Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

native advertising gets around adblock but doesn't solve the problem of the inventory being utter poo poo.

ads inject very well into a tv-watching session. ads are genuinely useful as a search result. but they're just a frustrating intrusion on your twitter timeline or fb messenger or snapchat or whatever.

the problem is that a lot of modern media consumption habits just don't provide good ad inventory. "native" or whatever an ad network is selling this week won't wave that problem away with a magic wand.

there is, so far, no advertising on a smartphone that both a.) doesn't suck and b.) could plausibly absorb the demand for advertising that presently exists.

yeah I know facebook makes tons of money because they're just so huge but for all the targeting and segmentation they do the inventory is garbage and the idea of "if we don't have a good ad for this spot or user maybe don't show an ad at all" is an idea nobody will ever buy because their whole industry is based on covering the internet in crap

so many of the ideas that are supposed to make mobile better end up being garbage, when "local" advertising is telling me I can get $2 off a sandwich at a shop that's 5 miles away that's not a good experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

The future of ads are hyper personalized, or native based off the niche audience who is watching

so the question is, do you watch niche content, or stuff for the masses?

niche targeted display ads are currently made in bulk by offshore randos on fiverr, it's economically impossible to make more ads for less money

search ads work because they're text so they're easy and cheap to make

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm old enough to remember a time when the phrase "an erection lasting longer than four hours" on national tv would probably have resulted in a congressional hearing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my new job routes all our traffic through their hq in the midwest and it's hilariously disrupting all my targeted ads

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went to marshall's yesterday and they had a father's day display that was just polo shirts and cargo shorts

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

aspirational ads aren't that bad, they usually have decent cinematography and audio at least

one that's totally played out now is what I call the anthem ad with usually stock-looking footage of attractive people doing interesting things while different people say "we" constantly like "we work hard" "we play hard" "we know what we want out of life" with finally "we need excitement from a new kind of salad dressing" it's like the aspirational ad but way more nakedly banal

the market research ad is the absolute worst of 20teens trends though, loving gm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the worst recent anthem ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rW-1ZXS4M

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can't remember the last time any price point was mentioned in an ad let alone a discount the cost of things is dynamic now based on time of day, your location, device, etc. I'd assume any actual ad with a price baked in and not a "shopping link" was something like those invicta watches they say are $1000 msrp and they're "on sale" for $300 [they're actually like $20 watches]

dynamic pricing makes that obsolete, you only get discounts from visiting company sites or coupon scrapers

the people who make the ad units depend on them being deployed to 100000 different locations, they can barely manage ot make them at all the different sizes they need they're not going to do time sensitive content unless they really need to making ads is way mroe expensive than the airtime so you gotta leverage the crap out of all your creative

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mulligan posted:

the way real effective advertising is done is based on a lot of complex data-generated insights from Kantar or Nielsen or something*, tied to brand universal truths** , killer creative*** and a correct and effective media campaign† and complex roas estimates††.

* hand-waving and justification using numerology to meet the original assumptions of the client
** horrid, damaging cultural stereotypes that perpetuate the worst aspects of our culture
*** watered down garbo full of cliches, somehow costs more per second than a hollywood movie
† your lady poop yogurt ads end up on brietbart
†† again, numerology, this time to make sure the client doesn't dump you

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah but the fractional distribution network effect of online ads means that a good portion of your metrics is utterly worthless because the network that bought the extra inventory from somewhere else magically ended up in an indian clickfarm and not in front of suburban american moms age 30-49

it's just referral networks all the way down

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

someday disney is going to figure out how to do actual product placement in star wars and it's going to be depressing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese-cube posted:

m8 they product placed the original trilogy into the last movie nothing is beyond their reach

edit: not sure if you were joking or not but holy lol, disney already know how to place their product, star wars.
talk about not sure if you're joking, there's star wars ads for cars, electric shavers, energy drinks, video cards, etc. a sequel isn't product placement for the previous entries I mean if the death star starkiller plans were hidden on a sandisk cruzer ultraflair usb3/microusb flash drive or if rey found a limited edition blu ray set of the first 6 movies in that basement under a lightsaber that would be a little different

one of the reasons the marvel movie machine works so well financially is they take place in the "real world" so tony stark can drive an audi and use oracle and they can get a huge tax break to film a scene in seoul

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they’ll figure out a way

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese-cube posted:

that's my branding bullshit rant enjoy your holidays

this is what happens when companies ask for "a logo" instead of an identity system which should always include variations for small sizes, black & white, reverse, etc.

it also happens when the company refuses to actually hire or retain a designer and just lets the idiot marketing people handle things, they might actually have a rectangle logo variation but not even know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only "consumer friendly" advertising would be one where the user would explicitly request ads on a specific topic, aka no advertising

• Locked thread