Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pagancow posted:

uunnnnffffff I love it when a site sells out every corner to a brand

site takeovers still work because people in windows have to click somewhere in the window

it's funny looking at the ublock stats when you visit a page. with default settings it blocks ~45% of all requests on each IMDB page. RIP everything i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pagancow posted:

site takeovers still work because people in windows have to click somewhere in the window

im the brand guidelines breaking custom logo that some tweedy business drone got real mad about on a call

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

Comments disabled

google should put the comment server on an ad server so that if you adblock they just take your voice away state manded ads should be part of the price u pay for having our corporate overlords giving you the right to speech lol

i agree, two birds with one stone.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Agile Vector posted:

im the brand guidelines breaking custom logo that some tweedy business drone got real mad about on a call

mickey mouse said "okay what does this fat sack of cash buy us" and they had to come up with new exclusives that nobody else has ever had on a site takeover.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

ive lost count of the number of times ive had to make something look like poo poo because BRAND GUIDELINES!!! for example, one of our customers has a logo which is their company name, italicised, in a puke-yellow square (making up the colour, real one is too specific). normally it looks like this:

i was setting up branding for some web portal poo poo and it had a navbar which is 30px high so i wanted to just crop their logo to 30px high centred around the text like this:

however the powers that be insisted on following their brand guidelines which dictates the logo must be a 1:1 square. so because of that it now looks like this garbage:

that's my branding bullshit rant enjoy your holidays

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cheese-cube posted:

ive lost count of the number of times ive had to make something look like poo poo because BRAND GUIDELINES!!! for example, one of our customers has a logo which is their company name, italicised, in a puke-yellow square (making up the colour, real one is too specific). normally it looks like this:

i was setting up branding for some web portal poo poo and it had a navbar which is 30px high so i wanted to just crop their logo to 30px high centred around the text like this:

however the powers that be insisted on following their brand guidelines which dictates the logo must be a 1:1 square. so because of that it now looks like this garbage:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that's like a double violation of they guidelines.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese-cube posted:

this is what happens when companies ask for "a logo" instead of an identity system which should always include variations for small sizes, black & white, reverse, etc.

it also happens when the company refuses to actually hire or retain a designer and just lets the idiot marketing people handle things, they might actually have a rectangle logo variation but not even know it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cheese-cube posted:

same, except 16x16

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
our marketing people settled on a lower case word for our logo so I just take the vector and stick it in an appropriate sized rectangle and they don't care as long as the text looks ok. also I don't usually tell them I'm doing it which helps alot

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
you know what i love?

companies that have otherwise normal ads, but then there are a bunch of social media site logos somewhere in the bottom of the ad. yep, facebook and youtube sure do exist.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
for some reason I had to disable ublock to buy my star war tickets on fandango

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wheany posted:

same, except 16x16

favicon_brand_cropped_resized_v5_notshit_maybe.ico

"it was the best we could do boss!"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

cheese-cube posted:

hey man they spent at least a cool million for that branding guideline so you HAVE TO FOLLOW IT JESUS

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Silver Alicorn posted:

for some reason I had to disable ublock to buy my star war tickets on fandango

hahaha this is what happens when you leave your browser in the hands of the mafia

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

get ready for browsers to all become fiefdoms of internet you can visit, and you'll need several installed to make stuff work

lol open internet you are going to lose to phone apps

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i suspect i could still enumerate the entire lehman color swatch. it was very ugly

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pagancow posted:

get ready for browsers to all become fiefdoms of internet you can visit, and you'll need several installed to make stuff work

lol open internet you are going to lose to phone apps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pagancow are you alright?

it seems to me that your previously shaggaresque pro-ad gimmick has become more alienated and desperate

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

this is unironically good advertising

if you are visiting the imdb page for the last jedi, you have already indicated an interest in the last jedi. that is an excellent time to inform you it is now playing in theatres, and show you cool promotional material!

it is a rare, rare case of non-search advertising not being terrible

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 16, 2017

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

but dont visit imdb

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

but how else am i supposed to find out that the man who plays Biggs from The Fugitive, the hearse driver from Bubba Ho-Tep, and Bob Bixby from the Nickelodeon TV movie Shredderman Rules is Daniel Roebuck?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is unironically good advertising

if you are visiting the imdb page for the last jedi, you have already indicated an interest in the last jedi. that is an excellent time to inform you it is now playing in theatres, and show you cool promotional material!

it is a rare, rare case of non-search advertising not being terrible

All IMDB pages were like this, I just went to the page for maximum irony/dissonance duh.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

CommunistPancake posted:

but how else am i supposed to find out that the man who plays Biggs from The Fugitive, the hearse driver from Bubba Ho-Tep, and Bob Bixby from the Nickelodeon TV movie Shredderman Rules is Daniel Roebuck?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/07/googles-mobile-search-results-now-include-videos-of-celebs-answering-your-questions/

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Wheany posted:

you know what i love?

companies that have otherwise normal ads, but then there are a bunch of social media site logos somewhere in the bottom of the ad. yep, facebook and youtube sure do exist.

this is double great since those social media companies change their logos like every week

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cheese-cube posted:

ive also run into this haha

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/12/better-ads

quote:

In June, we announced Chrome's plans to support the Better Ads Standards in early 2018. Violations of the Standards are reported to sites via the Ad Experience Report, and site owners can submit their site for re-review once the violations have been fixed. Starting on February 15, in line with the Coalition's guidelines, Chrome will remove all ads from sites that have a "failing" status in the Ad Experience Report for more than 30 days.

Chrome removing your ads that aren't purchased through adsense.

WEL
COM
TOTHE
FIEF
DOM

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh this is so great, all the ads on your site will be blocked if your site is not in compliance

better get google ads on your site so you dont have to mess with this!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

no mention of JS crypto miners, so thats ok because it's not obtrusive that your entire PC runs slow or battery dies in 5 minutes lol get hosed web browsers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

just block the ads op

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

blocking every single ad that trespasses the domain i'm browsing and it's great

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

been listening to music on pandora uninterrupted by advertisements for quite a while now

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

doesnt it just pause for 30 seconds of silence? like you just have to stand at attention while you imagine nickelback playing?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just pay for Apple Music

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

pagancow posted:

doesnt it just pause for 30 seconds of silence? like you just have to stand at attention while you imagine nickelback playing?

nope, nickelback continues uninterrupted

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pagancow posted:

oh this is so great, all the ads on your site will be blocked
agreed

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

basically if you run your own ads instead of going through google now you have to hire people to figure out what el goog is going to do in their browser

fiefdom

what side are you gonna take? firefox? Chrome? or EDGE?

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

pagancow posted:

what side are you gonna take? firefox? Chrome? or EDGE?

the pi-hole interface loads on all 3, I'm good OP

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

pagancow posted:

excuse me sir but it is a poorly hummed rendition of creed i imagine

Potassium Problems posted:

the pi-hole interface loads on all 3, I'm good OP

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in my recent travels across the internet i happened to encounter a link to an article on top ad publiclation "ad age" which i understand to be a sort of language play on the words "adage" and "ad" and "age"

ad age is amusingly itself full of ads, attempts at defeating ad blockers, and the like.

shame that in this glorious digital ad revolution era that i have access to secret wizardries such as "dev tools" and "dom editors" and "oh lol i see you decided to make the content 'dark' if i don't subscribe but-but-but-nonononononooooooooooo you can't simply intefere with my connkdjgnikrdgjrgnkrgndrgndrgj"

somewhere, in the darkest vestiges of the marketing department, a content admin is enraged, but at the same time, furiously turned on.

• Locked thread