Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

guys guys gusy guiys

they made a trailer

FOR A POWER SUPPLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USVG4dG5mlg

They should really do something about all that arcing in the transformer. That can't be good for your computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's a p good ostrich

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's cool how people are blind to internet ads these days. like they have done gaze-tracking studies and people have developed the ability to automatically ignore ads without even looking at them. all those millions of years of evolved signal-to-noise filters working perfectly, but instead of ignoring grass and finding tigers, they're ignoring irrelevant advertising. it's amazing.

the only place that advertising "works" at all -- i.e. gains your attention -- is when you are literally forced to watch it before you get to the thing you want. you know what that's called? indoctrination. brainwashing. nazism.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

gently caress off with this poo poo

lol I'm sorry about the gigantic stick in your rear end

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

help police there is a man on the Internet making facetious exaggerations

hitler loved advertising. you can't deny that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

absolutely would use the broken beta OS. no matter how bad it was, it would still be better than having random ads for lysol and golf clubs and other useless poo poo popping up to distract me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh, well, if you can keep the level of advertising down to the level i'm capable of setting it to in w10 (which is to say: 100% opt-out-able), that's okay. advertise away as long as it can be disabled by the end user.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Raluek posted:

ads still subconsciously work on people who dont like to see them

someday you will be in a grocery store or whatever and you'll have a choice between two brands, and the one you have heard of before will get your money

actually, the one with the lower price per unit will get my money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes: pay a reasonable one-time fee for a thing i like

no: ad-supported "free" content with no purchase option

loving no: ongoing subscription models

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

disagreed, im a big fan of patreon

"donate money to someone who does a thing you like" sounds like my item #1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah, i thought patreon was like a paypal thing where you could just donate money to people who do things you like. i didn't realize it was a subscription.

garbage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dad looks like a traumatized veteran experiencing anguished PTSD

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

I'm not a computer expert but shouldn't the parts be in the computer dad?

he's yelling in frustration bc he piled all the parts together but the games still don't work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't use atom

i don't know how they managed to make a text editor laggy but open source finds a way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder if it affects the flavor. i tried laser-cutting a pizza once and it worked, but tasted like burnt hair

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the cutting was successful, edibility is tangential

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

congrats on giving yourself weird deathcancer

organics really should not be cut by laser and ingested

(im sure its actually fine but who knows)

eh i wouldn't say it's any worse than eating a grilled something or other with some charring on it. as long as it's not every meal you're fine

Xaris posted:

yeah now hypercook the food and see what happens lol

granted very small area % but still

once it's so burned that it's converted to elemental carbon it's not gonna get any more carcingenic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

but seriously guys, give your self all a pat on the back for trying to stand up against the evil ad man like seriously you guys are the greatest

I will. thank you!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basically imo ads break down one of two ways

1) the amount of money that the company makes off me is so marginal (like 0.005 cents per page load or w/e) that i'm effectively meaningless to them
2) the amount of money that the company makes off me is notable (a few dollars here and there) and therefore i should have a say in how i'm going to dispense my valuable attention

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

"since people who adblock hate seeing things they would want to have"

your have brain problems and should seek help

i turned off adblock on some poorly coded website a while back and suddenly it reloaded and replaced the white background with a gigantic animated colorful ad for fabric softener.

as a millennial, i would never buy fabric softener, even if i did want it, which i don't.

the ad noticeably slowed down scrolling on the page, which irritated me, and created a powerful enough association that now when i think of fabric softener i remember that ad (don't remember the brand! just the existence of the ad) and become angry, which reinforces my desire to not buy the loving stuff.

working as intended?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow et al. complain that ads support the content and such, but they only do that because of this massive long-game con that advertising agencies have pulled to convince other industries of their value. it's just phenomenal money transfers from corporations to the media for little actual benefit. strange.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Seriously have you ever tried telling gamers "why don't you just stop preordering poo poo even though you've been burned?" Even people I consider reasonable fall back on "but you get such good deals on bonus content!"

i've never had this experience. it sounds like you're associating with the wrong people.

pagancow posted:

lol websites have little value. got it.

