Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Logan staring Hugh Jackman and Picard from star trek is really very good. theres spoilers here but I'm too lazy to do the tag and also the rules say I don't have to and you probably know whats gonna happen already anways.

The emotional switcheroo from Picard talking to Logan about family and being happy to his brutal murder is painful as gently caress. The film uses super hero antics to create super despair and it works really well. theres absolutely no camp or cheese or schlock. It does a good job of handling a more grounded and real version of comic book reality without swinging across into comically over dramatic and dark like all those terrible DC movies. wolverine suffers and we suffer with him. he dies saving the last of his family and that good death is the best he could hope for.

Picard and Jackman are gr8 in this and set a high bar for 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hmm, I might go see it then, thanks.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed it a lot because even though there was a lot of action it wasn't like the last five superhero movies where everyone shares equal screen time showing off their sick magic powers and the whole thing is loud and long and incomprehensible.

Also there's a big fat metaphor to be had with the gratuitous swearing and violence in a movie about the star of fantasy morality play movies for children where they talk in detail about the difference between reality and comic books.

It's a pretty good movie.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Im not gonna watch a MArvel movie. gently caress you, OP.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I don't know why I keep going to see comic book movies, but I do.

This one was really enjoyable. I don't know if it was the first comic book movie to do this stuff, but here's the stuff I liked:

- Didn't care about what happened in the ~*franchise*~ and seemingly just told it's own story
- It made the three leads (Hugh, Patrick, and Baby Wolverine) into human beings that had normal conversations AND did superhero stuff.
- The film dealt with what comic books and comic book characters do to us including how there are different kinds of fans: those who idolize your violence, those who idolize what you do with that violence.
- It was pleasurable to watch!

This and more awaits you in Logan.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Putting the comic books in the movie really surprised me. I know they did that in deadpool as a 4th-wall-breaking thing. It being in this more grounded movie took me aback and it was the thing I kept wondering about why they would include it in the movie. And then, there's that scene in the hotel where Logan discovers them and gets pissed about it. Several times he tries to explain how it's fake, it didn't happen, somebody else made this up. And ultimately, it didn't matter to the Mexican nurse or the little girl or anyone else really because they knew it was fictional but that it offered an example of what they could do, they could be.

And that's the point of comic books, mythical stories, right? They show us what we could be and we get to decide if we want to work towards that or not. In the movie they have the reaver guy with the robot arm who talks about how he's a fan of wolverine because of the hyperviolence and his strength. The nurse is a fan of wolverine because he uses his strength to help others. But Logan doesn't see that in himself and he doesn't get to choose what other people see in him.

:goonsay:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

discount cathouse posted:

This

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
u guys are missing out

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
You should, it's very good and unlike any other X-Men or Marvel movie in a good way. It's basically Shane but with Wolverine.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Also there's a scene where they literally watch Shane in case you weren't catching the metaphor.

Plus there are literal white and black hats.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ScrubLeague posted:

Also there's a scene where they literally watch Shane in case you weren't catching the metaphor.

Lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

Sounds like the Citizen Kane of the Marvel Cinematic Univetse

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know this is a tangent but Shane is a phenomenally boring movie

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I liked when the psychokinetic kid did a loving Mortal Kombat fatality at one mook

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the worst people in this movie drive the biggest pickups.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
It wos good movie

except for the clone, jesus that was dumb

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 10, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

It wos good movie

except for the clone, jesus that was dumb

I liked that though

It made Logan even less human, and his kid too (who was too human still by being a reactive thinking child), but in a coldly clinical way instead of an animal way, they were nothing but iterations on a stolen blueprints for their idea of a mass produced and controlled super killer, it made the 'animal' kind of aspect to the whole Wolverine identity more humane in irony

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just had a random guy comment on my Steam profile and his nick was La La Logan.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
An ad informed me that Logan is very good and should be considered a nominee for Best Picture next year so I might see it now, who knows

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Agreed. I hadn't even seen the trailer, went in with zero expectations (because X-Men films, lol) and was blown the gently caress away. Actually if you ignore most of the terrible, nonsense films of this franchise you can make a pretty solid trilogy starring Patrick Steward and Hugh Jackman: X-Men, X2, Logan.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I heard people gushing about it and went to go see it as an actual movie. Don't think it held up under those circumstances. The reavers were too schlocky and the Shane bits were way overdone. Also there was a definite sense of "Ooooh, we're making Xavier say gently caress! Heee Heee!"

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
i liked it a lot but anyone saying it's oscar worthy or whatever has lost their dang mind

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
plus it didn't have the tank tread guy, aka the best reaver

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
It was p. funny when he got hit by a car

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Would be a fantastic movie if it were 20 to 30 minutes shorter.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Plenty of good gibs and dialogue. Recognized The Albino's voice from a video game.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Yobgoblin posted:

Plenty of good gibs and dialogue. Recognized The Albino's voice from a video game.

Was it Portal 2.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Recently watched that movie. I enjoyed it quite a lot. But it wasn't something I will fondly remember in a decade.

But am I mistaken, or did it lack a Stand Lee Cameo? That's weird.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I just realized this is Les Miserables with a lot more violence and no singing.

Joking aside, this movie was fantastic. Wonder how long it'll take for them to convince Jackman to come back for a cameo (and for how much money).

Edit: VVV at first I thought his power was super speed because it took them way too long to catch him. I just loved the idea that he would be like Quicksilver if he put down the donuts.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 19, 2017

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
The lil' fat black kid was a mutant and he super power was making electric shocks and I loled when I saw it

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Professor X and Wolverine doing swears was good. And it has bad guys getting hacked to bits by not one, not two, but three wolverines, well worth the price of admission. Also the Deadpool teaser before it was pretty funny. Although using the Superman theme will always make me laugh at least a bit.

It was a good x mans film but it still felt very much like a comic book film. I like that sort of thing, so I really liked it. It had a good go at trying to be a bit more thinky at least.

Oh, and the jokes were pretty good. I liked when they cut his beard to make him look like comics Wolverine.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I liked when Hugh Jackman screamed "shut the gently caress up!" with full sincerity at an 8 year old girl.

Seriously that whole exchange between the two of them was great.

It's weird that a movie in this franchise turned out so drat good. Deadpool too, but in a very different way. I hope Fox doesn't gently caress it up with another movie like Origins (they will).

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Saw it. Good movie. Told everyone to go see it. Deadpool trailer was funny. Was excited to see the blade runner trailer on a big screen.
My friend, who's super into marvel, said the last few seconds were a middle finger to the audience, but he didn't elaborate as to why.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i read a review that mentioned this was the 10th film in the series and i was genuinely shocked

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Blowgan.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I Love Loosies posted:

Would be a fantastic movie if it were 20 to 30 minutes shorter.

That's like every single movie nowadays.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was just OK

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

It was just OK

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

discount cathouse posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
Logan had a lot on his shoulders. It was a cross he increasingly couldn't bear, couldn't rely on help shouldering it, but he gained no peace at all when relieved from that burden. :saddowns:

I nearly cried. Great movie. Glad I decided against Power Rangers.

• Locked thread