Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

So basically you're saying that after Trump and Russia openly colluded to attack the Democratic party to get a Republican into office Hillary reacted? Very professional journalism you linked, btw! One actual article from the NY times and two poo poo rags that editorialized make believe and ignored the actual things they were quoting ~_~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

wow

she called out putin for pushing a far right agenda across the globe

what an idiot when there is no proof of that

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Reminder that Clinton launched the 'reset' with Russia that Putin destroyed after the debacle that was the Libya intervention. Plucky Russia...the eternal victim. No wonder they get along great with the GOP base.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Brother Friendship posted:

So basically you're saying that after Trump and Russia openly colluded to attack the Democratic party to get a Republican into office Hillary reacted? Very professional journalism you linked, btw! One actual article from the NY times and two poo poo rags that editorialized make believe and ignored the actual things they were quoting ~_~

like I said, it was a quick google, those are far from the only sources

you have to be hilariously apologetic to pretend hillary and obama (by association hillary) weren't antagonizing russia, country with relations with two whistleblowers and whistleblowing groups that we have just learned also had leaked cia tools

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

you have to be hilariously apologetic to pretend hillary and obama (by association hillary) weren't antagonizing russia, country with relations with two whistleblowers and whistleblowing groups that we have just learned also had leaked cia tools

:qq:

Feel free to link them!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Neurolimal posted:

didnt snowden steal those though?

like in addition to everything else he stole a bunch of tools

also, :lol: at totally ignoring georga and crimea

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Gringostar posted:

didnt snowden steal those though?

like in addition to everything else he stole a bunch of tools

also, :lol: at totally ignoring georga and crimea

Russia literally trying to buy Ukraine to keep it its influence and then getting mad when the entire country broke into revolt and demanded a West-ward shift is still hilarious. Then they responded by respecting Ukraine's "sovereignty" by invading it and funding an insurrection against the democratically elected government.

:qq: Plucky Russia can't get a break :qq:

Maybe if Putin bombs some more UN aid convoys the Russian people can at last find peace.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Remember it's the CIA that is to blame.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Destruction to all the Russias

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
gas

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
maybe

maybe

cia and putin are both bad????

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
let's all remember that trump is one of the most publicly heinous figures in American history

the best that the Dems could dig up against him was Alicia Machado

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Friendship posted:

Russia literally trying to buy Ukraine to keep it its influence and then getting mad when the entire country broke into revolt and demanded a West-ward shift is still hilarious. Then they responded by respecting Ukraine's "sovereignty" by invading it and funding an insurrection against the democratically elected government.

:qq: Plucky Russia can't get a break :qq:

Maybe if Putin bombs some more UN aid convoys the Russian people can at last find peace.

its cool when china, israel or saudi arabia does it tho bro gently caress that let putin cook at least he an ally in the fight against globalism. he put a warrant out for goerge soros that alone proves hes a force for good.

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurolimal posted:

you dont remember that debate question?

Plz don't be cagey, nobody likes that

Oh you meant PUTIN not Russia

Yeah Putin's a bag of poo poo and should be strongly encouraged to cut it out but I didn't see a "We'll bomb Moscow until it's a crater big enough for an inland sea" campaign promise in there, can you help me find the story where Hill said she would start W.W. 3

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No, thread is funny now

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

comedyblissoption posted:

the scope of alleged russian actions to influence the election is so loving tiny and miniscule that any breath wasted on it just feels like sour grapes for losing or trying to distract from the real reasons the democrats lost

the only thing that would be a big deal is if there's any evidence that the trump campaign attempted a quid pro quo with russia, but there's literally zero evidence for this allegation

and this is why the Russia stuff would have completely blown over by now if not for the fact that Trump advisors keep turning up with undisclosed or suspicious ties with Russia

if it were just Dem hot air, even the media would have dropped it after a couple of months. but the Trump campaign keeps throwing blood in the water with a) the revelation that they've been going out of their way to hide or deny contacts with the Russians that actually happened, and b) the Trump campaign admitting enough fault to have people stepping down or recusing themselves over it

