Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
I am in the market for a "beater" Miata under $5k. Rust seems to be a big issue for these cars, and I have no clue what level of rust is safe and what should send me running.

I live in the city and am too poor to pay for off-street parking only (Cambridge, MA-- its $200/month for off street uncovered). I'll probably find somewhere to stash the Miata for the winter, but this car is going to live on New England streets most of the year. So I know I wont be helping at all with the rust situation, and given that I'm totally fine buying something that isn't 100% rust free now. That said, I don't want to die in a crash because the car is actually swiss cheese underneath. Are there any basic things to look for to separate out the deathtraps from just cosmetic, or at least cars that wont be deathtraps for at least a few years?

For example, does some evidence of rust on the rocker panels suggest any structural or safety problems? As a first step, I'm not looking at New England cars at all, my dad is checking out cars I find in the MD/DC/VA area and will drive one up for me. I found a nice NB on Craigslist that otherwise looks great, but the seller sent me the following picture when I asked about rust:

Is there a way I can tell, in pictures or in person, if this kind of rust is evidence of something much more serious? I've read that the seat belt mounts are first things to go in this area, which is pretty horrifying.

mcgreenvegtables fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!
Awesome, thanks for the advice.

And very interested in checking out your car! I have been dreading the idea of doing the timing belt on the street and getting heckled by uppity neighbors. You don't have PMs but you can email me at da green at gmail.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

destructo posted:

If you're going to keep it on the street, go even lower on price and get one you can live with. Cars with rocker rust aren't going to fall apart. The easy/janky way to deal with it is just to cut it out and flare over it.

I ended up following this advice. Just scored a 2003 in Garnet Red with 130k. $4300. Came with a hard top, leather, 6 speed, and LSD. Some rust on the inside of one of the rockers next to the tire, but it doesn't seem structural and isn't visible unless you crawl under the car. This was the best car for the price I found on craigslist, and I looked in Atlanta, Nashville, Richmond, etc as well.

My dad picked it up in Maryland this afternoon. Will post more in the Miata thread when I get it up to Boston.

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

Is it unsafe without one?

mcgreenvegtables
Nov 2, 2004
Yum!

destructo posted:

No? And on the street it's pretty much pointless and more of a liability if you get rear ended (I have a rollbar :v)

Nice find! Garnet red is pretty rare, and with a hardtop that's a loving steal.

If anything, given that hardtop theft is becoming a real thing thanks to the lovely 240/Honda kids buying these cars, if you don't have a place to keep it, you may want to invest in toplocs.

Definitely no place to keep the top. Luckily it already came with top locks. I was thinking it might do me good to actually keep the hard top on as much as I can when I'm parking on the street. To deter theft via slashed soft top and make it look more like an actual car. But if hard tops are really getting stolen maybe this is counter-intuitive. Low deductible comprehensive was pretty cheap on the car, but not looking forward to fighting with insurance about the value of the hard top and if its covered or not.

• Locked thread