day-to-day stuff. I trust that SMT4's an amazing game to the people that are really taken by it, but it seems less and less likely I'm gonna open my 3ds to go back to blurry dirty apocalyptic Japan

Persona is always more inviting just by the nature of how it's built from the ground up, rather than just being a pure Hardcore rpg experience, it has that and a million other things to do when you get tired of clenching your rear end. P4 has always been my recommendation for anyone new to the series, since it was my own gateway game, but it's clear that anyone interested today should just jump into P5.

I'm also a rare gamer that played P3 after 4 and thought it was just fine. The old games will always be there if you like what you see. My first step into SMT mainline games was Nocturne and it was fantastic.. easily one of my favorite games of all time.. I remember thinking "Oh this is just more of the same stuff with less fluff surrounding it -- I got this", and then got blown up immediately by Matador (classic noob-check boss).

Either way, I'm really glad Persona has gotten so mainstream. The more people that play these games the more they will make, and that is good.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIjVvnO5lgM

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I noticed Rise on a poster in Shibuya on my first day in the game and said "Oh hell yeah"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

this was my smt timeline as well and it's led to the series being one of if not my favorite in all of gaming

Yeah, I've always been a sucker for mythology and this is the only series I can think of that scratches that itch as well as being fun to play. DQ is essentially tied in my mind.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I have to say my absolute favorite part of this game so far is the fact that you get xp share immediately. Sorry Maru but you're my healpig for now.

Should be able to finish the second dungeon today. It's crazy how fast your fusion skillz come back to you. All my current demons are 2-3 levels above me with all elements covered. :madmax:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Boss 2 really took the piss, but I got him on a retry once I knew what to expect

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fPff61eIoc

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Why is Sojiro's s.link stuck at 2 for me?? No matter how many times I hang out with him it never changes. I gotta be missing something

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The battle theme in this game is basically Ether

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Is there a way to tell if a door in Mementos is unlocked other than going there to check?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

omg just barely beat palace 3 in one night, so fun. i think if i died once more i woulda gave up right near the end

Same, it was really tough finishing it in 1 day but drat it felt good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I just got to the 4th dungeon

• Locked thread