Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloody posted:

i think u mean aids op

agreed, mods please change thread title to "this program is brought to you by: aids, because i love them and u dont" tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
normally i would be against adblocking, but it's a critical way to prevent malware

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bloody posted:

edge is pretty bad at keeping ads out of my life

ublock origin is now supported on edge and works just fine

not that i use edge, but i installed it in case i ever get the urge

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Share Bear posted:

Ads!

Drink! Because we're all gonna die!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlcSA5KI4Lw

What was that movie which was about the ad exec who went nuts and basically made ads like "this movie will gently caress you up for life"

it's nice to see liquor companies owning up to the fact that alcohol destroys lives and is a scourge

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i may not know art but i know games are not art

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i think i've found a justifiable use of the ignore feature for pagancow since it's comparable to ad-blocking otherwise

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah basically the major game sites are an extortion scheme

either the game companies pay them enough money, either in advertising or just straight payola or their games get less than 8.0 (aka the kiss of death)

when you get a reviewer that actually tries to evaluate the games objectively, they'll get ridden out on a rail if they don't quid the pro quo

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Schadenboner posted:

So would you say that, actually, it's about ethics in games journalism?

:allears:

at least for the big game sites, there never was any, it's just straight graft

and now we have a whole herd of boys who think the solution is by actively and aggressively hating women because it's the only method they see of controlling their clubhouse now that the games industry is so huge

it's further not a coincidence that most of them are computer touchers

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the gimmick has begun to break down

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
at least include a citation

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
solar eclipse news stories are just a conspiracy by Big Solar Eclipse to sell more solar eclipse

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

b/c of this thread i was trying to think of where i actually do see advertising

-on tv during live sporting events
-maybe if you count things like signs by the highway for restaurants and gas thats off the exit?

i mean no one reads print magazines or watches live tv or reads the newspaper or goes to retail stores or listens to the radio anymore and my state doesnt allow highway billboards so all the places i used to see ads are just gone

-going to the grocery store
-seeing other people's clothing/possessions
-looking at the products you own in your own home

people who say they "don't see ads" or "advertising doesn't work on them" are just generally oblivious, not some sort of willpower overlords

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

i thought about the grocery store but there i figure its advertising by necessity like they have to stock the shelves somehow so ofc if they can get paid to front certain brands theyll do so and if they didnt get paid well theyd still be fronting something

the other people thing well im a goon so usually in a given day im seeing like maybe one other persons clothing and possessions and they live in my house so idk that really counts because theyre also my possessions

i mean yeah youre right branding and signaling is embedded everywhere but i think thats kind of distinct from capital-a advertising maybe idk i could be wrong

you're very wrong

advertising is everywhere unless you literally never leave your home and make everything you own from scratch

brands are passive advertising, and even then you still see ads but they may not be liminal to you but that doesn't mean you don't see them and they don't have an effect on you

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
oh sweet thanks for the dictionary definition of a word i didn't know we were in d&d

the point is you're seeing them and they're influencing you whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not

if you don't want to see them, then i suggest you buy some land in the middle of nowhere and start watching some primitive technology youtubes

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

we arent but when youre using the language completely incorrectly its unlikely well find any common ground in discussion. your sentence did literally mean the opposite of your intended meaning after all

this is true but unfortunately entirely unrelated to my point i fully acknowledge that advertising exists and i am influenced by it

do you believe people hate ads because they dont want to be influenced or because they dont want to be bothered?

i believe that thinking and then furthermore stating you don't see ads is incredibly naive and displaying a general obliviousness, as aforementioned

i also think you stated as much because you were trying to display a level of unearned superiority because of your righteous lack of ad-seeing

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LastInLine posted:

ah so youre just wrong gotcha

"no u", the checkmate move of the d&d poster

get over yourself, friendo, you'll live a much happier life

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
thank you

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for accuracy they should have been born from the horse's rear end in a top hat

Something Awful Goons: Failing To Understand Cartoons Since 1999

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
wanna work for the ublock origin company

do they offer good benefits?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

talk about not sure if you're joking, there's star wars ads for cars, electric shavers, energy drinks, video cards, etc. a sequel isn't product placement for the previous entries I mean if the death star starkiller plans were hidden on a sandisk cruzer ultraflair usb3/microusb flash drive or if rey found a limited edition blu ray set of the first 6 movies in that basement under a lightsaber that would be a little different

one of the reasons the marvel movie machine works so well financially is they take place in the "real world" so tony stark can drive an audi and use oracle and they can get a huge tax break to film a scene in seoul

not to mention region-specific scenes with popular actors and regional products that they cut in so they can better monetize certain markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
can't wait to see finn toss rey an ice cold pepsi to slam before taking on emperor snoke

• Locked thread