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

and this is why the Russia stuff would have completely blown over by now if not for the fact that Trump advisors keep turning up with undisclosed or suspicious ties with Russia

if it were just Dem hot air, even the media would have dropped it after a couple of months. but the Trump campaign keeps throwing blood in the water with a) the revelation that they've been going out of their way to hide or deny contacts with the Russians that actually happened, and b) the Trump campaign admitting enough fault to have people stepping down or recusing themselves over it

nah man, the dems are just bad and there is absolutely nothing to the gently caress load of connections trump, his businesses, his campaign, and his administration has to russia and putin

move along people, nothing to see here

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Like I understand why the russia govt. did what they did from a realpolitik standpoint. it's a sensible maneuver, and it took everyone by surprise since we all assumed the CIA/NSA/other American institutions were vastly superior to foriegn cyber influence.

but just because it was a rational chess move by our geopolitical rival doesn't mean that we shouldn't address it, try and undo its damage, and make sure it doesn't happen again

hi there's like a million ways to twist this narrative and it just tastes awful when they all lead to "we must defeat putin for stealing a hillary executive from us"

like what evidence do you have? about whatever? any of it with evidence? I'm not saying confirmed just like something beyond media conjecture...

Russian politicians / diplomats talked to trump and memembers of his executive - true, but banal

anythign else?

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
oh but flynn yeah he hosed up tho for real

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think the current POTUS and his executive are taking advantage of a sudden warming of relations with a despot (putain) to further their strategic goals and deepen personal pockets and its bad tho

but not really any different from anything since time immemorial and none of it has to do with clinton or her failure of a party

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
russia is a bad country with terrible behavior.

the usa is also a bad country with terrible behavior.

dnc emails were released using incredibly basic and rudimentary methods that showed how unlikeable the organization itself was, which may, in turn, possibly have had an impact on an election between the two least popular candidates in history.

i guess my question is what do all these sudden anti-russian hawks want to do about it?

like, what is the solution to "making sure it doesn't happen again?"

sanctions? don't we already have sanctions on russia? they own the energy market in europe, i doubt there is much we can unilaterally do to impair them. try to get others to join us? first of all why would they want to, second how do you get energy dependent nations to rebel against their provider, third do you really think its a good idea to try to gently caress with russia's income like that? that's grounds for serious escalation and incredibly dangerous for everyone involved and would do considerably more to endanger the world.

make sure the dnc has basic cyber security? cool, that private organization should have had better security. we agree, but that doesn't much seem like something the government has to implement.

increase the powers of the security state to monitor all internet traffic so we can trace all the haxxx? is that a thing? is that a thing we want? i was under the impression that most people wanted to reduce the security state.

retaliate against russia? well, that's just stupid.

so seriously, what response is there to "maybe some possibly russian backed hackers released some emails that may have possibly had some sort of effect on the election that we certainly cannot directly track?"

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Mar 12, 2017

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

RaySmuckles posted:

russia is a bad country with terrible behavior.

the usa is also a bad country with terrible behavior.

dnc emails were released using incredibly basic and rudimentary methods that showed how unlikeable the organization itself was, which may, in turn, possibly have had an impact on an election between the two least popular candidates in history.

i guess my question is what do all these sudden anti-russian hawks want to do about it?

like, what is the solution to "making sure it doesn't happen again?"

sanctions? don't we already have sanctions on russia? they own the energy market in europe, i doubt there is much we can unilaterally do to impair them. try to get others to join us? first of all why would they want to, second how do you get energy dependent nations to rebel against their provider, third do you really think its a good idea to try to gently caress with russia's income like that? that's grounds for serious escalation and incredibly dangerous for everyone involved and would do considerably more to endanger the world.

make sure the dnc has basic cyber security? cool, that private organization should have had better security. we agree, but that doesn't much seem like something the government has to implement.

