Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i watched rick and morty on tv during a vacation (hotel had cable) and holy poo poo it is jarring to be bombared with ads every 10 minutes after a few years of streaming bliss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Stymie posted:

yeah basically the major game sites are an extortion scheme

either the game companies pay them enough money, either in advertising or just straight payola or their games get less than 8.0 (aka the kiss of death)

when you get a reviewer that actually tries to evaluate the games objectively, they'll get ridden out on a rail if they don't quid the pro quo

Didn't Electronic Gaming Monthly reguarly trash games? RIP print media.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

pagancow posted:

YouTube pr-roll with "advertisement" on it still exists

premium content TV channels still roll ads during commercial breaks even online.

so they're pulling a hulu?

noticed amazon prime video does this too now, plugs stuff between shows

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
if blocking ads is bad/illegal i should be able to sue sites that push malvertising onto my precious compy

til then ill block the ads!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

AtomD posted:

ive uninstalled my adblocker because of this thread

enjoy your malvertising

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
apparently they've started editing new product placements into old shows

http://ew.com/article/2011/07/07/how-i-met-your-mother-reruns-bad-teacher-zookeeper/

quote:

If you’ve watched syndicated reruns of the sitcom How I Met Your Mother in 2011, you might have been startled to see advertisements for movies such as Bad Teacher and Zookeeper in episodes that originally aired as early as 2006, long before those films were made. The photos here, for instance, are from the second-season episode titled “Swarley,” which originally aired Nov. 6, 2006 — more than four years before Bad Teacher hit theaters. So… what exactly is going with this phenomenon? EW investigated, and here’s the scoop.

Turns out that 20th Television — the studio distributor behind Mother — has been selling promotional spots in syndicated episodes to wring even more money out of the sitcom’s already rich syndication deals. Specifically, the feat is accomplished by a partnership with a company, SeamBI, which stands for Seamless Brand Integration and is responsible for digitally altering old episodes with new products and brands.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
the artistic integrity of friends "how i met your mother" is shattered

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-browser-safari

quote:

Internet advertising firms are losing hundreds of millions of dollars following the introduction of a new privacy feature from Apple that prevents users from being tracked around the web.

Advertising technology firm Criteo, one of the largest in the industry, says that the Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP) feature for Safari, which holds 15% of the global browser market, is likely to cut its 2018 revenue by more than a fifth compared to projections made before ITP was announced.

With annual revenue in 2016 topping $730m, the overall cost of the privacy feature on just one company is likely to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

Dennis Buchheim, general manager of the Interactive Advertising Bureau’s Tech Lab, said that the feature would impact the industry widely.

“We expect a range of companies are facing similar negative impacts from Apple’s Safari tracking changes. Moreover, we anticipate that Apple will retain ITP and evolve it over time as they see fit,” Buchheim told the Guardian.

“There will surely be some continued efforts to ‘outwit’ ITP, but we recommend more sustainable, responsible approaches in the short-term,” Buchheim added. “We also want to work across the industry (ideally including Apple) longer-term to address more robust, cross-device advertising targeting and measurement capabilities that are also consumer friendly.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i mean, is untargeted really so terrible?

for example, if i sell a special cleaning spray that can get cum stains off of particle board, I don't need a list of serial masturbators, i can just put ads here on something awful

• Locked thread