Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/5yp7j8/take_your_heart_edition_came_in_a_little_early/

Game shipped early to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

That guy preordered on the 7th and he got his today.

I preordered on JUNE 7th and I still don't have mine

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Luna Was Here posted:

:same:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

After viewing this last night I had a dream I had the Take Your Heart edition in my hands. That was too much for me to believe and I realized it and woke up almost crying. I probably won't even be able to get it when it comes out. I wanna kill myself. Also I smoked weed and got high in my dream when I never have irl.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh god maybe mine's at home right now

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ordered my Take your Heart Edition on Amazon,no chance in hell they ship it early

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Luna Was Here posted:

Agreed but they haven't released the free JPN DLC pack so I'd be waiting anyways.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Something I'd forgotten to ask about - can the social links reverse in this game like in Persona 3? Or is it like Persona 4 where that mechanic's all but removed?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the best fan localization is the western chapter of live a live

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

smenj posted:

Something I'd forgotten to ask about - can the social links reverse in this game like in Persona 3? Or is it like Persona 4 where that mechanic's all but removed?

No, the mechanic is dead

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

No, the mechanic is dead

Cool, I always thought it was a silly idea. I get the intent was probably to make you think more about your responses and have them mean something, but the mechanic probably just led to people looking up social link guides more than anything else.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It feels like they made a few really smart realizations after the way the S Link system played out in Persona 3. Basically, it seems like when they were designing the first iteration, their intent was that different players would have very different experiences with the social aspect of the game and that nobody was supposed to max every S Link or see everything in one playthrough. So you had some agonizingly slow ones to advance, reversals, a really tight timeframe for a perfect run, and nothing that feels essential - i.e. party member Persona evolutions - gated behind S Links. The problem was that a lot of people missed a ton of content, and you had two play philosophies emerge: people who just sort of did whatever with S Links and didn't bother explicitly maxing more than one or two for their ultimate personas, and people who followed an exhaustive guide methodically to the letter.

Persona 4 seemed to embrace a totally different design philosophy, one that anybody who planned well and made smart choices could do a perfect or near-perfect run on their first playthrough, so that more players would get to see more of the game content they spent time writing. In return, they gated some more important game mechanics behind S Links, because it seemed more reasonable that every player would at least max several party members' and a few others besides, which made finishing your S Links feel more rewarding. Maxing lots of S Links was a much more realistic goal for a casual player, and a serious one could reasonably have a perfect run without using a guide.

Basically it's the same mechanic, but it feels like it has a different role and different consequences by design. It seems to me like 5 continues in the direction of 4.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wizard on a water slide posted:

It feels like they made a few really smart realizations after the way the S Link system played out in Persona 3. Basically, it seems like when they were designing the first iteration, their intent was that different players would have very different experiences with the social aspect of the game and that nobody was supposed to max every S Link or see everything in one playthrough. So you had some agonizingly slow ones to advance, reversals, a really tight timeframe for a perfect run, and nothing that feels essential - i.e. party member Persona evolutions - gated behind S Links. The problem was that a lot of people missed a ton of content, and you had two play philosophies emerge: people who just sort of did whatever with S Links and didn't bother explicitly maxing more than one or two for their ultimate personas, and people who followed an exhaustive guide methodically to the letter.

Persona 4 seemed to embrace a totally different design philosophy, one that anybody who planned well and made smart choices could do a perfect or near-perfect run on their first playthrough, so that more players would get to see more of the game content they spent time writing. In return, they gated some more important game mechanics behind S Links, because it seemed more reasonable that every player would at least max several party members' and a few others besides, which made finishing your S Links feel more rewarding. Maxing lots of S Links was a much more realistic goal for a casual player, and a serious one could reasonably have a perfect run without using a guide.

Basically it's the same mechanic, but it feels like it has a different role and different consequences by design. It seems to me like 5 continues in the direction of 4.

I'm glad to hear it. The idea of playing according to a guide is totally abhorrent to me so Persona 4 was a nice balance.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Luna Was Here posted:

there are a moments a single shipped order can make a fanbase lose their mind

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I think I like every character-tied Persona in the OP which I'm pretty sure wasn't the case for 3 or 4. Nice designs.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm glad to hear it. The idea of playing according to a guide is totally abhorrent to me so Persona 4 was a nice balance.
I'm very upset at the greedy devs dumbing it down for the casuals. Please look forward to my romhack where it's impossible to maximise everything in one run, and impossible to use a guide because everything is randomised with a seed that's fixed at the start of the game.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I was watching someone do a playthrough for the early stages of the game, and since they picked "Safety" difficulty they can't recruit any new persona since hitting an enemy's weaknesses basically kills everything instantly.

What are the main differences between the different difficulty modes?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Multipliers on enemy hp and damage mostly.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Are Mudo and Hama instakills really gone for good?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Are Mudo and Hama instakills really gone for good?

Well, Goro's bio in the op mentions instant death skills so probably not. Unless there are new instakill skills now.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, Goro's bio in the op mentions instant death skills so probably not. Unless there are new instakill skills now.

Honestly, I’d be glad if they are. It happens once per game or so,but main character +new enemy+ instakill always was bullshit. Didn’t Tokyo Mirage Sessions also not do MC Death Game Over?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mudo and Hama are not gone, they just are not the sole spells in Dark and Light anymore, you have actual damage spells now with them. Tbh, you're less likely to die from them in this game than you are any other P3 and on Persona game. You're more likely to die from enemies bum rushing your MC with AOEs or random crits then ganging on him than you are instakills.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That’s fine I guess. Thanks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/841384241497759744

Atlus USA featuring a Japanese VA. What is happening?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The game has dual audio so they're probably trying to spotlight the JP VAs more to advertise the feature since it's the first time they're doing it

Alternative snarky and more cynical answer: The English dub sucks and they don't have much faith in it and are trying to draw focus away from it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol it's gonna be fine

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

English dub probably gonna be superior to the weak japanese voice actors just like persona 4 was :getin:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This time around the whole "Japanese dub is better" crowd is going to hear the screeching mascot character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dehry posted:

This time around the whole "Japanese dub is better" crowd is going to hear the screeching mascot character.

Morgana's Japanese voice kind of owns though.

I was down on P4's Japanese voice acting but P5's is genuinely largely really good. It's no loving Teddie at least.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Evil Canadian posted:

English dub probably gonna be superior to the weak japanese voice actors just like persona 4 was :getin:

Dehry posted:

Okay, I wouldn't go that far, the JP dub of P5 is actually good, even the screeching mascot character.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

I'm not even one of the "Japanese dub is better" people and I think the JP voice acting is loving spectacular. Morgana's voice is genuinely pretty fantastic.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Captain Baal posted:

Morgana's voice is genuinely pretty fantastic.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Persona 5 is gonna cost the equivalent of USD 75 :australia:

Still gonna buy it ofc

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Captain Baal posted:

I'm not even one of the "Japanese dub is better" people and I think the JP voice acting is loving spectacular. Morgana's voice is genuinely pretty fantastic.

What's kind of fun about being a Japanese speaker is that it helps you appreciate a really good performance even more, and so far the P5 Japanese dub is really good with almost no annoying characters this time around (I'm looking at you Rise and Teddy). Ryuji's voice in particular is nice because it has that sing-songy, somewhat Chiba dialect that softens his edges and keeps him from being as easily categorized as another Junpei/Yosuke clone.

Morgana's pitch is perfect because you can really imagine that is what a cat would sound like with human speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxRX6LXDpWs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
morgana honestly just sounds like a normal anime character, nothing like teddie did in JP. His VA does Chopper in One Piece too, with a similar voice. She's also the voice of Pikachu in the pokemon anime, and since that role doesn't get dubbed over, you've all heard her voice before. Every last one of you.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

morgana honestly just sounds like a normal anime character, nothing like teddie did in JP. His VA does Chopper in One Piece too, with a similar voice. She's also the voice of Pikachu in the pokemon anime, and since that role doesn't get dubbed over, you've all heard her voice before. Every last one of you.

Another sign I've been waiting for P5 all my life. Also, April is so far away.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

As much as I wish this game had come out like last year, or even on Valentine's Day like it was supposed to have, I'm really glad it's finally coming to the US in under a month. I might be done with Zelda by then. I hope I'm not too old and jaded now to love it as much as I did Persona 3 and 4.

I'm also glad I haven't read/seen a thing about it. I didn't even read the OP. gently caress the OP. (I did catch a peek at that VERY RED map, though... I dunno about that... I've got a pretty big TV.)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

Persona 5 is gonna cost the equivalent of USD 75 :australia:

Still gonna buy it ofc

Get the Collectors Edition, it's 89 Euro or 94 dollars in Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

enojy posted:

(I did catch a peek at that VERY RED map, though... I dunno about that... I've got a pretty big TV.)

I'll most likely be playing it on a projector...
I'm pretty curious about that map since it's so huge. People who played the game, roughly how many of those locations are part of the "normal" map you can walk around freely in after school, I'm guessing a lot of them are only seen in special events, cutscenes or social link events?