increase the powers of the security state to monitor all internet traffic so we can trace all the haxxx? is that a thing? is that a thing we want? i was under the impression that most people wanted to reduce the security state.

retaliate against russia? well, that's just stupid.

so seriously, what response is there to "maybe some possibly russian backed hackers released some emails that may have possibly had some sort of effect on the election that we certainly cannot directly track?"

globalthermalnuclearwar :v:

but seriously how about we accept wikileaks as what it is which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the fsb run by a rapist white supremacist and not trust whatever they have to say the instant they say it, and call putin out for being what he is which is a far right oligarch dictator that is pro-fascism and pro-global warming and not trust him either

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
im gonna tell it like it is

*fart sounds*

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gringostar posted:

but seriously how about we accept wikileaks as what it is which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the fsb run by a rapist white supremacist and not trust whatever they have to say the instant they say it, and call putin out for being what he is which is a far right oligarch dictator that is pro-fascism and pro-global warming and not trust him either

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Gringostar posted:

wikileaks is already widely disparaged by the media. sure, be weary of what they release, but if what they release is true, say some damning emails from the dnc, then its literally impossible to ignore true information because "oh hey that source can sometimes be hosed up." the contents of the email release is what is considered damning, not the drop or who dropped it. its foolish to think people would see something like that and say "i'm not going to read these or be upset by their contents because i don't like who released them." leaks happen and are a part of the digital age.

what does "call out putin" even mean? have the president go on live tv and say "putin is bad. he is a far right oligarch etc." that's loving suicide for international relations. the point is to avoid another cold war. plus, once you've directed the anger of the us citizenry against a foreign power you're going to have to actually do something. its a democracy where security and force are treated higher than anything. once you hype up the violent military loving populace, then what?

like what is the endgame with "calling out putin?" how does that not lead to potentially catastrophic outcomes? how does it ever defuse? is the hope that putin will apologize and promise to leave us alone, because lol if that's your plan. is the plan to just heighten tension with russia higher and higher daring them to make another mistake with the only outlet left to us being military intervention?

it all just seems stupid and shortsighted. people are upset that the democrats loving suck and they're looking for any reason to shift that blame elsewhere

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
hillary clinton is doo doo and i'm glad she lost. gently caress the cia, too.

re: the hysterics over mike flynn talking to the russians. so what? did everyone forget about this? dems and neolibs are such spineless hypocrites

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclear-summit-obama-medvedev-idUSBRE82P0JI20120326

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

RaySmuckles posted:

wikileaks is already widely disparaged by the media. sure, be weary of what they release, but if what they release is true, say some damning emails from the dnc, then its literally impossible to ignore true information because "oh hey that source can sometimes be hosed up." the contents of the email release is what is considered damning, not the drop or who dropped it. its foolish to think people would see something like that and say "i'm not going to read these or be upset by their contents because i don't like who released them." leaks happen and are a part of the digital age.

what does "call out putin" even mean? have the president go on live tv and say "putin is bad. he is a far right oligarch etc." that's loving suicide for international relations. the point is to avoid another cold war. plus, once you've directed the anger of the us citizenry against a foreign power you're going to have to actually do something. its a democracy where security and force are treated higher than anything. once you hype up the violent military loving populace, then what?

like what is the endgame with "calling out putin?" how does that not lead to potentially catastrophic outcomes? how does it ever defuse? is the hope that putin will apologize and promise to leave us alone, because lol if that's your plan. is the plan to just heighten tension with russia higher and higher daring them to make another mistake with the only outlet left to us being military intervention?

it all just seems stupid and shortsighted. people are upset that the democrats loving suck and they're looking for any reason to shift that blame elsewhere

no one likes being hosed with and i'm sure a detente after some low level saber rattling and some counter hacking and other such fuckery will happen. I mean poo poo, I was only like 10 when the cold war ended and :lol: if you think poo poo will ever get as bad as it was back then.

reagan posted:

re: the hysterics over mike flynn talking to the russians. so what? did everyone forget about this? dems and neolibs are such spineless hypocrites

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclear-summit-obama-medvedev-idUSBRE82P0JI20120326

so it will probably end like this in which the sitting president talks about a diplomatic solution after things do heat up a bit

which by the way is entirely loving different from a general helping a forign power influence an election... but if you want to be a loving idiot and push that angle i guess knock yourself out

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, definitely not about ratings at all.

