Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Episode 14: Due Process

under construction, sorry

You dirty tease!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I suppose this is obvious, but I feel I should say something about it: I'm probably not going to do more ET videos for the rest of the season 1 reactivations. They're not really engaging to me anymore and I've burnt out on this game a bit, so that's why I haven't really posted much in the way of new content here. That said, IO's teasing something soon so I might be convinced to pick this up again for more content if it's anything good.

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1003667740857491456

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

ChaosArgate posted:

I suppose this is obvious, but I feel I should say something about it: I'm probably not going to do more ET videos for the rest of the season 1 reactivations. They're not really engaging to me anymore and I've burnt out on this game a bit, so that's why I haven't really posted much in the way of new content here. That said, IO's teasing something soon so I might be convinced to pick this up again for more content if it's anything good.

Are you planning to cover any of the summer bonus episodes (icon/house built on sand/landslide)? Regardless thanks for the LP, always fun to see how different people approach this game. Hoping to see a season 2 LP in the future.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What if the next target is Melania Trump, and her extended disappearance from the spotlight is the ultimate viral marketing campaign? I'd have thought they wouldn't do something so risky and tasteless after they fired most of the Absolution crew, but who knows?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

What if the next target is Melania Trump, and her extended disappearance from the spotlight is the ultimate viral marketing campaign? I'd have thought they wouldn't do something so risky and tasteless after they fired most of the Absolution crew, but who knows?

Maybe let's not say anything that could get Lowtax in trouble with the secret service again. :v:

Blasmeister posted:

Are you planning to cover any of the summer bonus episodes (icon/house built on sand/landslide)? Regardless thanks for the LP, always fun to see how different people approach this game. Hoping to see a season 2 LP in the future.

I still want to at least give them a go, but I don't know that it'll be nearly as in-depth as the main LP videos were given that I haven't actually played those maps yet. :v: Maybe some streams sometime down the road?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You dirty tease!!!

I'm sorry, I too am feeling the burnout, plus I've had houseguests this week that are taking up most of my time. I should be able to knock out both this and the next videos' notes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm sorry, I too am feeling the burnout, plus I've had houseguests this week that are taking up most of my time. I should be able to knock out both this and the next videos' notes.

No biggie! I just like your writeups so much

TBZ
Apr 22, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

IO's teasing something soon so I might be convinced to pick this up again for more content if it's anything good.

Probably related to this, right? Unveiling at E3, perhaps?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1003786522749894658

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe let's not say anything that could get Lowtax in trouble with the secret service again. :v:

Good point. I do not condone the assassination of public figures.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Episode 15: Cease and Desist Notes
Intro cutscene
No particular notes, except that the acoustic guitar strumming they pull when Victoria appears on camera is so freaking cliche it's painful.

County Jail
I can't tell if this whole "get caught in jail and break free" segment was always meant to be here- a lot of the assets in this first room are suspiciously reused and cobbled together. The final station reception area has some nice foreshadowing and dialogue that you missed, but because (as usual) there's a single guard disguise in the whole map, it's a pain and a half to play. Retrieving your guns (again) is especially dicey.

"quote-unquote 'control room'"
Yep, that's one heck of a forced start with the ropes and the alarm box.

Power Cord at 3:36
I don't remember if this is the first time it's happened, but there are two or three places where you can pick up a fiberwire replacement in the game- almost all of them are electrical cords, and they all work just like the fiberwire. In this case, if you fail to pick it up, you don't have a fiberwire for the rest of the chapter. Not too egregious, though, because it's placed to be obviously visible/available for a sneaking player.

The Evidence Board
Hoo boy, this board at 3:54 turned into a rabbithole. "Maybe someone will be interested in this" indeed.

I can't tell exactly what it was, but there was at one point some sort of material in the script discussing the hunt for a serial killer, running through much of the game. It's the basis for evidence boards you'll see in the Hope police station (they definitely used to be used elsewhere, in Chicago). Based on leftover information and a throwaway line from Ethan Hawke, I think one of two things was planned. Either Cosmo Faulkner was going to be revealed as the killer, or the idea was Faulkner was mistakenly attributing all of the Hawaii Room deaths to 47- serving as his motivation to follow 47 from place to place. In any case, after this subplot was cut. Faulkner's role was diminished, and he became a locus of promo materials for the game. Faulkner has a ton of leftover faked-up police reports and documents that were released on thriving social media platform google+ to "flesh out the plot". It's impressively overwritten, and it has leftover sequelbait hooks that I don't want to spoil.

