Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Edit: I accidentally posted this as a new thread instead of a reply in the Cat FAQ Megathread. My apologies.

I've had my three cats for about 7 months now, and they're about 10 months old. They've always been good with using the litter box (though we had some accidents where I think one would torment another one "mid-business," leading them to run out of the box and finish pooping on the floor). But sometimes I come home to poopy spots on the floor where one has obviously rubbed his or her butt along the carpet. I've bought some of the enzymatic carpet spray that's supposed to help with urine and feces odor, and it seems to do the trick. Once Henry had poop all down his back legs and up his tail, so I'm assuming something didn't agree with him that night and he had a bit of diarrhea. I cleaned him up and cleaned up after him with no problem.

However, I have noticed all of them on occasion will fail to clean their butts properly. Like I did with Henry, I usually solve that with a warm, damp washcloth and/or a baby wipe (though maybe I shouldn't use those?). And since they're all eager to show off their butts at me during the day I can usually glance to see how they're doing back there.

But George is difficult. He's bigger than the others, though I think this was due to his overeating of the dry food I left out when they were younger. He's dropped a bit of weight since I changed to just feeding them wet food three times a day. I noticed some poop on the carpet today when I came home, and inspected each of them. George seemed to be the culprit, so I got a washcloth and hoisted him up on the counter to clean his butt. And his little butthole closes up so I can't clean it.

It always seems more closed than the others' are (I can't believe I'm describing cat butts in such detail right now). I don't know if that's due to his weight or just his natural body shape. I think he was always like this, even when he was a kitten.

Anyway, when I stop cleaning him and he relaxes, I can see (and smell) that he's still poopy back there. But I can't clean it without him closing up shop again. He doesn't claw me or even really fight me, except for scrambling to try to get away.

I'd like to find a way to just encourage them all to clean their butts better, or figure out how to clean up after them better. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread