Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can do that with any car on any map and it'll count as an accident kill so long as no one was killed with the thing you're using to set off the car. Wait, hang on, I'm pretty sure anyone killed with a propane tank/fire extinguisher explosion is written off as an accident kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
For me, the meat of the ET system is the learning of behaviour patterns, spotting of opportunities, the careful "don't step over the line until you're totally ready" play, and then finally the excitement of taking the plunge and knowing this is now your only chance. In other words, capturing the feel of actual assassin work. Just seeing the final take where you sprint through knowing every millisecond of what you had to do felt a bit...cut and dried. I hope you'll show more of the process when you get to ETs on levels the LP has seen. :shobon:

ChaosArgate posted:

You can do that with any car on any map and it'll count as an accident kill so long as no one was killed with the thing you're using to set off the car. Wait, hang on, I'm pretty sure anyone killed with a propane tank/fire extinguisher explosion is written off as an accident kill.

Yeah, fire extinguisher kills got so prevalent in ETs that they actually made an ET where it had to be an accident kill and you were specifically barred from using explosives, just to try to force people out of a default approach. I think that one might have been on Colorado too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, this one was a bit rushed because it's a combination of the fact that the LP hasn't actually hit this map yet and that I just really, really do not like this map in general.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also worth noting that a previous ET was literally Gary Busey.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I don't even own this game, but it's fun looking up people doing ET's on youtube that don't cookiecutter it, the tricks they get up to are amazing at times.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ChaosArgate posted:

I also really don't like Colorado

I don't ether but and forced to live here and the housing market is terrible.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I like and hate the Colorado level. I had to do some crazy and risky poo poo to get silent assassin the first time.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Discendo Vox posted:

A couple more examples of how very on point the IOI trailer game has been:
A story trailer for the tutorial levels of Hitman 2016 (no spoilers)

A trailer explaining/hyping disguises for Absolution. Note the large number of "joke disguises".
A trailer explaining/hyping combat for Absolution. Note the emphasis on combat- and the use of human shields, a mechanic very intentionally dropped for the new game.
Wait what the hell? Please don't tell me the goofy Colorado costume was an Absolution reference.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
What gets me about those trailers is that they declare 47 as "The Original Assassin." I get the that it's meant to be a dig at Assassin's Creed and all that but one, The Developers tried to turn him into Batman in that game, and two, he's pretty much a Gogol 13 knockoff.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

All your talking about Bond (and yeah, it definitely seems this episode was a glorious Bond homage) makes me wonder why nobody's tried to make a kind of espionage sim like this before. I mean, there was Alpha protocol, but that seemed a lot more conventional action game.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

gently caress yeah Paris. It's probably my favourite level, and it's a great way to show off the strengths of Hitman Trademark.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wait what the hell? Please don't tell me the goofy Colorado costume was an Absolution reference.

Yes. The scarecrow section was one of the few decently-handled parts of Absolution. The game's still considered canon, technically.

Yvonmukluk posted:

All your talking about Bond (and yeah, it definitely seems this episode was a glorious Bond homage) makes me wonder why nobody's tried to make a kind of espionage sim like this before. I mean, there was Alpha protocol, but that seemed a lot more conventional action game.

There have been a number of others, but this is a genre that's incredibly resource intensive and difficult to make good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ep 3 notes:
  • Note the references to the Delgado drug cartel in the intro- the cartel survived and has continued to flourish after you took out its head in Blood Money.
  • An easter egg in the intro cutscene, when it displays the NOC list, it uses the names and stats of past Hitman targets.
  • The bartenders mention the palace owner, "Mr. Larin". Larin was actually the first elusive target(ET), The Forger.
  • The stage speech thing is actually kinda misleading- Victor Novikov goes onstage even if Sebastien Sato gives the speech.
  • Novikov goes on a set loop of the lower floor during the show: Yell at Sato, Yell at kitchen, ask for drink, repeat. He has several one-off events that either occur on his first loop, when the player is nearby to witness them, or when certain other prerequisites are triggered. The most significant is a meeting he has with his personal assistant. After the show, Novikov's loop is mostly the same.
  • Margolis is on a slightly more variable loop that involves the upstairs bar, auction, her office, and checking on her second assistant, Haley.
  • Novikov and Margolis each have very interesting phone conversations where they are informed of the other's death.
  • Novikov didn't react because you ran up and shoved the normal bartender out of the way when the conversation was starting. With the exceptions of a couple later missions that are incredibly complex, Hitman's scripting is really resilient to interruptions.
  • In most missions, pipes or ledges that are visible to NPCs are marked as trespassing zones.
  • Both targets have several conversations during the level that provide further info and context for the ending cutscene.
  • The ending cutscene was one of the first ones made for the game. Although it nominally takes place on the palace grounds, (and we'll see that location at some later point), the location is changed from the cutscene to be much less open.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Man, you really like defaulting to the "Poison, then Drown" method of taking out your target, don't you? I suppose that's because it seems simple and available at all times, it means its a fallback method should the player screw everything else up.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