websites have lots of value. advertising doesn't -- it's only valuable because the industry says it is. i'm sure that, as an insider, you have a perspective that lets you see both the academic studies showing that advertising conversion rates are utterly abysmal, and the industry publications showing that wow actually advertising is the most best greatest way to spend your money everyone has to do it all the time or else and we're not in denial of anything!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 20, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a company tricked them into buying a lovely product by lying about its quality. that's extremely effective advertising, granted, but it only works repeatedly on the terminally stupid (gamers).

no one else is going to keep pre-ordering products from the same company that burns them like that over and over again.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

100 sticky paying customers are worth more than 1,000 freeloaders who will just go somewhere else when your js is tied to page load

let's be realistic

it's more like 100 sticky paying customers for every million freeloaders, of which 100,000 will go somewhere else when you force them to view your insipid garbage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fixed pricing for all customers is pretty much an invention of the american advertising industry circa 1920

prior to that it was normal to haggle over any purchase, and for shopkeepers to arbitrarily raise or lower prices depending on how much they liked you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cable tv: pay 10 times the price of netflix for even worse content, but every 3 minutes we will make you watch some smarmy insipid propaganda for a product you never want

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

out of curiosity do advertising execs' spreadsheets take into account the people who become so infuriated by an ad playing dozens of times in the course of an episode of tv, or by the ad's message not agreeing with them, that they come to loathe the company and swear to never patronize them? or do they just reject reality completely

like, i will never purchase a lysol-brand product in my life thanks entirely to my disgust with their television advertising messages

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ads are widely recognized as a negative feature of our society, which is why we have to repeatedly make laws restricting their spread

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i found this in my /img folder

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the last time i saw an advertisement i liked, steve was alive and macs were still made of bright polycarbonate.

everything since about 2007 has been poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

saudia arabia has culturally advanced to 1920 (in one small way) and it's good to encourage them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

huh, alright then. thanks for the explanation

"ASMR" , "autonomous sensory meridian response", is the tingling in your body that you get when you listen to really good music, or have a really strong emotional response to a piece of art, or have your skin gently stroked by a lover, and so on. it happens to literally everyone with a functional nervous system.

for some reason, some people find that this effect is triggered by listening to girls whispering in youtube videos, but if they just said "i get all tingly when girls whisper at me" people would correctly say "i don't care" or "that's gross" so they gave it a fancy invented name and pretend that they're some kind of cutting edge psychonauts

quote:

The term "autonomous sensory meridian response" was coined on 25 February 2010 by Jennifer Allen, a cybersecurity professional residing in New York[5] in the introduction to a Facebook Group she founded entitled the ASMR Group.[6]
Prior to the subsequent social consensus that led to what is now the ubiquitous adoption of that term, other names were proposed and discussed at a number of locations including the Steady Health forum, the Society of Sensationalists Yahoo! Group and the Unnamed Feeling Blog.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ads are really awful

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Print ads are sometimes cool and good

Video ads in any media are the great Satan

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

wait. they couldn't do that already? what the gently caress have they been paying for?

i think facebook does its own analysis of the posts and then sells ads by saying "we can reach 10,000 women in kentucky making $80,000 or more a year who like horses and bourbon", but that's all the client sees.

this sounds like now if you're a Preferred Ad Partner you can get access to the content itself

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

cant believe i actually watched this. saw a robot fall over, two robots get stuck, and then a some very good acting when the robots "crashed" into the commentator's desk.

i knew watching two giant robots fight would be disappointing, but not like this

I went to a BattleBots taping and all the fighting there was real and good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They called the 4th Xbox Xbox One X

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just wanted to update this thread to let y'all know that when i saw the ads for The Orville they made it look like the worst most abominable poo poo imaginable, and i was actively repelled from watching it, and it took human beings telling me otherwise to convince me to watch it and actually it's fairly decent. the advertising was 100% detrimental.

well done, ads

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

guys this is post your cool ads thread, not talk about "i saw an ad"

thats like saying "guys i breathed oxygen today! now im so dirty!"

I ain't seen a good ad in a long, long time

the green tuft & needle bus station ad campaign all over the city got me to look into and eventually buy one of their mattresses, so i guess that was a good campaign. the casper mattress ads on every podcast everywhere got me to specifically reject their product.

ads are best when they are seen and not heard, and when they're not seen anywhere you would otherwise have something nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ok, here's a good ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMj7wJOiZKA

• Locked thread