Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002

wiegieman posted:

I'd wonder why 47 never got the barcode removed, if he didn't have magic disguise powers that made it not matter.

He never noticed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
He tried cutting it off in Absolution, but it grew back with the skin.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

GoneRampant posted:

He tried cutting it off in Absolution, but it grew back with the skin.

This works both in and out of context :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Did you remember to re-add the uncut version or not yet by the way?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think he meant to change the picture since there is only one video for this update.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Waffleman_ posted:

I think he meant to change the picture since there is only one video for this update.

Ah. Guess I missread that then. Oops.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I did though :confused: :negative:

No game can be that short!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

No game can be that short!

Well, it certainly challenged that definition.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, it certainly challenged that definition.

In that case it seems you don't have anything else on your plate, so it sounds like you don't have anything stopping you from playing Absolution then.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Has to be sucky for Hailey. Why did margolis have a drat dongle to screw with her own laptop though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

double nine posted:

Has to be sucky for Hailey. Why did margolis have a drat dongle to screw with her own laptop though.

Yeah, but she's not terrified out of her mind anymore now that Dalia is dead. Keep in mind she was a spy for a fashion magazine who found out that the woman she was spying on was not just a model but a terrorist and information broker. She's probably going to breathe a little easier once it all settles down.

I'd like to see a gimmick run where 47 just is super helpful to the various people hanging around in the mission.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, but she's not terrified out of her mind anymore now that Dalia is dead. Keep in mind she was a spy for a fashion magazine who found out that the woman she was spying on was not just a model but a terrorist and information broker. She's probably going to breathe a little easier once it all settles down.

I'd like to see a gimmick run where 47 just is super helpful to the various people hanging around in the mission.

Here you go, Nakar recently posted this in the general Hitman thread.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Keep an eye on this thread, whenever this new expansion hits I'll be the first to cover it.

https://twitter.com/iointeractive/status/848215134564741120

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
So let's talk advertising campaigns again, since Absolution's was an absolute trainwreck. Because HITMAN™'s actually hit some right notes.

Let's begin with some backstory, starting off with Realm Pictures. This name might mean something to you, since they were responsible for a pair of productions where they streamed live footage from their back yards to surprise people via Chatroulette, Omegle and Skype with their own Real Life First Person Shooter. People would have to remotely give instructions to the protagonist, and in Resident Evil or Doom-like fashion control the protag towards his goals. It was such a hit success, they actually did this twice. Honestly, check their Youtube channel for some of the behind the scenes footage, quite a bit of planning and co-ordination goes into these projects and they're honestly a small studio all things considered.

So about a year ago, Square Enix and IO Interactive got in touch with Realm Pictures, not too long after they had released their RLFPS videos. Word of mouth and internet movies move quickly, and IOI set out to plan something big for the return/revival/reboot of their flagship series, and they would create hype via these same channels of word of mouth and online movies. Square and IOI then went out of their way to invite assorted Youtube celebrities and videogame reviewers to what amounted to be a container with little to no information what was up. There they would find written instructions about the ICA and current goals and objectives, and, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KXJM_KJDc8
Video link.

Each group of invited had one hour to find and assassinate their target, as well as to disable CCTV prior to any assassination efforts. Oh, and get out alive.

You kinda have to see the efforts Realm Pictures went through and the resources they had access to to fully appreciate the footage yourselves. The people invited could play out a unique scenario of Hitman, with Liam Brennan (voiced live by none other than David Bateson himself) playing Agent 47. Twenty-two other actors were also present on the set of the Oldway Mansion in Devon, England, to respond and play out the scenario that sorta-kinda cribs a few elements from the Parisian Showstopper stage. A cameraman responded to Brennan's movements to provide the graceful over-the-shoulder views we are so familiar with in the Hitman games. It hit all the same notes of the HITMAN™ experience sans the HUD elements, coupled with people frantically trying to work their way out of problems and playing to Hitman's tropes and establishments. Everybody got to be 47's handler.

