Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What's the best way to dispute things off? Should I just start the process of writing letters? Is it better to get a lawyer involved? are there credit repair companies that are worth anything?

Also, there's just tons of small value medical debt that's paid off. Is there any mitigation to remove medical debt or does it just sit there like everything else?

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, I'm not an authority or professional, blah blah don't sue me.

Stay away from "credit repair" companies.

A lot of medical debt is ignored / low weighted on the models used by financial institutions. It's impossible to predict what your score will actually be when pulled by any random company because you have no idea what model they'll be using. The scores you can generally get yourself give you an idea, but it's rough.

If the medical debt is sub $500 dollars you have a pretty good chance of getting it wiped. Frame your disputes as best you can the first time.

You don't need to write letters, you can initiate disputes online now. You also get a full copy of your credit report when doing so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Elephanthead posted:

I think pay for delete is the fast credit score fix if you are unsuccessful in the regular dispute. Otherwise 7 years they just drop off. (This is internet knowledge so who knows if it works).

Credit card utilization as mentioned also is a big part of the new score. Ask your credit cards to raise the limits. They will do this with a phone call. (Usually) Then you have to wait 3 months and call again to get more limits.

They're technically not supposed to do that, but it can happen.

Raising credit limit usually requires a hard pull which will drop your score a tad, it's usually still better than high utilization every month though.

• Locked thread