Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm down to just grind mindlessly while watching tv for the sole benefit of bragging about my level 100 campfire skill but knowing there is a wipe kills my desire to keep playing. I'll be back in july though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I just got this game and am enjoying it a lot, it kind of captures that old RuneScape feel graphically and I like that the markets are independent. I joined a crafting guild and am enjoying listening to podcasts and chilling out while making armor and weapons. I like the simple mechanics and kind of minimalist design they went for.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

honk

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
I am an idiot with more money than brain cells and therefore am probably going to buy this game despite knowing very little about it.. I like pvp and crafting and havent played an MMO in forever so I would like to scratch that particular itch. How dumb am I?

Also, is there any organized goon guild or has it already imploded?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The bank for this none existent game has already been stolen.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am an idiot with more money than brain cells and therefore am probably going to buy this game despite knowing very little about it.. I like pvp and crafting and havent played an MMO in forever so I would like to scratch that particular itch. How dumb am I?

Also, is there any organized goon guild or has it already imploded?

There are better free MMOs currently out. An honest opinion during the first beta I enjoyed the game for a month or so then the flaws started to show. The development team has changed the direction of the game multiple times without changing any of the core flaws. They keep releasing the same game with very minor tweaks every 6 months and wondering why people keep quitting a month in.

I haven't played the last few betas, I played a few more after the first they were alright, just more of the same and the burn out was quicker. From the thread it doesn't sound like anything has changed significantly. I'm sure you could enjoy yourself but I think browsing Free to Play under MMO on steam will also scratch the itch without costing you $100.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

pixaal posted:

There are better free MMOs currently out. An honest opinion during the first beta I enjoyed the game for a month or so then the flaws started to show. The development team has changed the direction of the game multiple times without changing any of the core flaws. They keep releasing the same game with very minor tweaks every 6 months and wondering why people keep quitting a month in.

I haven't played the last few betas, I played a few more after the first they were alright, just more of the same and the burn out was quicker. From the thread it doesn't sound like anything has changed significantly. I'm sure you could enjoy yourself but I think browsing Free to Play under MMO on steam will also scratch the itch without costing you $100.

no there aren't

people quit after a week or a month or whenever because they know there's going to be a wipe and people don't feel like grinding out gathering and crafting skills for hours and days on end to have to do it over again a few months later

also because the game has flaws v0v

but there still aren't any better "new" pvp sandbox mmos on the market right now

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think I'd rather reinstall Archeage than play this again. I'm not going to reinstall Archeage.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
let me tell you about the first mmo that made me fall asleep during combat once.

and it was called Albion Online

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

Almost there

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lastgirl posted:

let me tell you about the first mmo that made me fall asleep during combat once.

and it was called Albion Online

I know Albion is bad and all but if any game gets this award I think it has to go to EVE.

It's hard to a top a game that moves a 1:20 ratio of game-time/real-time on purpose.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Chomp8645 posted:

I know Albion is bad and all but if any game gets this award I think it has to go to EVE.

It's hard to a top a game that moves a 1:20 ratio of game-time/real-time on purpose.

Lol.... And how many skeltal have you grinded in Albion?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have never played Albion Online.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chomp8645 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mKk7CMTBJQ&t=14s

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Albion online will make you so bored you'll resub to eve and find it thrilling.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Usenet Magic-User posted:

:eyepop:

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Never actually thought I would find a game with slower combat than eve. At least there are red circles of death to avoid ever now and then.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Is there a way to play eve for free?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

:drat:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

PsychicToaster
Jan 12, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Sit in a cardboard box with "Spaceship" crudely written on the side in Sharpie. You hopefully have these items on hand already, or the "free" part will not be applicable.

PsychicToaster fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 25, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

It has an F2P system now.

Please do not take this as an endorsement of playing EVE.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003
Come join CIR, we kill dudes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDxAt2zvyg

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Grinding fame isn't nearly as bad as those who don't play the game are making it out to be. Just to be clear.. if you didn't go into a T6+ dungeon then you shouldn't post. I've done nearly 50% of all the faming I'll ever have to do with my cloth armor currently in something like 3-4 days. Currently mastery 47. It wasn't hard or difficult and I've killed more people in the dungeon than I have outside it. Grinding Skeletals is not really a thing anymore. Bosses give 4-8k fame a pop. You can kill a boss on average of one per 5 minutes. Mobs give 400-800 fame.

I'm not saying play now.. I'm not saying grinding isn't dumb. I'm just saying it's not like people are making it out to be. Sure some of the issues are still there. IMO play the game on launch July 13th. Never worry about having to grind again .

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Can I just give them money to receive points to spend on things and skip actually "playing" the game?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

forge posted:

Grinding fame isn't nearly as bad as those who don't play the game are making it out to be.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

forge posted:

Grinding fame isn't nearly as bad as those who don't play the game are making it out to be. Just to be clear.. if you didn't go into a T6+ dungeon then you shouldn't post. I've done nearly 50% of all the faming I'll ever have to do with my cloth armor currently in something like 3-4 days. Currently mastery 47. It wasn't hard or difficult and I've killed more people in the dungeon than I have outside it. Grinding Skeletals is not really a thing anymore. Bosses give 4-8k fame a pop. You can kill a boss on average of one per 5 minutes. Mobs give 400-800 fame.

I'm not saying play now.. I'm not saying grinding isn't dumb. I'm just saying it's not like people are making it out to be. Sure some of the issues are still there. IMO play the game on launch July 13th. Never worry about having to grind again .

Play July 2017 Launch or July 2018 Super For Real This Time Launch**?

On a serious note, unless they cut fame grinds by like 80% then it still holds that its a really awful grind, before the real grind of top-tier gear caches begins. Do the new content mobs that I've seen in the videos give more or equal fame? Are they more accessible?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

Play July 2017 Launch or July 2018 Super For Real This Time Launch**?

On a serious note, unless they cut fame grinds by like 80% then it still holds that its a really awful grind, before the real grind of top-tier gear caches begins. Do the new content mobs that I've seen in the videos give more or equal fame? Are they more accessible?

If the skeltal has a green hat, it's plus .05% fame, if it's just a standard red hat skeltal, it's the same as a no-hat skeltal.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Hats are just what was needed to revive this game. Everyone loves hats!

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The biggest problem with the fame grind is you don't get fame for killing people. I know what your going to say "But Badllama! It can be gamed!" Yes and so can many other things but there is plenty of stuff to put in place that could reduce the likelyhood and benefit of "gaming" it. Its just silly that in a game that was initially marketed as come kill mans! You get nothing for killing said mans but their lovely equipment and salt.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
It's really not hard to grind fame at all. We haven't even left the royal continent and forge is most of the way to T7.

The gathering grind is real AF tho... no more hunting glowing resources for fat fame payouts.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

forge posted:

I've done nearly 50% of all the faming I'll ever have to do with my cloth armor currently in something like 3-4 days.

So how many hours a day were you playing during these 3-4 days?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

So how many hours a day were you playing during these 3-4 days?

Obviously 96 hours is the maximum here.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

BadLlama posted:

You get nothing for killing said mans but their lovely equipment and salt.

What else do you need? They even added a killboard with leaderboards to make you e-penis bigger.

The problem with all the goon guilds wasn't the ability to equip the gear, even the casuals sorted that out with no issue. The problems began when folks couldn't replace their pretty new gear after PVP. Most goons were absolute poo poo at making money and in Beta 1 at least the guild "leadership" did absolute piss all to help with regearing players.

Which is a shame really because that guild had a pretty good core of guys to play with, and it attracted a lot of casual players to come out and do poo poo.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

wraith_5_ posted:

What else do you need?

Fame.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

You can be T5 in less than 2 hours into the game if you're playing with a guild. I think you'll be aight not getting that 1337 PVP f4m3.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

wraith_5_ posted:

You can be T5 in less than 2 hours into the game if you're playing with a guild. I think you'll be aight not getting that 1337 PVP f4m3.

No thanks, I don't want to grind a single skeleton.

wraith_5_
Aug 25, 2003

BadLlama posted:

No thanks, I don't want to grind a single skeleton.

I'm sure you, nor most of this thread, have any plans to ever log in again anyway, so no worries there.

For everyone who is actually still playing, what guilds did you end up in? How is the content in Red/Black? I've mostly messed around in the central and western Outlands continents with some red zone roaming for hostiles. Black Zones so far seem to be a good mix of empty, gatherers, and blobs. Red zones have consistent hostiles to farm, and chests/hellgates are pretty good hotspots for PVP. Its not as good as the old Lootbarrows days, but hopefully the new Reputation patch helps bring that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

wraith_5_ posted:

For everyone who is actually still playing, w

*crickets*

• Locked thread