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did Donnie release his tax returns yet, just curious

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Gringostar posted:

Trump bad, Putin bad, Russia bad, CIA bad, Wikileaks bad, DNC bad, Hillary bad.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Not a Step posted:

Trump bad, Putin bad, Russia bad, CIA bad, Wikileaks bad, DNC bad, Hillary bad.

:discourse:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

reagan posted:

I don't think candidate Obama was undermining the president there

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

"Russia was just trying to defend itself against an overwhelming imperial power which had dedicated itself to destroying the Russian people"

http://www.dw.com/en/russian-hackers-use-dutch-polls-as-practice/a-37850898

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I don't think a single human said what's in your quote

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Nobody said that Russia is good or innocent, only that their response to aggressive rhetoric was benign and that any other country with Russia's resources threatened would do as much if not more. Which is to say, Russia is not an omnipotent monster that will soon devour America if we dont retaliate soon.

sexpot
Nov 12, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Neurolimal posted:

Russia...threatened

Daily reminder that this is all about Putin not Russia and you still haven't provided the "Let's declare a unilateral war on them there Russkies" transcript

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

sexpot posted:

Daily reminder that this is all about Putin not Russia and you still haven't provided the "Let's declare a unilateral war on them there Russkies" transcript

Do they need a literal "lets formally declare war on russia" statement to feel concerned?

Most people aren't going to make the distinction between loving with a countries leader and loving with a country

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sexpot posted:

Is there a real political difference between Putin and Russia though? The man has spent decades concentrating political power in his hands.

And since when has the US ever needed a unilateral declaration of war to go meddle in someone else's sovereign politics in order to get a regime more friendly to them? The US has a long history of loving with other nations, we're just surprised that someone tried to gently caress with us for once. Not that Russia actually accomplished anything with their meddling, but its still alarming that they even tried. And of course the Trump administration's ongoing ties are worrying.

Basically the US is in the uncomfortable position of feeling 1/100th the outrage of basically every other nation we've ever interacted with over some foreign power trying to influence sovereign elections.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the actual point is that painting the hacks as a response solely to rhetoric from American politicians is stupid and completely wrong when you notice they're doing the exact same thing to most of Europe and have been doing so for ten years

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/09/russia-engineered-election-hacks-europe/96216556/

quote:

Russia's alleged use of computer hacking to interfere with the U.S. presidential election fits a pattern of similar incidents across Europe for at least a decade.

Cyberattacks in Ukraine, Bulgaria, Estonia, Germany, France and Austria that investigators attributed to suspected Russian hackers appeared aimed at influencing election results, sowing discord and undermining faith in public institutions that included government agencies, the media and elected officials.

In 2007, Putin told the Munich Security Conference that the United States’ effort to spread its form of democracy was an insidious threat to Russia and other nations and that his government would push back. Russian sabotage of Western computer systems started that same year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fullhouse posted:

the actual point is that painting the hacks as a response solely to rhetoric from American politicians is stupid and completely wrong when you notice they're doing the exact same thing to most of Europe and have been doing so for ten years

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/01/09/russia-engineered-election-hacks-europe/96216556/

Yeah. Both Russia and the US interfere in the sovereign affairs of foreign nations on a daily basis, and now we're super surprised that Russia is targeting the US (even though the US already targets Russia). Its a shocking loss of global power that now other countries think they can gently caress with the US the way the US casually fucks with other countries. Influencing foreign elections is for the US only!

Nevermind that Russia didn't really accomplish anything with the hacks, the real outrage is the sudden feeling of being on the same tier as all those other pleb nations we push around

• Locked thread