Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol just give your kids a bunch of pc parts and a linux iso like my dad did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

star wars is so coveted its one of the few things there will not be ads inside

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

but it is a vehicle to sell star wars related stuff so ads

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they’ll figure out a way

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i went to see the disaster artist and this ad played before the movie

https://youtu.be/OgQxjcB-nlU

i hate it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

CommunistPancake posted:

i went to see the disaster artist and this ad played before the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgQxjcB-nlU

i hate it

fucckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk this is so siicckkk

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

pagancow posted:

star wars is so coveted its one of the few things there will not be ads inside

Captain Phasma was one giant ad to sell a cool toy of Captain Phasma to people

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't wait to see finn toss rey an ice cold pepsi to slam before taking on emperor snoke

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Captain Phasma was one giant ad to sell a cool toy of Captain Phasma to people

Different franchise, same basic principle.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ads more like bads. folks,

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

youtube's most watched ads for 2017

http://adage.com/article/digital/youtube-reveals-watched-ads-2017/311544/

not that I watched them

quote:

Most of you will skip this introductory text and scroll straight through to the videos, but YouTube's annual list of most watched videos, which has just been released, has some noteworthy trends: ads were longer, brands that took a stand got more views, and the most watched spot hails from India, not the U.S.

This year's most-watched ads were more than twice as long as last year's, and seven out of 10 feature themes of inclusion, diversity or empowerment compared with two in 2016, the company says.

This year's top ad on the Google-owned streaming giant was created by Chelli India. Going for the heartstrings, it features a Samsung employee who crosses a variety of obstacles to repair a TV for a group of children just in time for their favorite show. There's a bit of a plot twist toward the end, and if you haven't seen it, check it out—some 150 million people already have.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mike12345 posted:

youtube's most watched ads for 2017

http://adage.com/article/digital/youtube-reveals-watched-ads-2017/311544/

not that I watched them

theyve done it, an ad for ads.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not clicking the link :hehe:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

watched them all

everybody in the TV industry wishes they could be half this good, stuff better to watch than the "content" itself

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the one about the samsung tv repair was life changing and now i have a new appreciation for the brave men and women who repair tvs

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

trend: ads are getting longer

reason: better than content

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

good old long form advertising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZGaLlLfcY

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
wait people still repair tvs lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah lol who would want to repair their multi-hundred dollar purchase when they can just throw it away lmao

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pagancow posted:

trend: ads are getting longer

reason: better than content

the end-game is the infinite regress of the ads themselves getting worse, but shorter, preroll ads

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin cant stand when poo poo like that draws emotions

like people point towards the the start of the movie up as good story telling because within 10 minutes you meet someone and then you're crying

its good directing, and its using the power of magic and psycology to abuse your brain into feeling hella emoitions and making ya think something intense is happening

id rather laugh at farts

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Endless Mike posted:

yeah lol who would want to repair their multi-hundred dollar purchase when they can just throw it away lmao

an idiot who doesn't want an excuse to upgrade to a newer and bigger model

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

when the part to fix it costs almost as much as a newer, bigger one

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
this is a very pretty ad until 15 seconds from the end where it fucks up real bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ist3aGf85sw

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

looks like a real pussy pleaser :riker:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

tbf theres only four parts to a tv the screen the housing the control board and the power supply (and the last two could be one unit in some sets)

if the housing or the screen break you can see how those cant be fixed so youre left with the ps or the control board. the power supply runs about $100 and thats usually easy to diagnose it either powers on or it doesnt so thats around $150 to $200 for a guy to come to your house and replace that so i can see going that route

the control board is a bit dicier since they can cost $250-$300 and youre looking at another $100 on top of that for a guy to come out. youre now looking at the choice of paying $400 to fix a tv that is obviously some years old and can probably be replaced for less than that if you wanted equivalent specs or not much more than that if youre looking to update to 4k or newer smart crap or w/e and in the end youre still not guaranteed it will fix it. it could be the cable from the board to the screen thats bad or it could be within the display assembly itself and now youve thrown $400 at an older tv that still needs to be replaced

my parents just went through all of this (b/c old people hate everything new) and ended up just having to buy a new tv anyway. the tl;dr is that you can fix a tv but you shouldnt bother

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LastInLine posted:

tbf theres only four parts to a tv the screen the housing the control board and the power supply (and the last two could be one unit in some sets)

if the housing or the screen break you can see how those cant be fixed so youre left with the ps or the control board. the power supply runs about $100 and thats usually easy to diagnose it either powers on or it doesnt so thats around $150 to $200 for a guy to come to your house and replace that so i can see going that route

the control board is a bit dicier since they can cost $250-$300 and youre looking at another $100 on top of that for a guy to come out. youre now looking at the choice of paying $400 to fix a tv that is obviously some years old and can probably be replaced for less than that if you wanted equivalent specs or not much more than that if youre looking to update to 4k or newer smart crap or w/e and in the end youre still not guaranteed it will fix it. it could be the cable from the board to the screen thats bad or it could be within the display assembly itself and now youve thrown $400 at an older tv that still needs to be replaced

my parents just went through all of this (b/c old people hate everything new) and ended up just having to buy a new tv anyway. the tl;dr is that you can fix a tv but you shouldnt bother

Ending really is better than mending!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

fuckin cant stand when poo poo like that draws emotions

like people point towards the the start of the movie up as good story telling because within 10 minutes you meet someone and then you're crying

its good directing, and its using the power of magic and psycology to abuse your brain into feeling hella emoitions and making ya think something intense is happening

id rather laugh at farts

i know its the yospos conspiaracy theory that eveything is focuse tested and clockwork oranged to death but some humans are just good at putting good images and sound together, makes u think.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

AtomD posted:

this is a very pretty ad until 15 seconds from the end where it fucks up real bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ist3aGf85sw

lol this is what happens when u dont use an ilm outsource company to do your animal renders

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

LastInLine posted:

...in america

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

dont act like u even understand other cultures until you live there for a few years

trust your localization teams they really know what will hit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pagancow posted:

dont act like u even understand other cultures until you live there for a few years

trust your localization teams they really know what will hit

lmao

pro tip: talk to people irl and dont watch ads is what im saying

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Yes, we have finally achieved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yuxV75pT6E

a movie length ad about a washing machine!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Comments disabled

google should put the comment server on an ad server so that if you adblock they just take your voice away state manded ads should be part of the price u pay for having our corporate overlords giving you the right to speech lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol if you dont block comments already

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pagancow posted:

Yes, we have finally achieved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yuxV75pT6E

a movie length ad about a washing machine!

this is a movie about an old man playing a piano while he does his laundry, what is a sam sung?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BONGHITZ posted:

this is a movie about an old man playing a piano while he does his laundry, what is a sam sung?

actually, machine lady was doing the laundry

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pagancow posted:

Comments disabled

google should put the comment server on an ad server so that if you adblock they just take your voice away state manded ads should be part of the price u pay for having our corporate overlords giving you the right to speech lol

lol i block comments and ads and this is the best idea ive ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

uunnnnffffff I love it when a site sells out every corner to a brand

site takeovers still work because people in windows have to click somewhere in the window

• Locked thread