Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

In Training posted:

I think a lot of people broke street date since hype levels are maximum.

I got my copy in NYC almost a week ago. Spoilers: Persona 5 is very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I wish I could use the Share functionality for the funny lines :(

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The dungeons are so cool!!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The theme of rebellion against society and injustice is really cool. All the confidants are people who got screwed over by the system or people abusing their power in some way.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

In Training posted:

I've been playing on Hard and have finished the first dungeon but I may drop it to normal because I like spending more time loving around town and doing social Link stuff. I came kinda close to the time limit on this first one.

The first dungeon is the most challenging because you have so few options. I'm considering switching to Hard after the 4th dungeon because it's too easy on Normal.

You will probably have a different experience if you don't exploit the Death confidant.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The dub is good. The localization has some lines that scan poorly in English, but they seem mostly front-loaded in the prologue.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

scott zoloft posted:

I'm a bit over half way through the first dungeon.

Are part time jobs worth my after school to evening blocks?

And does crafting take up a time block? I crafted 3 lockpicks and it ate my sunday.

Part time jobs are good money early on and some raise social stats. Later they're more useful for the stats.

Crafting does take a time block. If you luck into crafting two of an item in one go, you'll gain 3 proficiency instead of the normal 2. This chance scales with proficiency supposedly.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Check the arcade and do that request to start Tower. He is very late in the game (October I think?)

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm nearing the end about 100 hours in and I just want the game to be over. Everything about it is insanely good, but everything is also slightly too long.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

mysterious loyall X posted:

Lol if you havent dumped 200 hoirs into p3 p4 nocturne smt4 smt4a and dds 1-2 before this one

Yes, yes, yes, yes, not yet, and maybe sometime

The endgame is too easy with the top tier personas. More power to the people that will NG+ it though.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Going on confidant dates the whole month of December has revived my interest. There are some nice character bits after you've maxed the links.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It took forever for Ryuji to text me too. Idk why for sure. Probably so that you don't finish his link in May.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Ann's confidant storyline is all over the place and ultimately unsatisfying as a character story. She's definitely in competition for worst Confidant in the game.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Speaking of Mementos, has anyone managed to kill Death with the flu during flu season? I know Carmen gets a skill that increases the likelihood of modifiers like that affecting enemies, wondering if that makes it easier to accomplish.

I did this twice. It happened on my first try, but then it took another ~12 tries to happen again. You want max Star to be able to run away immediately.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I beat the game. ~110 hours. I think it's the best Persona game yet by far, but probably not my favorite SMT game.

I liked how focused every aspect of the storytelling was on the themes. It reminded me of a far more refined Persona 3 in many ways. The aspects of Persona 4 that I disliked weren't really present.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Doesn't Mitsuru also ride a motorcycle? Case closed.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Persona 4's story felt very unfocused at times in the midgame. The characters were always reacting to events and never making much real progress. The true ending requirements and callback are really dumb too. It soured me on the whole plot.

Persona 3 had strong thematic consistency, but the pacing was poo poo. Persona 5's storyline manages to take the best parts of 3 and 4 and combine them. It has strong thematic consistency, decent pacing, and active protagonists.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Everything post 7th dungeon and pre-finale just feels a little gratuitous and unearned. Stuff before that had good grounding and made sense in the setting.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Merciless mode should just replace the whole game with SMT3: Nocturne Featuring Dante From Devil May Cry

But it's just an emulated PS2 game, not uprezzed or ported in any way. That's the Merciless part.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I used Makoto for healing and buffing, usually along with Ann for magic damage. Last slot tended to be a phys attacker early on or Haru later because her Gun skills are great with the passive damage boosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
When I look at my iPhone after an hour of 3DS gaming everything looks too loving sharp

Because the 3DS has 6 total pixels (3 for the left eye and 3 for the right)

• Locked thread