Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I dunno, game doesn't feel that different from before. Better balance and a few new features, but nothing mind blowing.

Honestly the most noticeable improvement is the UI. Some of the QOL improvements they added (like shift click between containers and sorting items) are really overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
There's going to be an AMA tomorrow, figured you guys would like to know :^)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/5z6mk7/albion_online_ama_wednesday_15th_of_march/

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

There's going to be an AMA tomorrow, figured you guys would like to know :^)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/5z6mk7/albion_online_ama_wednesday_15th_of_march/

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
I like how the website has pictures and news about updates live! and buy now! when they're still wiping progress, right?

Grogsy
Feb 8, 2013

Keegers posted:

Only thing I want to test is the new pve carebear option vs open world pve. Hoping the reward is like 10-20% that of open world.

The instanced dungeons are OP. Worse than open world by a few percent (10-20% less fame) but when you combine total safety plus always full mobs plus rewards at the end that are even better in certain cases than craftable gear...

From instanced dungeons, to mounts that don't despawn when you gather and can be quickly remounted, to "gathering gear".

This game feels like it was designed by people who got ganked one to many times. They liked the concept, they just thought they could remove the risk, that which gives meaning, and keep the content.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Grogsy posted:

This game feels like it was designed by people who got ganked one to many times.

this is a very good description

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Grogsy posted:

The instanced dungeons are OP. Worse than open world by a few percent (10-20% less fame) but when you combine total safety plus always full mobs plus rewards at the end that are even better in certain cases than craftable gear...

From instanced dungeons, to mounts that don't despawn when you gather and can be quickly remounted, to "gathering gear".

This game feels like it was designed by people who got ganked one to many times. They liked the concept, they just thought they could remove the risk, that which gives meaning, and keep the content.

Yeah instances dungeons are a weird design decision for a game whose core gameplay is open world pvp.

Gathering mounts and gear are all good in my eyes though. You need players that would rather gather and pve than pvp. I agree with you that the quickmount is too easy of a getaway, weird that they didn't change the timer for hostiles in a specific radius.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Did they remove the absolutely loving terrible previous tier requirement to craft the next tier? I hated that garbage. It essentially forced you to backtrack or spend silver on lower tier resources to make higher tier stuff. Bad design.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
The map is really bad, it looked interesting at first but it really has no routes where traffic is common, which means predicting where people are going to be is borderline impossible. You basically have to either get lucky out in the open world, camp the city entrances that no one uses because they don't have to, or go to an event to find people.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

PsychicToaster posted:

Did they remove the absolutely loving terrible previous tier requirement to craft the next tier? I hated that garbage. It essentially forced you to backtrack or spend silver on lower tier resources to make higher tier stuff. Bad design.

no

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

At this stage I feel like getting a refund and buying Crowfall instead, unless that has its own seperate issues

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It does, the main one being that it isn't even a game yet

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
Are they still doing that 5v5 pvp, where if you dont get picked to fight all you can do is read about who won the next day or something?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Pruney posted:

At this stage I feel like getting a refund and buying Crowfall instead, unless that has its own seperate issues

They don't refund if you've used the key.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Well that's wank. I'd rather wait for this anyway if Crowfall is even further away

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Saw this game spike on twitch.tv, thought I'd pick a streamer and give it a look.

Some guy was chopping wood. In between the chopping of wood some monster would ineffectually interrupt him. When he chopped the wood it said "+3 birch logs... PREMIUM: +2 birch logs".

I think I've seen everything I need to see.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hey how about the time a goon got banned from the game for pointing out a game admin didnt know the mechanics to the game he was working for. That was fun.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Is there a way to change your login and contact info so I can offload my legendary founder crap?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Fog Tripper posted:

Is there a way to change your login and contact info so I can offload my legendary founder crap?

No.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
AMA is almost live. Go tell them that their game is bad and how to fix it.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I asked:

quote:

Do you have plans to scale back on the amount of "safe content"? As a full loot PvP MMO the instanced pve dungeon provides a far better reward vs risk than actually going out into the open world. As well as gatherers having easy escape options. I understand the need for fair and balanced game of both PvP vs pve but the scale is leaning towards helping pve players progress without ever having to go into the open world which makes a void of content for PvP.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Alexander DeLarge posted:

AMA is almost live. Go tell them that their game is bad and how to fix it.

I remember when people with advanced math degrees told them how their math was wrong and they ignored that, so sure... i'm sure they'll listen to the fine :pedo: of reddit and fix the game so that it no longer has any problems.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

2DCAT posted:

I remember when people with advanced math degrees told them how their math was wrong and they ignored that, so sure... i'm sure they'll listen to the fine :pedo: of reddit and fix the game so that it no longer has any problems.

lol... OP's name is even proto_bear ...must be some type of new reddit :pedo: code

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

2DCAT posted:

lol... OP's name is even proto_bear ...must be some type of new reddit :pedo: code

triple post for eonwe

forge
Feb 26, 2006
2DCAT they did actually add poo poo that I posted in RT into the game. So I have to eat my words to some degree. They added in tunnels and caves so that you can defend territories and restrict flow. So Red Army bought the farm plot next to the black territory in a true dick move. They attacked the town on day 1, so we countered and attacked the farm.

We then restricted entry to the entire zone via camping the tunnel and the zone line, as there are only two entrances. Then his masterpiece happened.
https://albiononline.com/en/killboard/kill/34005
https://albiononline.com/en/killboard/kill/32917
https://albiononline.com/en/killboard/kill/32971

It's still the same 5v5 gvg but there can be ways to externally effluence it now. So we won the farm attack because they had no gear except for what they were wearing when they entered the zone a 2nd time.

There are some serious quality of life improvements. What will determine if the game is worth playing in 3 months will be effectively how easy it is to avoid GvG on some level. All the weapons and armor are tuned pretty closed. There is nothing which currently jumps out as the hands down OP god choices. There is still good meta, but it's not like before where you show up with a arcane and a raven and faceroll.

https://albiononline.com/en/killboard/battles/34003

Basically the best way to have fun in this game is to associate with a guild who likes GvG and be a PvP arm of them with support. I've found a way to do that currently and it's working out well so far despite any negatives the game has.

For anyone on the edge I might suggest waiting until release unless you just want to mess around. It's likely that they will resolve some of the few remaining issues. Also the map has been interested and so far a pretty decent change. I thought it was going to be a total poo poo show but it's not been so words eaten there also.

Crafting has been more intense than before with the requirements. But really what this has shown is that not all the tops guild have it together. For instance some of them showed up to that GvG in the same gear we had. Due to rarity everyone isn't running around in what was the old .3 and .4 gear like it's falling out the sky. It's actually very rare to have that. Make the base gear like T4 is retard simple, but if you want to make the .1 - .3 you need to put in more effort.

One of the best changes is that you can craft up the tree and if you wanted to make one T5 cloth for example, you can transmute 6 T4 into 1 T5 at no silver cost. So this is a easy way to up the tree without huge issues as long as it's base tier.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I voted this thread 5 to match the number of people that can play to ensure territory control.

Sludge_McBain
Jul 24, 2012

Whisky not Whiskey
What Forge said. This game has its issues. The developers are pretty terrible but they have somehow created a game with some playable content. No it's not perfect but what game is.

If you want to gank, you can. If you want to team play, you can. If you want to carebear pve (me), you can.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I tried playing this but it looks like a ten year old flash game

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

I voted this thread 5 to match the number of people that can play to ensure territory control.

i vote 5 for how good it is out of 100

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Like the other guys have said, if you have the fortitude to play a player driven economy/full loot drop style game you'll enjoy this. I went full economy this beta: I haven't left Ft. Sterling since I ran into it 5 minutes after launch. Up to 10 years of Premium so far. Stalls own.

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010
Played for a few hours. Beneath the polish of the new maps, the excellent UI changes, and the changes to the armor/weapon system lie the same issues the game has always had. Meaningless PVE, a grind for the sake of being a grind for crafting/gathering, and even copy and pasted map zones. I actually saw an entire chunk of a map copied and pasted into itself. The expeditions only left me feeling like I had wasted 20 minutes for a mediocre reward and the question of "why did I just do that?".

Maybe my attention span for MMOs is gone, but this poo poo is still boring as hell. I also suspect their stupid requirements to craft a higher tier needing lower tier resources is simply their way of trying to artificially lengthen the game or its a cash shop ploy(my money is on both). Either buy silver with gold so you don't have to backtrack and grind out hundreds of lower tier resources by purchasing them instead, or go gently caress yourself because the soul-crushing grind is here to stay apparently. It doesn't make any sense to me and really seems to push progression backward if you're trying to craft without spending too much silver. Needing to go fetch T4, T3, and T2 to make T5 is just awful. If you're not buying silver, then enjoy even more hours of investing time into grinding silver or hoping lower tier items sell well. It's a trainwreck.

With all the feigned enthusiasm of a millennial being dragged to geriatric Bingo night by his racist grandpa, I'll keep waiting for this game to not suck.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
drat Toaster, you alright man?

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Suxpool posted:

drat Toaster, you alright man?

Just an honest critique. Nothing more. It's not as though I'm bubbling over with rage, I've just got a rather acerbic disposition when it comes to giving negative commentary.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I agree with him. Despite all the improvements (and there have been a lot) I couldn't build up the motivation to log back in on day 3. It's the same old game at its core and grinding out skeletals has lost its appeal.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

yeah same thing here, running around for 4 hours looking for pvp and only finding half a dozen guys is really lovely.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Should be able to "dark souls" (e: invade) into the no risk dungeons to gank some farmers.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
these no risk dungeons aren't going to be viable after a month or two, they're really not that big of a deal

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Ruggan posted:

I agree with him. Despite all the improvements (and there have been a lot) I couldn't build up the motivation to log back in on day 3. It's the same old game at its core and grinding out skeletals has lost its appeal.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Suxpool posted:

these no risk dungeons aren't going to be viable after a month or two, they're really not that big of a deal

Game's dead after a month or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
thats why the no risk dungeons wont be a problem

• Locked thread