Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
Problem description:

There are two things that I have questions about, I have a server based off an old Supermicro X8DAH motherboard. This is my learning how to box, that I can mess with and try out various settings before they go into a production environment. So it can come down and stay down for a couple of hours without any dire consequences, it's also my media server, as well as my backup server for various computers around my house.

The current configuration is a windows 2012 host server with a windows 2011 Home Server VM, and a few other non essential VMs that I run from time to time, but other then the 2012 host and the 2011 VM none of the other VMs are of any significance.

1.What I am looking to do is change the host from Windows 2012 to VMware, without changing the server hardware itself. I have done P2V before, but it was in situations where there was a new set of server hardware and I was importing everything live to a completely different host. I have never done P2V where the hardware remained the same. Is there any recommended way to do this? I was looking around at the VMare site, and I want to make sure I am looking at the right stuff, and to see if there are any tips tricks I should be aware of.

2. I would like to use a USB drive to boot from on a normal basis, instead of a regular SATA drive, I have seen they sell USB sticks with versions of VMware preloaded on them. Could I preload one on my own stick? How are these in terms of reliability?

*EDIT* I should have mentioned that currently all of the VMs including the 2011 Home Server are run through hyper-v from the 2012 host.

Attempted fixes: I am still in the research phase and have not attempted anything yet.

Recent changes: No

--

Operating system: Both Win 2012 and 2011 are 64bit, and VMware would be the new OS I am looking to go to

System specs:
Nortel Case with 10 hot swap bays
Dell Perc 6i RAID controller running RAID 6
Supermicro X8DAH motherboard
72gb of 4gb ecc RAM
Xeon L5640 x2
various PCI cards for USB 3.0/video/networking
one 256gb SSD for win Home server 2011 OS
one 128gb SSD for win server 2012 server OS
one 1TB drive to backup both OS installs encase of disk failure

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, I am collecting info for the P2V conversion

MasterOSkillio fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Just so you know, there is a Virtualization Megathread that can probably better answer your questions, or at least point you in the right direction. It most likely gets more traffic than the Haus

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003
woops, missed that! Thanks for the heads up.

• Locked thread