Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

Credit to forums user Edmond Dantes for the rad header!

HITMAN™ is the sixth entry in IO Interactive's Hitman franchise, a Stealth/Action series that puts players in the shoes of Agent 47, the world's best hitman. The games are beloved for being open sandboxes that offer a lot of freedom for accomplishing goals - should you kill a man by poisoning his spaghetti? Or maybe it'd be better to push him off a cliff? Why not let him take a swing at an explosive golf ball? Or better yet, why not throw the explosive golf ball at him? The possibilities are endless! The series has been a bit uneven in quality through its history; the first game was extremely rough, but the next three iterations improved on the formula tremendously. The fifth game, Absolution, opted to drop the sandbox stealth gameplay for linear stealth more akin to Metal Gear or Splinter Cell, which made it a very divisive title and almost killed the franchise. Thankfully, IOI learned from their mistakes and this game brought the series back to what it's best known for.

While this game is fantastic, it launched to some controversy because the publisher, Square Enix, decided to make this game an episodic title and release the game's levels piecemeal as DLC - players would buy the base game, which came with the prologue and the first level for a meager $15, and then they were free to buy the rest of the 5 levels as DLC as they came out for $10 a pop. People who didn't want to bother with that model could just buy the whole thing up front for $60 and get all the levels as they came out. A lot of people accused Square Enix of trying to milk their consumers and release unfinished content, but I think that's the wrong way of looking at it. The game was incomplete as the DLC was being released, sure, but there's not a whole lot of continuity between this game's levels, so it's not like breaking up the experience really hurts it all that much. Additionally, IOI can get live feedback about their released levels and use that to polish upcoming ones to make them even better, and because each level is separate DLC, players can skip levels that they don't want. The episodic model doesn't work for every title, but turning this game into a budget title was an incredibly smart move with a lot of pros.

This will be an informative LP where I try to cover as much of the game as is reasonable. I'm joined by my usual co-commentary buddy Jobbo_Fett. The base game has so much content before we even get into things like Escalations and Contracts mode, so I'm going to stick to the main episodes. I'll try to keep to releasing episodes once a week, but that is subject to change depending on how busy I get. Each episode will be broken up into at least two parts; the first video will show a simple way of completing the level, while the rest of the videos for each episode will be devoted to showing off more advanced kill opportunities and other easter eggs. I'll do my best to cover Elusive Targets, which are unique targets that are only available for a week or so on a specific level that allow players only one chance to take them out, but because of the nature of how they work, some ET videos may come out long before we've even gotten to the level they're on. I could wait until we start the episode that each ET is on, but I also want to demo each one as they go live for the people playing along.

HITMAN™ is not a very story heavy game, so it'd be a bit silly to have a spoiler policy in place for that, but I will ask that you refrain from discussing episodes that have not yet been covered, so don't talk about how rad the final map is when we're only on the first one, for example. Once we've started an episode, feel free to discuss anything from it, though if I haven't shown something off, like easter eggs or kill opportunities, then tag your spoilers.

00 - Prologue

01 - Paris
The Showstopper

Bonus

Elusive Targets

My Run

My Run
Jobbo_Fett's Run

My Run

My Run

My Run

02 - Sapienza
The World of Tomorrow

Elusive Targets

My Run

My Run

My Run

My Run

My Run...............Intel Run

03 - Marrakesh
A Gilded Cage

Elusive Targets

My Run

My Run

04 - Bangkok
Club 27

05 - Colorado
Freedom Fighters

Elusive Targets

06 - Hokkaido
Situs Invertus

Console Catch Up Streams
8/13 - Paris and Sapienza

Supplementary Material
Discendo Vox goes into detail about how bad the pooch was screwed with Absolution. He then followed it up with an incredibly misguided promotional app for Absolution. :stare:
Discendo Vox gives us a fantastic write-up about the history of the franchise up until this game.
Dinictus writes about how the marketing for HITMAN™ was so, sooo much better than Absolution's with a cool collaboration with Realm Pictures!

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

"Mister" 47? That's Agent 47 to you, friend! :colbert:

I love this game so much. I normally don't like games where your primary mode of interacting with the world is murder but this one makes it into less Shooty McShootmans and more a really cool puzzle game where the solution just happens to be murder. Its fascinating to me watching different people play this game and do each mission in wildly different ways.

Also I love how lovely and fake everything looks in the training mission, its such a nice little touch.

He's not an agent yet, he hasn't become part of the ICA. :colbert:

double nine posted:

Hitman is slightly less annoying on a controller since the analogue stick allows you to match pace with npc speed. It's a bit annoying since if you push the stick too far you'll be faster than the npc and if you are too timid you are too slow. Keyboard doesn't allow for that amount of granularity.

Question argate: did you manage to reset the achievements/kill challenges and if so how?

I did not, so I'll make mention of the challenges as we hit them. The one surefire way I can think of to start fresh is to start on a new profile, so you'd want to do a steam family share or w/e to reset progress.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

The ikea set instructions are on a table on the bottom deck of the ship, in pretty much the one location you didn't search.

Holy poo poo thank you so much.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

To add on that, the game itself would've probably be better recieved if it weren't a Hitman game. It looks like plays alright, but it missed the mark on what people like about this series by a long shot, from what I understand.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lulti posted:

knocking innocents out non-lethally and unseen deducted points, making the whole thing give off a bad taste.

...This is on top of needing to KO people to recharge your instinct meter? That's an incredibly weird and poor design decision and it makes me appreciate 2016's meter-free instinct mode even more.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

Just a quick question: is discussing previous Hitman games' plot kosher, or does it fall under the no spoilers mandate?

Go for it. This series is incredibly light with plot anyway and the events of, say, Contracts, won't really say anything about this game. If you want to talk about how 47's the most successful of Dr. Ort-Meyer's assassin test tube babies, be my guest.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

:stare:

I had no idea how deep this rabbithole went!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox, I'm gonna link to some of your posts in the OP because they're really good with conveying how this game is a decisive step back in the right direction after Absolution.

Fish Noise posted:

If ChaosArgate permits, this seems like really morbidly fascinating supplemental material to go with the LP? Maybe compare it against 2016's promo materials like the Gary vs Gary thing.

I would 100% be down for that whenever this LP gets to the relevant points!

Also it's not HITMAN™ related, but Faerie Fortune, Artix and I are doing something special over on my Beam channel around noon EST, so come join us if you can make time!

https://beam.pro/chaosargate

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Huh, this game's on sale on Steam right now for half off until March 21, so definitely consider picking it up if you're interested in playing!

Discendo Vox posted:

Hitman History

And that's going right in the OP, great write-up! It's very enlightening!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

There's an excellent video from Mark Brown as part of his Game Maker's Toolkit series about this game and that topic to explain how repetition helps you become a better hitman because you're learning the ins and outs of each map. I highly recommend it, but maybe not for a little while since it's mostly about the second episode and we haven't even started episode 1 yet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're gonna step over to a map we're not going to cover for quite a while because there's an Elusive Target! Basically, with Elusive Targets, you get one shot at them, you can't save during a run and they're only active for a week or so, after which, they're lost forever. You can restart mid-run though, as long as you have not completed any objectives. Completing any ET for the first time on a map gets you a bonus costume based on the default costume of that map and completing ETs with Silent Assassin ratings, which means only killing the target, not getting spotted trespassing or leaving any evidence of any kind, earns you costumes too.

This ET takes place in Colorado, which is the penultimate map of the first season, so if you're not familiar with the game and are just interested in watching the LP as it updates, maybe save this one for later. There are two objectives: (1) eliminate the target and (2) steal a ledger. This ET is a little tricky because he will flee at the first hint of trouble and if he's killed first, his guards will eventually move to protect the ledger. I also really don't like Colorado, for reasons we'll get to when the LP gets to Colorado, so my solution is very :effort:.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You can do that with any car on any map and it'll count as an accident kill so long as no one was killed with the thing you're using to set off the car. Wait, hang on, I'm pretty sure anyone killed with a propane tank/fire extinguisher explosion is written off as an accident kill.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, this one was a bit rushed because it's a combination of the fact that the LP hasn't actually hit this map yet and that I just really, really do not like this map in general.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

berryjon posted:

Man, you really like defaulting to the "Poison, then Drown" method of taking out your target, don't you? I suppose that's because it seems simple and available at all times, it means its a fallback method should the player screw everything else up.