Among the invited were
  • Ali-A,
  • Smosh Games
    (couldn't find a stream on their channels)
    (they have actually started using a similar 'let someone else dictate to a player what to do' angle to their own playthroughs of HITMAN™),
  • Outside Xbox,
  • Sup3r Konar,
  • Piet Smeit
    (German start because a German channel, but the actual footage of the playthrough is in English),
  • PlayStation Access' Hollie Bennet,
  • Eyewave Games
    (couldn't find a stream on their channels),
  • LeFloid and Frodo
    (German start because also a German channel, but the actual footage of the playthrough is in English),,
  • Nukem Dukem
    (Full video without webcam),
  • OpTic Nation
    (couldn't find a stream on their channel),
  • Di3sel,
  • British children's entertainment duo The Chuckle Brothers,
    and last but not least,
  • Jane Perry (current voice actor of Diana Burnwood) herself.
    (visible in the initial compilation video at 0:57 and other sections - couldn't find the full playthrough anywhere)
The Behind the Scenes footage also is quite a joy to witness. No less than five pre-planned methods of entry were prepared, as well as about ten planned approaches of movement and costuming and approaching the target were set up (which Bateson would have hinted towards whenever Brennan came across an area or when they were prompted by the players to investigate something), which gave the entire session very close to that same videogamey experience. Of note, there was a phone call intercept or two where you had to actively distract and hold the attention of on-site actors while Brennan would continue to get past the actors - where the invited handlers had to handle the calls themselves.

All in all, Square and IOI really went all-out on this production, both in terms of what they could present in their modular, episodic content, and what they could do to create hype.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 5, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That was amazing to watch.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I worry about the ethics of some of the Hitman social media promotion, given IOI and square's history in the area- but at the same time, the people responsible for actually creating their content are unrelentingly excellent.

ChaosArgate, I encourage you to post a certain music video and soundcloud page in advance of a later mission. Heck, posting trailers for future mission eps might generally be a cool way to tease things, given how well they're done...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, that ruled! I've only watched one of them so far but now I kinda wanna give it a go! When I get a little more free time, I'm definitely gonna check out more!

Discendo Vox posted:

I encourage you to post a certain music video and soundcloud page in advance of a later mission. Heck, posting trailers for future mission eps might generally be a cool way to tease things, given how well they're done...

You know, I hadn't actually considered that, but thanks for the reminder! I definitely will once the time comes!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:perfect:

Okay, few remarks on this one:

1. the sheikh will go up to the balcony early on - I think somewhere around the 1m30s mark. If the limo beneath the balcony starts its siren (by shooting it, of course) he'll come to investigate and you can subdue him in the abandoned gift shop. Not as useful as the method used by argate but still decently reliable.
2. the pavilion has a blend in spot where you can ... blend in and not be detected by the patrolling guards. No need to hide from the guards.

3. there's a place behind one of the pillars near the gas heater you can stick a remote explosive to complete the challenge. Doesn't need to be a ducky in fact the regular one sticks to walls making it easier. You can see it on the left side of the previous screenshot.
4. Tobias Rieper is indeed an alias our favorite baldy used in Codename 47. No idea if it was used elsewhere in the series.
5. The room peacock & cobra get evacuated to is very useful for challenges. I used it to complete the In Plain Sight challenge on professional mode.
6. The leftmost guy near the fireworks remote will go to the bathroom shortly after finishing his dialogue. No coins required, and the other guy is much easier to avoid getting seen by (or just knock his rear end out and stuff him in the conveniently placed box near him. Just make sure the two guards who patrol the area don't spot you.
7. this is the only way in the entire game you can kill someone by dumping a body on top of him. I tried so many times to dump margolis on top of Victor when he goes onto the runway. Doesn't work. :( It's only the fireworks drop that's scripted to kill someone that way.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 5, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm just going to assume that the reason Dalia was suspicious of 47 was that he was wearing a battered old suit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm just going to assume that the reason Dalia was suspicious of 47 was that he was wearing a battered old suit.

Heh. Let's just say that if you think that suit is too conspicuous for an assassin, there's another one that makes him stand out like a christmas tree in the saharan desert.

and it's wonderful.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 5, 2017

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

It would be if I knew where to find Jane Perry's playthrough, somewhere, at all :sigh:

double nine posted:

4. Tobias Rieper is indeed an alias our favorite baldy used in Codename 47. No idea if it was used elsewhere in the series.

Yup. I dare say it's used in every game except Absolution, Hitman: Go and Hitman: Sniper.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Any way to kill Novikov and make it look like Decker did it?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

IMJack posted:

Any way to kill Novikov and make it look like Decker did it?

Unfortunately, there is no way to frame anyone for anything in this game. Would be really cool if you could, but I think it would become way too complicated programmingwise.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Isn't Sheik pronounced like 'Shake'?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Somehow this popped up on my Youtube video recommendations, and I think it's the only relatively good thing to come out of Absolution.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, we're done with The Showstopper, so this week we're gonna start the next mission, World of Tomorrow, so after Discendo Vox's suggestion, I thought it'd be fun to link the mission's launch trailer here!

Sapienza: World of Tomorrow

Also, just for fun, here's a cool 360 degree video IO put out for Paris. Click and drag the video if you're watching on PC or just move your phone/tablet if you're on mobile! There's one for Sapienza too, but we'll get to that one next week, once we've actually seen the level in the LP.

Paris 360

And for the OP, this is the closest I can find to a trailer for Paris that's along the same lines as the Sapienza one.
Paris: The Showstopper

There's also an Elusive Target going on right now for Paris, I have my run recorded, I just need to edit the audio and upload, so look forward to that either tonight or tomorrow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Elusive Target: The Paparazzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi3IXytFArI

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

supposedly this SA has a lot of optional content if you help the target get through the cellar and lose his bodyguard. I have no idea if it's worth it, and I don't care.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I mentioned as much in my run, but I don't really care either since ETs are one-shot only.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It honestly hasn't grabbed me like the others did, where I made a point to do them first thing. Likely because I already have both the "Complete an ET in Paris" Suit and have Paris mastery, but I feel like when I try it I'll just shoot him and make a run for an exit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

By the way, if anyone else wants to record runs for this thread, by all means! I just ask that you keep your commentary, if you choose to provide any, limited to whatever has already been covered by the LP, sans for any equipment you might want to bring with you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game seems like it gets one of the most important parts of a stealth game right, letting you see lots of little snippets of other peoples' stories while you run around quietly doing your business.

Also it's really neat to see a game that introduces the main character as a genuine artist of his craft which is actually about running through the hits a dozen ways to find more creative ways to pull them off cleanly or dramatically.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

ChaosArgate posted:

By the way, if anyone else wants to record runs for this thread, by all means! I just ask that you keep your commentary, if you choose to provide any, limited to whatever has already been covered by the LP, sans for any equipment you might want to bring with you.

Ah, stairs. 47's true nemesis.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sapienza is the level that keeps on giving. It's incredible that they managed to effectively get away with reselling this map twice in two of the bonus missions and no one minded because it's that good a map.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

At the rate this is going, shady/powerful individuals are going to start paying specifically for bodyguards to watch over them whenever they get sick to their stomach.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

GoneRampant posted:

Sapienza is the level that keeps on giving. It's incredible that they managed to effectively get away with reselling this map twice in two of the bonus missions and no one minded because it's that good a map.
I feel like at least with the one map I saw that they added enough assets to the map to at least make it feel worth it.
EDIT:
So fun fact. If Im not mistaken but that first opportunity you came across in the video is a contest winner from one of the mobile games.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 13, 2017

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Night10194 posted:

At the rate this is going, shady/powerful individuals are going to start paying specifically for bodyguards to watch over them whenever they get sick to their stomach.

I'm kinda glad it doesn't MGSV you actually.

Although I guess MGSV would just cover their mouths with armour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

MadScientistWorking posted:

EDIT:
So fun fact. If Im not mistaken but that first opportunity you came across in the video is a contest winner from one of the mobile games.
The dude that refuses to put on his pants and go to work?