Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I feel like I have a very different relationship with Absolution than most fans do. That's not to say I don't understand the complaints, I totally do and I'm really liking this critical retrospective play through of the game.

As much as people deride Absolution for being more linear and "cinematic" the marketing totally worked in the exactly the way I think they intended it. I had finished with Uncharted 3 and as far as I knew that franchise was over. I was looking for the next big cinematic action game and that trailer with 47 narrowly escaping explosions and sneaking through the library promised exactly that.

Leading up to the release I played the through the last three games, and with the exception of Silent Assassin, really enjoyed them. Unlike most fans who had played these games so many times over, I wasn't waiting half a decade for the next Hitman game to come out. So when Absolution finally did come out and it was nothing like the previous iterations, it really didn't bother me.

I thought of it as basically Hitman: the Movie Game. It took all the themes of the previous games and brought them into the forefront in the form of a more linear narrative focused game. It is admittedly a very juvenile and mean spirited story, but one that's style and I appreciated nonetheless. And in the same way you would get from a film adaptation, sometimes they would even have segments that felt like a real Hitman game wedged between more story focused bits.

If I ever wanted classic Hitman I always had the option of going back to Contracts or Blood Money. They were still fairly new to me, and I was sure there was plenty in them I hadn't discovered yet. Absolution just served as a nice little side piece to the series for me.

And now that we have Hitman: Season One, in the same way the Batman Begins allowed people to look back at Batman and Robin from a more distanced, critical persepctive, I think we are able to look at Absolution in a similar way, knowing this isn't the fate for the rest of the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I always assumed Lenny was meant to have some form of cerebral palsy. Neither interpretation makes things any better though.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

The showers might be to remove any contaminants from the hazmat suits.