It's a really simple kill method! I'm gonna show some other opportunities the further we go into each level, but the idea I had was to use the first video of any level to show off the relevant parts of the level and demonstrate a simple kill method for the targets. Next week, we'll get into some of the other fun things we can do in Paris.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Edit: Oops there's no actual cut/uncut commentary for this video, I'll have to fix that later when I get home.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 29, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He cuts it off in Absolution and I think its referenced in-game to help him disguise himself a little mlre.

I think he doesn't actually go through with it though? He just has a bandage for most of Absolution covering where the tattoo is because he still cut the back of his head.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Keep an eye on this thread, whenever this new expansion hits I'll be the first to cover it.

https://twitter.com/iointeractive/status/848215134564741120

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Holy poo poo, that ruled! I've only watched one of them so far but now I kinda wanna give it a go! When I get a little more free time, I'm definitely gonna check out more!

Discendo Vox posted:

I encourage you to post a certain music video and soundcloud page in advance of a later mission. Heck, posting trailers for future mission eps might generally be a cool way to tease things, given how well they're done...

You know, I hadn't actually considered that, but thanks for the reminder! I definitely will once the time comes!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Alright, we're done with The Showstopper, so this week we're gonna start the next mission, World of Tomorrow, so after Discendo Vox's suggestion, I thought it'd be fun to link the mission's launch trailer here!

Sapienza: World of Tomorrow

Also, just for fun, here's a cool 360 degree video IO put out for Paris. Click and drag the video if you're watching on PC or just move your phone/tablet if you're on mobile! There's one for Sapienza too, but we'll get to that one next week, once we've actually seen the level in the LP.

Paris 360

And for the OP, this is the closest I can find to a trailer for Paris that's along the same lines as the Sapienza one.
Paris: The Showstopper

There's also an Elusive Target going on right now for Paris, I have my run recorded, I just need to edit the audio and upload, so look forward to that either tonight or tomorrow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I mentioned as much in my run, but I don't really care either since ETs are one-shot only.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

By the way, if anyone else wants to record runs for this thread, by all means! I just ask that you keep your commentary, if you choose to provide any, limited to whatever has already been covered by the LP, sans for any equipment you might want to bring with you.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Don't worry, we're gonna have a lot of fun with Sapienza for the next couple of weeks. I wanted to get the mundane out of the way early, hence this rat poison heavy run.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I wish I could be half as creative as Kotti. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

White Coke posted:

I meant creative deaths for 47 when he screws up.

I've accidentally thrown the golf ball next to a propane tank when I meant to set it down once, does that count? :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

We're done with World of Tomorrow now, so I thought it'd be a good time to post the trailer for Marrakesh now.

A Gilded Cage

Also, just because we finished Sapienza's mission doesn't mean we're done with the town! The latest ET went up just last Friday and it takes place on another version of Sapienza used for the bonus mission The Icon. I don't know when I'll get around to doing the bonus missions, since I haven't actually touched them yet, but I'm not gonna hold out on doing ETs. Because this is also the first time I've ever touched the map for The Icon, I decided I'd do a live recording for grabbing intel on the map and target along with the usual post-commentary version. Fair warning, the live run's over 40 min of unedited footage.

My Run...............Intel Run

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You're locked in once you start clearing objectives. Before that though, you're free to reset to your heart's content. Just don't die, because that's a failure state.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

In hindsight I should've expected something like this after they murdered Sleeping Dogs and United Front Games. :( Pouring one out for Hitman and hoping they're going to implement a proper offline mode.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/862683669345038338

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

They killed UFG, but the IP itself is still kinda alive, since there's a movie in the works?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

From the Hitman megathread in Games.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/05/11/new-thief-game-and-movie-adaptation-in-the-works.aspx

:sigh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That's the best case scenario, along with someone investing into IO so that they can finish season 2. Needless to say, I hope it's actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/863400813120544768