A decent shot of the evidence board. Note the repeated references to "hands", and there's text references to Terminus and Rosewood.

And yeah, "victimes" is totally just the devs loving up.

Chloe the dispatcher
For the record, that was her you iced at 6:13.

Outgunned/Hope is Burning
The exploding gas truck, the suspiciously out-of-nowhere helicopter appearance by Travis, and the sudden influx of ICA grunts frames the inclusion of "Hope is Burning", a big 'ol setpiece that was one of the earliest unifying themes of Hitman Absolution. Early drafts of the game had "Hope is Burning" as a subtitle, and the destruction of Hope was going to be a a massive symbolic loss of innocence meant to parallelize with Victoria's...you know. It was at one point the core concept; the game was originally going to take place entirely in Hope, and would center around a dying 47's corruptive, influence, culminating in it, and his, destruction (and maybe rebirth, that's not clear from my notes).

As the project scope continued to overinflate, as it became simultaneously a military sci fi mystery action thriller crime noir Western horror tragedy with comic overtones and characters from Se7en, Desperado, Hard Boiled, the Dukes of Hazzard, Grease, and every single film Tarantino's ever awkwardly focused on the feet of, with scenes and homages in Chicago, Not-Texas, Not-New York City, and Mount Rushmore, with themes of water, sex, rape, violence, christianity, redemption, industry, Americana, parenthood, sacrifice and doves, it became difficult to keep the old concept in. It's not clear there was ever a distinct rationale for why Hope would burn, or what it meant- or how it related to any other characters or scenes.

Ultimately the devs wanted to have it both ways- an image of conflict destroying the town, and of 47 fighting the corrupt sheriff, and of ICA escalation, and of Dexter working with the ICA, and of the ICA betraying Dexter. This was how they tried to split the difference. It's obviously tacked on, and it doesn't work- but this isn't a problem unique to Absolution. There are a number of infamously bad B-movies that have this issue. Such films cram together the stolen plot elements of a whole bunch of popular films, producing an incoherent confusing mess. It's more surprising to see this in a AAA game like Absolution because it's from an established developer, and because even more than with film, game making is really money and labor-intensive.

At root, in film or in games, this issue occurs when the people at the top
a) don't know what makes the ripped off material successful,
b) in the case of a sequel, don't understand the core material that made their own IP successful, and most of all,
c) don't have a clear vision of what they want the game to be.

HITMAN 2016 still owes a lot to other films and material. Many of the best moments of the series have been (to be generous) homages to existing film. The principal difference is that HITMAN 2016 has a strong, narrow sense of its own identity that is translated into its plot, design, and promotional materials in a consistent way.

In terms of gameplay, this is weaksauce. You just crouch-skulk to either edge of the map and, like any number of other levels, wait for patrols to move so you can get to the shoe store and move on. The gas truck will explode on its own when you reach the right spot, triggering another scripted set of NPC conversations and movements that clears the path to the exit.

Burn
I really like the Burn setpiece, despite myself. Like Attack of the Saints, there's room here to establish an intimidation factor for your enemies- and even though it's a tiny four-room setpiece, it's executed pretty well. The emergence of the Heavy Troopers is foreshadowed, but not too foreshadowed. You see their shadows rushing past a window moments before, but they're not mentioned by NPCs and their appearance is a surprise- and the initial view you get of them is intimidating, with the raging fire, nicely framed door, sweeping lights, and gas mask breathing sounds (even if in practice the smoke makes the room easier to work with). Burn also has a really fun challenge, Misty Eyes, where you use the smoke and chaos to ice 10 of the Heavies without being seen. In general it's a great setpiece, even if not perfect in a game like Hitman.

Agency Heavy Troopers
Agency Heavy Troopers are the "ultimate" guard/enemy NPC, only used here and in the final mission. As such, aside from their entirely normal detection rate, they have some neat features and design elements. I've never actually seen their radio beep alert people in stealth, but that's because, for whatever reason, it doesn't happen if you garrote or choke them- and for me it's always been completely silent kills, or all loud, whereupon there is Much Beeping. Heavy Troopers wear more extensive armor based on military gear, and are the most heavily armed non-unique enemies in the game. The heavy troopers also do a decent job of conveying their armored areas, which are extremely bullet-resistant. In particular, they're the only enemy with an armored helmet, so if you go for headshots, you have to aim for the lower half of their face.

The Trooper is generally a pretty darn well-made model, one that effectively conveys "badass enemy":

In practice, almost all Heavy Troopers use the masked models that show up on the sides of this render, and Trooper armored areas are darker compared to the unarmored parts. The lighter facemask below the bulletproof helmet has the effect of highlighting the weak spot on the Heavy Trooper - I can't tell if this was intentional or not.

The Heavy Troopers were designed and modeled by Tom Isaksen, a character artist for IOI. He was fired after Absolution, and has decidedly landed on his feet: he's now lead character artist at Ubisoft Paris. Isaksen was a character art lead for the series for a long, long time, since Contracts. As such, his portfolio site, http://tomisaksen.com, is quite interesting.

Unfortunately, although his work's quite good, like half of Isaksen's online portfolio is women in bikinis or underwear, which doesn't bode well for his role in Absolution (he did the stripper models, of course). His site's Absolution section (which has a bunch of renders and is worth checking out) does provide some insight into development:

quote:

After I finished working on Hitman Blood Money back in 2006, I started working as Lead Character Artist on Hitman Absolution. I worked with the talented programmers at IO Interactive to develop the entire production pipeline for characters and created 100s of characters for the game. Creating characters for a Hitman game poses many challenges that most other games don’t have. Besides creating a living, breathing world with 100s of characters, Agent 47 has the option of taking the clothing of the other characters in the game as a disguise. This means that unlike most other games Hitman has 100s of possible hero characters. This created a huge challenge for the very small character team to manage. The work displayed here is just a small part of the work I did for IO Interactive between 2006 and 2011.

[...]Each character [in Absolution] is about 12.000 faces (triangles) and uses 120 bones. [...]

In order to create all the characters on time, we tried to keep a maximum of 10 work days spent on each, which included up to 5 variations, different faces, hats, etc. but also an undressed version in underwear and a version with Agent 47’s face and body. The work also included rigging and skinning the characters. It was great fun to work on the Hitman games, I’ve spend more than 9 years working with the bald assassin, Hitman Contracts, Hitman Blood Money and finally Hitman Absolution. I’ve since then moved on to different things, but Agent 47 and the Hitman games I will always remember as something special.
The portfolio site includes a gameplay version of Cosmo Faulkner's model, and a partial shot of an obese gang leader and his crew that, iirc, were an early planned target in Chinatown. Which, of course, went all the way through the asset pipeline before going unused.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. A tremendous amount of work went into this game. It's tragic that the whole is so much less than the sum of its parts (and that so many of the devs are so skeevy).

A Note on Surgical Precision
Surgical Precision's levels require 3, then 5, then 7 headshots in a row- with the last level being on some sort of time limit ( I couldn't find a good source for the exact value, or if it's all within x seconds, or if it's effectively a combo timer). Some mentions online say that the headshot combo had to be completed without being spotted, but it appears that was patched out. Of course, since it was patched out, it's another multi-level challenge where google searching will reveal a number of players, confused about why a higher tier didn't unlock properly...

In any case, it's not too bad- the challenge descriptions ("The collective IQ is dropping...fast", for level 3, for instance) make the task fairly intuitive. The Hope Fair section is where you're supposed to get it, though there are videos of people doing it anywhere.

Hope Fair
Under better circumstances, this sort of "evade a well-equipped, well-trained force" would be exhilerating, like the cornfield segment in Attack of the Saints. They have patrol teams, a massive force of heavy troopers, even a dude on a roof sniping position. Unfortunately, the Hope Fair (with its impressive crowd AI) is immediately evacuated as soon as the player arrives, so it's more of the usual diving behind waist-high cover, waiting for and moving past a fairly linear set of guard patrols. The only "advanced" part is that one set of NPC guards makes its way down the street toward your starting position. This doesn't functionally change your route, though- you either crouch/coverswap your way up the left or the right side of the street. Hope Fair is another map with no safe disguises- Heavy Troopers see through ICA grunt outfits, and vice versa, and the trooper on the roof will never spot you unless you go loud- and he's just equipped with a normal assault rifle, anyways.

Snipers, conveyance, games and Hitman
The Hitman series has a longstanding issue with sniper NPCs. The worst mission in the series (aside from Absolution), Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing, is infamous for its snipers, and generally, although the game has provided players with sniper rifles, but not truly resolved what role sniper enemies or guards should play- and whenever they're implemented, they've been a hot mess to deal with as a player.

If you think about it, though, these are also issues present in pretty much any game with sniper enemies. Snipers are an inherent problem for gaming and player enjoyment. Videogames require bending the rules to make the combat and navigation enjoyable, and beatable. Enemies are signposted, they do less damage at range, their AI has intentional weaknesses...in particular, enemy behaviors are heavily conveyed to the player so that the player can formulate a response. Snipers, in real life, are anathema (heh) to this whole process- the idea is that they hit you when you have no indication of their presence. It's the opposite of fairness, and not fun to deal with.

Different games have addressed the problem of sniper conveyance and player response in different ways- lasers, cones of vision, restricted cone of vision, secondary indicators, forced inaccuracy on the first shot...the list goes on. The question of how to a) tell the player where the sniper is, and b) still let the player feel smart for noticing, is an ongoing tension in games. It's not really satisfactorily resolved, even in other stealth games like MGS. This is likely why HITMAN 2016, and, in fact, every hitman game after Silent Assassin, did away with enemy sniper guards. Some enemies might carry sniper rifles in Contracts, but they actually have the normal range and behavior of conventionally armed enemies.

In any case, Rabbit, the guard on the radio in the starting bar, will never pick up his rifle and set up a nasty 45 degree ambush. He's just here to make sure players are aware of the sniper rifle- and to set up a location (stocked with C4, proximity mines, and extra ammo) for the player to complete the Surgical Precision challenges and generally turn the Agency soldiers into hash. Do note that if you spend about a minute in this area, the street patrols will get to, and eventually station additional guards in, the upper level of the bar.

The Worst Lost and Found in Hitman: Absolution
Lost and Found difficulty varies a lot in Absolution. The truth is, with some exceptions (many of which I've already noted), most of the levels are pretty OK about it. Worst case scenario, you wipe out everyone in the map and run around looking for that one wrench or knife you missed. Hope Fair is the exception. There's a single, unassuming weapon in the Lost and Found that requires an extra-special leap of logic to obtain.

The missing weapon is an Aries 24-7 pistol, a "lower tier" weapon which is normally carried by early game enemies. Wade's men carry it, Chicago beat cops carry it- even some of the NPCs in Streets of Hope carry it. The police in the Hope jail do not. Nor, indeed, do any civilians in the Hope Fair. It's not lying in a corner, or locked in a gun safe. The ICA soldiers don't carry them, they have Agency-branded gear. And Heavy Troopers don't carry pistols, right?

On the Hard difficulty and above, only, one singular Heavy Trooper in the Hope Fair map carries an Aries 24-7 pistol. What's more, this Trooper is not a normal guard. He spawns with the backup team. No, I do't know why this transpired.

I can't tell if this is a bug or not- but if so, it would indicate that the Lost and Found tabulation is automatically generated from all items and weapons left in the level. This would explain the other, patched, issue where inaccessible, cut items left in the level geometry were still tallied in the Lost and Found.

Reinforcements
I was wrong earlier- it looks like "Backup" is a finite set of enemies that spawn over time from predetermined locations- sometimes one at a time, sometimes in groups. The rest is just you just gradually pulling forward the AI of like 40 enemies that really don't want to leave cover.

"There was another gas truck, I guess"
Cool, I'd never seen that explosion. That building houses a distillery. I'd set it on fire, but I'd never blown it up like that.

Outskirts
It's, uh, a road. I'm pretty sure there are other roads into the town, this particular one just doesn't go there. Outskirts is weirdly coded in the game, set partially as a separate mission and partly as an immediate follow-up to Hope Fair. For this reason 47 will snap back to his suit and pistols when you enter this tiny cutscene of a "level". I suspect there was originally more going on- possibly a whole level set around the church. I really can't tell, though, there's nothing that lays it out explicitly anywhere.

Hearse Easter Egg
Getting near the back of the hearse will trigger the scratchy audio effects for being near an NPC.

The Church and the Preacher
Something was cut here- infiltration, a full level, a longer cutscene, something. When 47 comes into the church, Skurky is already partway up the aisle, limping, armed and bloody, but no one is reacting to him. All of the crowd reactions to Skurky also don't make any sense. The preacher you see for a brief second has a unique weird All-American Priestman outfit that doesn't show up elsewhere. My guess is he was a concept art that someone fully implemented in 3D, without any place for him.
...Did 47 just execute him in the middle of a room surrounded by witnesses, in his suit, and just...leave? In Requiem 47 killed every civilian in the place to keep his identity secret. Jeez, idk.