berryjon posted:

Man, you really like defaulting to the "Poison, then Drown" method of taking out your target, don't you? I suppose that's because it seems simple and available at all times, it means its a fallback method should the player screw everything else up.

As long as you can get the right disguise and find their drink, it's a reliable way to get them alone (which mean they're dead meat.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

berryjon posted:

It's a really simple kill method! I'm gonna show some other opportunities the further we go into each level, but the idea I had was to use the first video of any level to show off the relevant parts of the level and demonstrate a simple kill method for the targets. Next week, we'll get into some of the other fun things we can do in Paris.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wouldn't be the first time MI6 has outsourced extra-judicial operations, if the documentary comic of Modesty Blaise is to be believed.

Edit: Hah, the fashion show is called Sanguine Ice. Or cold-blooded.

Edit edit: They really missed the chance of a poetic irony cheevo by having the guy's favourite cocktail being a Screwdriver, then you killing him with one.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 22, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

berryjon posted:

See thread title :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

See thread title :v:

Yeah, I noticed. Are there levels where drowning isn't the safest bet?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

berryjon posted:

Yeah, I noticed. Are there levels where drowning isn't the safest bet?

Later on there are a couple methods of almost completely safe portable accident kill. Additionally, in many settings targets will go to vomit in a trash can instead of a toilet.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You should listen in on the conversation the between the npcs near the Iago invitation you picked up. And then follow the elderly lady. And then follow victor after that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
QR CODE
---------------------

IAGO VIP - AUCTION VENUE - UPPER FLOOR ACCESS

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

berryjon posted:

Just be glad he's not using the hitman version of this :v:

There'd be a hitman video of it here but it's in a future map so don't wanna spoil it since it's an amazing map

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Edit: Oops there's no actual cut/uncut commentary for this video, I'll have to fix that later when I get home.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 29, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The photobomb was amazing. Perfect timing. :allears:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Has the barcode even ever been acknowledged by anyone ingame?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nalesh posted:

Has the barcode even ever been acknowledged by anyone ingame?

You'll be described as a weird bald guy with a "tribal tattoo" at times, which is great.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'd wonder why 47 never got the barcode removed, if he didn't have magic disguise powers that made it not matter.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Hell even just hiding it with makeup, something that's very common if you have tattoos but work in for example, high end restaurants.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

wiegieman posted:

I'd wonder why 47 never got the barcode removed, if he didn't have magic disguise powers that made it not matter.

He cuts it off in Absolution and I think its referenced in-game to help him disguise himself a little mlre.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Really by his age it should be meaninglessly blurry. Bar codes kind of need more precision than you can keep on a tattoo for that many years.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He cuts it off in Absolution and I think its referenced in-game to help him disguise himself a little mlre.

I think he doesn't actually go through with it though? He just has a bandage for most of Absolution covering where the tattoo is because he still cut the back of his head.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

I think he doesn't actually go through with it though? He just has a bandage for most of Absolution covering where the tattoo is because he still cut the back of his head.

I know I said I'd LP Absolution for the thread but please don't actually make me do it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I know I said I'd LP Absolution for the thread but please don't actually make me do it.

Too late, you must suffer, like everyone who played that game did.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I expect informative commentary and 100% completion. That includes getting the inventory items that are glitched into the level geometry and completely beyond reach, and the weapons that are unobtainable because they only appear in levels that are a single quicktime event.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Finish Turning Point: Fall of Liberty first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Maybe it's a birthmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

Finish Turning Point: Fall of Liberty first.

I did though :confused: :negative: