Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Boiled Water posted:

without ads out lives would be like in utopia, the book not the concept

São Paulo removed all outdoor advertising and signage a decade ago and things became significantly better both from an aesthetic standpoint and because they could no longer hide crumbling buildings/infrastructure behind billboards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I started blocking JS on sites whose page loads were >10 megs and the ads just went away on their own

how hard would it be to buy ad space with google Adwords and target it so that I only see my own ads?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
so can I use this for my GPU now https://ghostgunner.net

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I wanted to watch some tasty How It’s Made using the Science Go app on my ATV last night

I got shown a BMW add that was designed for Hulu/The Web because there was a Click Here For More Info banner that slid up from the bottom of the screen.
except it was clearly burned in because whoops you couldn’t actually select the button and click on it

I also managed to somehow get two video streams playing over each other at the same time but offset by several seconds so I was trapped in a nightmare where I was being blasted with knowledge about how organic pop-tarts are fabricated.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you don't Adblock on mobile page sizes usually double at minimum, and thus correspondingly shred your battery life and your data plan.
the alternative is to turn off JS which makes things lightning fast but breaks like 40% of sites in some critical fashion.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

lol post more ads

https://weather.com/science/space/video/best-place-to-watch-eclipse

Weather channel promo for total solar eclipse

the only good part of The Weather Channel was their actual forecasting/data science division which they sold off to IBM so they could stuff it into Watson because they're desperate for that division to save them now that mainframes aren't a cash cow

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Americans are really not good at understanding how to haggle

saw a guy at a Best Buy trying to get a ‘good guy discount’ on a phone like it was PC Richard & Son in the 90’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
block JavaScript and watch ads go away

and all the content

• Locked thread