Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

I know nothing of Hitman: Absolution- what made it so bad?

IO decided that instead of making a stealth game, they wanted an action adventure like Uncharted, with explosions and cool looking set pieces. Naturally the fans had a problem with that, because that was not what previous Hitman games were about.

Also the story sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Basically, Absolution wasn't necessarily a bad game, but it was a bad Hitman game. Luckily IO learned from their mistake because HITMAN™ is pretty drat good.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

I wonder if IOI's big takeaway from Absolution was like "Let's make the comedy intentional this time."

Oh just you wait.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

gently caress yeah Paris. It's probably my favourite level, and it's a great way to show off the strengths of Hitman Trademark.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

IMJack posted:

Any way to kill Novikov and make it look like Decker did it?

Unfortunately, there is no way to frame anyone for anything in this game. Would be really cool if you could, but I think it would become way too complicated programmingwise.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

It is pretty great how many things you can interact with simply by shooting them.

It's kind of an adventure game... "Use Gun with _______"

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I'm pretty sure Sandberg talking to his daughter isn't an easter egg. I've heard him do a couple of times now, and every time he was standing by the window, so it's probably just a part of his routine.

Also the cameraman disguise is great for the consulate, regardless of opportunity or not.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

"Better safe than sorry" he says...

...while leaving a loaded gun behind on the floor.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Samovar posted:

Never understood the appeal of these modern day songs with lyrics like: 'arglbrglbrlargh'. Must resonate with the kids somehow.

I thought it was a pretty good rendition of Ride the Lightning tbh...

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

The contrast between Absolution and 2016 is pretty stark.

In absolution they went for the story, and got it wrong in many ways.

In 2016 they went for the game play and got it right in many ways.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh... it gets worse.

I know, I've played it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

By itself it's just a mediocre stealth/action game.

But IO put the Hitman name on it, and that opened it up to the expectations of the existing fan base. And that made it worse. Because it is a bad Hitman game. Story is garbage and overshadows the gameplay way too much. The levels are linear and offers little in the way of experimentation or replay. And the stealth mechanics are unintuitive and relies on the instinct to smooth out the roughness.

Had IO simply made a "bald shootman goes on rampage in a gritty and lovely world" it would probably have been received better. But they didn't, so it wasn't.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Chinatown was probably a vertical slice for absolution. At least that would explain why it is one of the better levels in the game, and why there is a little bit of everything in it.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Oh man, this mission. I really like the idea behind it, but the execution is loving bad.

I like the subversion of the typical assassination, where no one sees anything, and instead have everyone see it, but they don't care or believe something bad is happening.
After all, wrestling is all fake anyway, right? And of course 47 breaks kayfabe and removes his mask.

And the funny thing is, a similar mission is in Blood Money, Curtains Down, where you can literally take an actors place and shoot a target on stage in front of a crowd and get away with it.

But no, absolution has to have the lovely gritty stupid of a grindhouse movie.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Oooohhhh, attack of the saints, my favorite mission in absolution. And I'm using the term "favorite" quite wrongly here, because this is probably the dumbest mission in the whole game. Such a stark contrast to Hitman 2016, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The fireworks display in Paris wasn't nearly as good :colbert:

Ok fine you win this round :argh: