Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I don't know why I keep going to see comic book movies, but I do.

This one was really enjoyable. I don't know if it was the first comic book movie to do this stuff, but here's the stuff I liked:

- Didn't care about what happened in the ~*franchise*~ and seemingly just told it's own story
- It made the three leads (Hugh, Patrick, and Baby Wolverine) into human beings that had normal conversations AND did superhero stuff.
- The film dealt with what comic books and comic book characters do to us including how there are different kinds of fans: those who idolize your violence, those who idolize what you do with that violence.
- It was pleasurable to watch!

This and more awaits you in Logan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Putting the comic books in the movie really surprised me. I know they did that in deadpool as a 4th-wall-breaking thing. It being in this more grounded movie took me aback and it was the thing I kept wondering about why they would include it in the movie. And then, there's that scene in the hotel where Logan discovers them and gets pissed about it. Several times he tries to explain how it's fake, it didn't happen, somebody else made this up. And ultimately, it didn't matter to the Mexican nurse or the little girl or anyone else really because they knew it was fictional but that it offered an example of what they could do, they could be.

And that's the point of comic books, mythical stories, right? They show us what we could be and we get to decide if we want to work towards that or not. In the movie they have the reaver guy with the robot arm who talks about how he's a fan of wolverine because of the hyperviolence and his strength. The nurse is a fan of wolverine because he uses his strength to help others. But Logan doesn't see that in himself and he doesn't get to choose what other people see in him.

:goonsay:

• Locked thread