Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
I was gonna respond with some technical details, but you should really speak with an accountant. I'll give you some general thoughts, but please meet with at least one accountant. Most will do an initial consult for free in hopes of scoring your business when you form a company.

Are you good with keeping records? The make the most of 1099 you're going to want to take deductions, and to take deductions you need to keep great records. I know you mention office space, but think about things you use at work, many of them can be deducted. If you're one of those people who can't keep track of that stuff, W2 might be better for you.

Forming your own company is a great move and opens you up to other opportunities. Chances are you'll start attracting new clients and things will just roll from there. Having a big client to bankroll you thru the early times is a nice bonus.

To be honest, tho, the IRS is the one who determines which you are. This is an extremely important read: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/independent-contractor-self-employed-or-employee

Here's a good article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2013/11/21/do-you-want-a-1099-or-a-w-2/#3cc23fd17463

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Find an attorney. They always have time and will have solid advice for your, as well.

And chances are the attorney knows an accountant, and can pull a favor for you and get you a little time (or at least, a brief email conversation to nail down any details the attorney wasn't clear on)

• Locked thread