Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

quote:

Stuart McClure, CEO of Cylance, an Irvine, California, cyber security firm, said that one of the most significant disclosures shows how CIA hackers cover their tracks by leaving electronic trails suggesting they are from Russia, China and Iran rather than the United States.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cia-wikileaks-idUSKBN16E2AD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
wikileaks: all bad things done by russia were in fact false flags done by the cia

trumpists: boo! we hate the cia! russia is insanely good!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

death to the cia

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hey op cute post but just so you know this kind of kremlin tomfoolery would be taken much more sincerely in d&d, try agitating there maybe

just trying to help you out, good day!! or as yr people say, cyka blyat!!!!!!

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
anyways gently caress julian assange he is a fascist apologist

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Corny posted:

anyways gently caress julian assange he is a fascist apologist

don't gently caress assange, that's how we got into this mess

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

hhhahhahhahaha

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I come back from climbing walls for hours and this is the first thread on the list :eng99:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

is there actually anything to this story or is it just a bunch of horseshit that makes conspiracy theorists sequel with delight

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

maybe now democrats can focus on healthcare and issues that the american people care about

and maybe a monkey will fly out of my butt

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My mom bought a samsung smart tv last year now I have to explain how American intelligence watches her naked

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
defund the cia

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Plutonis posted:

My mom bought a samsung smart tv last year now I have to explain how American intelligence watches her naked

i'd be pretty upset if the cia had in-person physical access to my mom's tv

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

help i'm trying to link 'cia false flag' to 'russia hack' to 'wikileaks' to 'dncmails' and im running out of red string, please contribute to my podcast's patreon so i can figure this out

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

i'd be pretty upset if the cia had in-person physical access to my mom's tv

Fallen Hamprince posted:

help i'm trying to link 'cia false flag' to 'russia hack' to 'wikileaks' to 'dncmails' and im running out of red string, please contribute to my podcast's patreon so i can figure this out

stfu

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Defund the Federal Government

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No one gave a poo poo about the Snowden leaks after a year so I guess the dystopian future where every information we disclose online is shared by corporations and intelligence agencies to advertise and monitor us will still pass on :cheers:

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Even the Intercept called this out as the US just repurposing old code by other actors, not some nefarious 4D chess subterfuge.

We literally vacillate between the CIA is understaffed and underfunded to implying that the CIA is behind all the Russian-linked hacking attacks.

https://theintercept.com/2017/03/08/wikileaks-files-show-the-cia-repurposing-foreign-hacking-code-to-save-time-not-to-frame-russia/

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

We literally vacillate between the CIA is understaffed and underfunded

lol

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

https://www.google.com/amp/www.tech...se-protocol.htm

Nobody wants to work for the CIA when they could make so much more working in the private sector.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I really wish we would finally give our military and intelligence agencies the full funding that they desperately need

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I really wish we would finally give our military and intelligence agencies the full funding that they desperately need

I guess underfunded is the wrong word. The CIA is understaffed because of stringent employee requirements and relatively low pay to do high stress work.

In that situation, idea that they would be taking other people's code and repurposing it isn't as far-fetched as you might think.

Ferdinand the Bull has issued a correction as of 14:54 on Mar 9, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the CIA hires in a shitload of "private" entireprises that work exclusively for the CIA

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

Even the Intercept called this out as the US just repurposing old code by other actors, not some nefarious 4D chess subterfuge.

We literally vacillate between the CIA is understaffed and underfunded to implying that the CIA is behind all the Russian-linked hacking attacks.

https://theintercept.com/2017/03/08/wikileaks-files-show-the-cia-repurposing-foreign-hacking-code-to-save-time-not-to-frame-russia/

Welcome to the world of espionage in the 21st century. Even back in the Cold War, if something happened that had all of the telltale signs of one party, there was always the possibility of another party doing it, just dressed up to look like the first or the first doing it in such a way to give credibility to the idea that the second committing a false flag. (I dunno if this ever actually happened as I'm not a Cold War history buff/historian)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Prav posted:

the CIA hires in a shitload of "private" entireprises that work exclusively for the CIA

yeah and then they leak poo poo to wikileaks lol

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I wish the Russians hadn't mind controlled Hillary to be so insanely bad.

alternatively

I wish the CIA pretending to be the Russians hadn't mind controlled Hillary to be so insanely bad.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Prav posted:

this

and

Jose posted:

yeah and then they leak poo poo to wikileaks lol

this.

the privitization of military and intelligence functions has been hilarious

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the cia is also a great place to go and work for the enterprising narco trafficker

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
As an actual leftist, I do not support the CIA, or Trump. Reflexively supporting the same spy agency that has over thrown democratically elected governments, assassinated foreign heads, terrorizes the middle east with drone strikes, etc isn't something I'm willing to do just because Trump is upset with them. Eventually, the man is going to get them under his own control and turn these tools around on his own opponents.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

this is funny but even if you take the wikileaks interpretation rather than the intercept's, the attempted implication that the CIA false-flag hacked the DNC to frame Russia for electoral interference seems a little far-fetched.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arri posted:

As an actual leftist, I

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Peel posted:

this is funny but even if you take the wikileaks interpretation rather than the intercept's, the attempted implication that the CIA false-flag hacked the DNC to frame Russia for electoral interference seems a little far-fetched.

They were probably thinking Jeb! would actually win the primaries and give them a shitload of money like Dubya and his dad

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

CIA bad

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arri posted:

As an actual leftist, I do not support the CIA, or Trump. Reflexively supporting the same spy agency that has over thrown democratically elected governments, assassinated foreign heads, terrorizes the middle east with drone strikes, etc isn't something I'm willing to do just because Trump is upset with them. Eventually, the man is going to get them under his own control and turn these tools around on his own opponents.

sorry that's off message, no matter how mealy-mouthed the "drumpf bad, he no good" is you are expected to instantly throw your full support behind whoever says it, history be damned.

see: dubya.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
i for one am shocked that wikileaks would suddenly release a statement critical of the us when there is a poo poo load of focus on russian hacking right now

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

this

and

this.

the privitization of military and intelligence functions has been hilarious

OK, this makes sense.

CIA wants more money cuz they're greedy, and loosened hiring requirements (ie: engineers can smoke the devil weed and have previous hacking convictions) so they can directly hire competent engineers.
How it is now, the CIA throws money to contracting companies that have employees that don't mind leaking the crazy illegal bulljive that the CIA has them making, and the contracting companies don't mind plagiarizing other hackers' code.

Still ends up with an incompetent CIA, just an incompetent CIA made more incompetent by bureaucracy and outdated hiring methods.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the cia isnt underfunded they make most of their money importing cocaine from south america

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

is there actually anything to this story or is it just a bunch of horseshit that makes conspiracy theorists sequel with delight

its on reuters, not alexjones

i for one am shocked at the suggestion that the cia aren't actually supergeniuses and constantly leave trails everywhere, especially ones involving potential future war targets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Duscat posted:

wikileaks: all bad things done by russia were in fact false flags done by the cia

trumpists: boo! we hate the cia! russia is insanely good!

Gringostar posted:

i for one am shocked that wikileaks would suddenly release a statement critical of the us when there is a poo poo load of focus on russian hacking right now

Lol

• Locked thread