Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Discendo Vox posted:

Each mission in Absolution has a multi-part challenge. For example, Terminus has The Electrician - Part I ("A tool of many uses") and The Electrician - Part II ("They never knew what hit them."). The latter can only be completed after the former, on a subsequent run of the mission. Here's what they require:

Part 1: Kill an enemy using the screwdriver, whilst wearing the Electrician Disguise and remaining unseen.

Part 2: Kill five enemies using the screwdriver, whilst wearing the Electrician Disguise and remaining unseen.

You're slightly off on the requirement for Part 2 of this challenge. It's even worse. You actually have to kill five enemies with the screwdriver dressed as the electrician unseen but you have to throw the screwdriver to kill them. Yeah.

Those multi-part ones are the worst. There's one in a later mission that's downright ridiculous but that'll have to wait until they get to that mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Discendo Vox posted:

Paging Boardroom Jimmy
I'm going to guess that Swordplay - Part III is the challenge you were thinking of. Am I right? would you like to do the honors of explaining what it entails? I need to go take a boiling shower after this video.

No, the one I'm thinking of comes much later on.

Angel of Death Part II in Attack of the Saints. Wait until you see the requirements for this one.

But since you offered, here's what Swordplay Part III entails. You can find a katana on the Chinese New Year map and the Swordplay challenges revolve around using it to kill the 3 targets. For part I, you just need to kill one of them with it and for Part II, you need to kill all 3 with it. It's a bit contrived but ultimately not that difficult to do. Part III, however, adds a really pointless caveat to the whole thing. You need to kill all 3 targets with the katana but you have to be wearing the ridiculous chipmunk outfit that you can find of this map. You also have to do all this completely unseen and without any of the bodies being found. Also, and I found this out the hard way, you can't sequence break the challenges and do Part III before Part II or have them count simultaneously. So I did Part II of the challenge in the chipmunk costume only to find out I'd have to do it again to actually get Part III to count. Yes, I actually did all the challenges in this game and no, I'm not particularly happy with myself because of it.

Boardroom Jimmy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Feb 7, 2018

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Discendo Vox posted:

I've got some more design notes, but mostly I just want to vent.

Since you can't see enemies aside from watching them directly or by burning instinct, and since most disguises don't work, there's no way to see and know and respond to enemy movement patterns. Navigation of just about every single level in Absolution is trial-and-error. Infuriating, and especially so when paired with inconsistent behavior scripting and difficult-to-parse vision cones for enemies. I started into getting the challenge Boardroom Jimmy mentioned, but I ran out of patience pretty fast.

edit: oh god I just realized something terrible about that challenge, curse you Jimmy now I have to get it.

I'll preach about it when we get to it in the LP.

I feel so bad for being responsible for this. This is what Absolution does to people. I think I can guess what the terrible realization you had about the challenge is (besides actually doing it) but I'll save it until we get to it.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Discendo Vox posted:

Up your arsenal Challenges
These three get a special mention for being so obtuse. Each requires beating the range challenge with certain weapons, but there's no indication which. The description is just "Stick to your guns. All of them." For the first level, you actually have to use one of the less common pistols. For the second, you have to use the Ultimax. For the third, you have to use Lynch's shotgun, and maybe you can use the sniper rifle hidden in the back of the range (I can't be sure, because the game is so reviled there isn't a consistent set of challenge descriptions). I, of course, thought I had to clear the range challenge with every gun in the level. I also didn't realize that using point shooting with some guns swaps you to your pistols, which inconsistently invalidates the run with the other weapon. fun.

PS Boardroom Jimmy, I know you said it was bad, but...I think it may be bad in ways you hadn't considered. I...I don't know what I'm going to do to deal with this, now...

As far as the Up Your Arsenal challenges go, I think the generally accepted answer for them is this. Part 1 is win the shooting contest with any pistol, Part 2 with any light machine gun and Part 3 is with either the shotgun or a sniper rifle. You can use the Ultramax for Part 2 but there's also a separate challenge for winning the contest with that gun specifically.

And as far as that other challenge is concerned, I can think of one thing that could ruin a run at it. But really, it's just a terrible challenge all around for oh so many reasons.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Good thing you don't bother with these challenges because this level has one of the bigger bullshit challenges. In the end of level screen, there's a challenge called Research & Hidings. To do this, you need to subdue (not kill) and hide the bodies of 7 scientists all without being seen in that third area (the tall silo sort of place). Now, there are only 4 hiding boxes for bodies in that entire area so good luck with all that.

Also, if you believe the Hitman wiki, this level is impossible to complete with Silent Assassin/Suit Only without being spotted. The reason why is those test subjects near that long bridge. Despite the fact that their eyes are closed on their models, they can still spot you and ruin an unseen run. And there's no way around them either so you're screwed. Hitman: Absolution everybody.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Ok, so I mentioned earlier on about the biggest middle finger challenge in the game and this level is where it is. At the end of the level, you may have noticed the multi-part challenge called Angel of Death. This challenge is utterly ridiculous and I wanna take the time to apologize to Discendo Vox for putting him through that challenge. At least you had the good sense to abandon it though. So what is this challenge that makes it so terrible?

Well, Part 1 is simply take out 2 of the Saints at the same time. You use the gas station in the second area to take care of that. Part 3, you have to kill 7 of the Saints with the fiber wire. Notice that I didn't say all 7 because you can easily cheese that one by hiding in that freezer at the beginning of the level, killing the first one, restarting the checkpoint and repeating 6 more times. Those 2 aren't the issue here.

No, the problem is Part 2 of this challenge. For Angel of Death Part 2, you have to kill EVERY. SINGLE. ENEMY. on the map silently, without being seen and without a body being discovered. I don't remember the exact number off hand but I think it's somewhere between 50 to 60 enemies in total. Oh, and you can't do it piecemeal either by doing one section at a time. No, you have to do it in one continuous run of the entire level. You make it to the cornfield and have a body discovered? gently caress you, back to the beginning. You have an unfortunate power surge that wipes out your progress on a run? gently caress you, back to the beginning. You wanna be a good guy and rescue the two civilians being held hostage by the grunts? They'll immediately see you and ruin a run so gently caress you, back to the beginning.

Recently, I was rewatching Artix's LP of the FF13 trilogy and they talk about a trophy in the first game where you have to get one of every weapon and accessory in the game and how if you do this legit, the game has beaten you and nothing you do afterwards will ever change that. This challenge is that same thing. If you do it, you've lost. There's nothing else to say at that point. And if you had even a shred of goodwill towards this game, this challenge will make you lose it.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Discendo Vox posted:

Why I am not 100%ing Hitman: Absolution
under construction, I need to get a drink.

I can't wait to see how you deconstruct this challenge. And I never knew about that glitch that prevents it from unlocking but I think that might only be on the PC version. I played Absolution on the PS3 so I may have avoided it but feel free to make your own jokes about playing Absolution and actually doing this challenge in the first place. I don't remember how many attempts it took me to actually get this challenge but I actually pulled it off. It's all the problems of the stealth genre rolled into one challenge with the trial and error game play, poorly indicated vision cones and unpredictable AI that conspires to ruin a run at this challenge. Anyway, there are videos on Youtube showing off this challenge if anyone wants to see just what we're dealing with.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Man, this level is probably my favorite concept for a level in the entire game. Infiltrating a courthouse/jail combo to reach a target is a good idea and I wouldn't mind seeing the current team take another crack at this type of level. Having said that, I think it should be pretty obvious why they failed in the execution of the concept. But that seems to be par for the course for Absolution. Maybe the next Hitman game will have a better take on something like this. At least there's nothing as ridiculous as Angel of Death part 2 in this one but the multi part challenge is fairly obtuse in it's own way.

So the multi part challenge for this one is called Judgement Day. Naturally, it revolves around the Judge outfit. For part 1, you have to subdue one of the court ushers (the guys in the tan vests) in the upstairs library and hide the body. For part 2, you have to do this with 3 court ushers. They don't have to come from the library but you have to do it unseen. It's tedious but not that bad. Part 3 is the fun one and also the easiest. All you have to do is kill the tin foil hat man with the gavel as the judge. What makes this easy is that once you disrupt the trial (and you can do that from the judge's office as well as the balcony), the tin foil hat man will go into the bathroom where you can take him out. This level also has a challenge called One Man Riot where you have to kill 10 enemies with that glass shiv from the evidence room unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
There actually is someone in the Blackwater lobby you can use to bypass the retinal scanner. In fact, it's one of the challenges for that level. The only female NPC on that map is the one you're looking for there. She's the head of security or something like that. The penthouse section of Blackwater has one of the few (maybe the only) instance of a disguise that's actually useful. Those bodyguards that follow Layla around the map are wearing full face cover and 47 will, for once, take it as part of the disguise. And it totally works too. No dodging every other guard with instinct. The penthouse is one of the few areas where you have some decent amount of flexibility in how you approach it. There's quite a few different ways to take out Layla and some of them feel like prototypes for 2016.

Now, as far as Countdown goes, there's really not much to say about it. There are a couple of different things you can do but there's not much difference. For example, there's a tower or crane thing near the helipad that you can shoot over and it'll fall on some of those mines and destroy them. Why this doesn't alert Dexter is beyond me but whatever. You were wondering about the Take 'Em Down challenge too. Part 1 is just get 3 headshots (obviously not a problem here), part 2 was indeed to dump 6 bodies unseen. Part 3 is just to kill 10 enemies unseen. At least that's what I've found about them but who knows if those are the actual requirements.

Good news though, just one level to go.