Skurky
Skurky's character role in hitman is basically to be killed, to make weird/gross mouth noises, and to be really into some sort of quite mild S&M (in the, uh, basement of his jail, for some reason- there's no indication he does it to prisoners), which is shoved forcibly into the plot for no reason other than Tarantino did it. At one point, though, Skurky was going to be one of the main characters of Absolution. A lot of the narrative, at least for a first act taking place in Hope, would be presented from his perspective, as he waits for 47 to kill him in his home.

Skurky's house would be mostly empty due to alimony from a recent divorce- which was played straight, to make him sympathetic. Yes, this was also in the drafts where Skurky was a participant in the planned Victoria group rape/murder. Skurky and his house were meant to tie in with the whole "Hope is Burning" plot and theme structure. That's why he dies in the church, with the Ave Maria swelling, and 47 walking in slow motion away from the burning town...before walking back into the burning town to steal the hearse. At one point, the death of Skurky was basically the game's climax. The cutting of this material was, uh, not a great loss.

Ultimately, Skurky was reduced to "gross perv corrupt sheriff guy". My guess is the grossness was implemented because a) Pulp Fiction did it and b) it continues the trend of trying to imply a sexual threat to Victoria without making it overt. The game does this a bunch.

I'll discuss Ms. Cooper later. Whatever happened to her, anyway?

A note on Skurky's Mustang Snub
Since the cutscene ends the level immediately upon his death, it's impossible to retrieve Skurky's unique weapon (which is a cosmetic edit of the other mustang snubs in the game, maybe with imperceptible stat differences). Since you can't pick it up ingame, you can only purchase it for a cool million dollars in Contracts mode- that's several mission completions' worth of money. There's another gun with the same "feature" later in the game.

A note on progress
Completing Operation Sledgehammer and finally leaving Hope ends the game's incredibly bloated third act and now leaves us in a relative sprint to the end. Thank god.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 22, 2018

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
And just in time for season two of the game people unironically enjoyed.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hitman: Absolution 16 - Change of Pace (Commentary)
Hitman: Absolution 16 - Change of Pace (Cut Commentary)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Its all downhill from here, folks.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Brief interlude to go back way uphill, folks.

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1004770089323978752

Edit: Not episodic, so if I LP it, expect a new thread a few months after its out.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 7, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

Brief interlude to go back way uphill, folks.

https://twitter.com/RobotBrush/status/1004770089323978752

Edit: Not episodic, so if I LP it, expect a new thread a few months days after its out.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
At least SE has the sense not to double down on their FF trash to the exclusion of their other actually good IPs

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Square has nothing to do with Hitman and IO anymore, actually! They did a management buy out last summer and set IO, along with the Hitman IP, free, because Square didn't feel like they could properly support the continued development of HITMAN™.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ChaosArgate posted:

Square has nothing to do with Hitman and IO anymore, actually! They did a management buy out last summer and set IO, along with the Hitman IP, free, because Square didn't feel like they could properly support the continued development of HITMAN™.

I did some Google-Fu and so apparently IOI bought themselves up from SE (which I'm happy for) but are now stuck between a rock and a hard place on funding. I hope they don't go the way of Sleeping Dogs...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm still not done with Operation Sledgehammer's notes, because I found a horrifying rabbithole of abandoned plotlines and promotional material, and have gained deep, eldritch insight into Hitman Lore. Progress is being made, though.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm still not done with Operation Sledgehammer's notes, because I found a horrifying rabbithole of abandoned plotlines and promotional material, and have gained deep, eldritch insight into Hitman Lore. Progress is being made, though.

Congratulations on gaining Eyes on the inside. Remember to come up for air every once in a while :allears:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

You're a true hitman hero, Vox

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Discendo Vox posted:

I've introduced your information on Absolution so far to many people just now, and have received a resounding chorus of "WHAT THE gently caress, WHY"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I wish I could pretend this involved actual work or insight on my part, but it’s mostly just bothering to look. This new material is actually linked on the Hitman wiki!

edit: I'll post the Faulkner material after the LP ends, because it's spoilers.

And who would want to spoil the plot of Hitman Absolution.

edit 2: It's done! There are, as Jobbo predicted, a bunch of stupid things I'm gonna detail from the One of a Kind mission, but it's still way shorter. Everything remaining is way shorter. Home stretch baybee!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 11, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hitman: Absolution 17 - Man Eater (Commentary)
Hitman: Absolution 17 - Man Eater (Cut Commentary)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hitman: Absolution 18 - Foggy Memories (Commentary)
Hitman: Absolution 18 - Foggy Memories (Cut Commentary)

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
There actually is someone in the Blackwater lobby you can use to bypass the retinal scanner. In fact, it's one of the challenges for that level. The only female NPC on that map is the one you're looking for there. She's the head of security or something like that. The penthouse section of Blackwater has one of the few (maybe the only) instance of a disguise that's actually useful. Those bodyguards that follow Layla around the map are wearing full face cover and 47 will, for once, take it as part of the disguise. And it totally works too. No dodging every other guard with instinct. The penthouse is one of the few areas where you have some decent amount of flexibility in how you approach it. There's quite a few different ways to take out Layla and some of them feel like prototypes for 2016.

Now, as far as Countdown goes, there's really not much to say about it. There are a couple of different things you can do but there's not much difference. For example, there's a tower or crane thing near the helipad that you can shoot over and it'll fall on some of those mines and destroy them. Why this doesn't alert Dexter is beyond me but whatever. You were wondering about the Take 'Em Down challenge too. Part 1 is just get 3 headshots (obviously not a problem here), part 2 was indeed to dump 6 bodies unseen. Part 3 is just to kill 10 enemies unseen. At least that's what I've found about them but who knows if those are the actual requirements.

Good news though, just one level to go.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Wow did not expect you to upload the other video so soon but I can't blame you being this close to the end of the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

David D. Davidson posted:

Wow did not expect you to upload the other video so soon but I can't blame you being this close to the end of the game.

I want this to end so I can work on my other LPs and I figured "What better way then to just dump whatever I had as quickly as possible since Hitman 2 is releasing in the near future!"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thank christ, that long-rear end level's over, I just have to do a writeup of one of a kind and I'll be all caught u-

dammit

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Discendo Vox posted:

Thank christ, that long-rear end level's over, I just have to do a writeup of one of a kind and I'll be all caught u-

dammit

Well, I'm sorry about what will transpire tonight/tomorrow.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So is ten million dollars that much money to Stuckey? Is it worth pissing off an organization of super assassins?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

So is ten million dollars that much money to Stuckey? Is it worth pissing off an organization of super assassins?

Considering he apparently owns an arms manufacturing company, I cant imagine 10 million being anything too special.

Then again its 10 million dollars and his payroll keeps getting smaller and smaller...

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Considering he apparently owns an arms manufacturing company, I cant imagine 10 million being anything too special.

Then again its 10 million dollars and his payroll keeps getting smaller and smaller...

I think the bigger issue is drawing attention to himself especially since he's going to just sell Ellen Page's super genes. But 10 million in liquid cash is pretty useful, he might have all his money locked up in assets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I kind of doubt 10 million even comes close to covering the cost of blowing up his own goddamn building.

The key is that this is lovely 'grindhouse' stuff so an impressive sounding number and a suitcase full of money as a macguffin are all that matter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

I kind of doubt 10 million even comes close to covering the cost of blowing up his own goddamn building.

The key is that this is lovely 'grindhouse' stuff so an impressive sounding number and a suitcase full of money as a macguffin are all that matter.

1. It's a tax write-off

2. Insurance

:smuggo: Checkmate, goon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

An actual plot about a guy who is intentionally pissing off an international murder agency so he can write off the loss of all his unprofitable goons and buildings as insurance and tax write-offs would kind of rule.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The main hitman thread reminded me of this tidbit which I've added to the Skurky's Law information post.

quote:

A note on the cut live footage TV system
I'd forgotten about this, so I'll re-add it here. The live footage of Ethan Hawke is left over from a plan by the devs to have live action footage on every TV screen in the game, with its own parallel meta-fictional plotline, sort of like Max Payne 2. Obviously the resource requirements to do this would be obscene, but hey, that didn't stop IOI from building it out and leaving its bloody stump in the game! This is why the footage on many TVs is either just a picture of a horse, or a very short clip from a cutscene. It's also why a couple of the TVs with horses have voiceover describing some sort of eldritch murder mystery plot.

The radio distraction objects throughout Absolution will also play flavor radio shows, building the world or tying in the plot. It's a fairly nice idea (and one used a little bit in Blood Money and referenced in 2016's Colorado level), but another example of the horrific scope creep Absolution went through.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 14, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Hitman: Absolution 19 - Angel of Death (Commentary)
Hitman: Absolution 19 - Angel of Death (Cut Commentary)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Freeeeeedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
I doubt they're names of anyone real, since their last names are all some kind of shield: The scutum is the typical Roman legionnaire's shield, the hoplon is the typical ancient Greek shield, and the aegis is, I think, Athena's shield.