Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Welcome to Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together

TOLUCT is an SRPG, done by the guy who later went on to do Final Fantasy Tactics (ok there was some other people involved too, it wasn't a one man show). In a lot of ways, this game is the precursor to that one.

This version is the PSP remake that came out in gently caress IT CAME OUT IN 2010 HOW IN THE gently caress IS THAT 7 YEARS AGO, that reviewed really really well. By all accounts it's a very good remake with a few loving bizarre decisions factored in that can really ruin the flavour, but if you can tolerate those irritations, you're in for a treat.

loving crafting man

How am I playing this

PPSSPP emulator, which is extremely cool and good. Don't worry, I own the game on the PSN and have the original collectors edition kicking about my house somewhere.

The emulator works near flawlessly, the only irritating thing I've noticed on the default settings is some audio tearing which while annoying, is nothing particularly gamebreaking.

The great thing about playing via emulator is the ability to gently caress with the memory and fix crafting so it's no longer bullshit. Doing so also has the added benefit of removing a particularly bullshit grind.

Why this game?

I really enjoy it. I played through the Chaos route on release and stopped playing, recently got the itch again and couldn't find any decent LPs of it (with the exception of Helmet 10 Warehouse's fantastic, yet abandoned effort that stopped just prior to the end boss of the Chaos route).

How's this going to work

Mostly screenshot, maybe a video sometimes if i'm drunk. I have no schedule I'm going to force myself to keep, but I hope to get at least a map done every few days.

Thankfully some dork's ripped the script so I don't need to manually write that poo poo down by hand.

Thanks dork / gamefaqs!

Spoilers

The story in the game is like 20 years old, but it's surprisingly good? like, don't be a dick. How hard can that be.

hahaha we're hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Index

Chapter 1:

Prologue - Prologue
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3 - Battle
Episode 3 - Story
Episode 3 - Outro & Class Overview

Episode 6 - Quadriga Fortress - Nybeth
Episode 7 - Character update and Story
Episode 8 - Gorborza Plains Battle
Episode 9 - Arkhaiopolis of Rhime - The News, and a Decision

gently caress y'all Episode 1 - Arkhaiopolis of Rhime - Cistina gets crit in the face and dies a lot edition

Episode 9 - Arkhaiopolis of Rhime - Victory
Episode 10 - Story
Episode 11 - Not a Filler Episode
Episode 12 - Xeod Moors Battle
Episode 13 - Balmamusa
Episode 13-1 - Balmamusa Proposition and the end of chapter 1
Episode 14 - Balmamusa Law - End of Chapter 1

Chapter Two (Law) - I Will Fear No Reproach

Episode 15 - Ruins of Balmamusa
Episode 16 - Equipment and Stats update
Episode 16-1 - The Xeod Moors
Episode 17 - The Rhea Boum Aqueduct

gently caress all y'all Episode 2 - Why Crafting Sucks & Ravness forgets about concept of blocking edition.

Episode 18 - We rescue Ravness edition
Episode 19 - Port Acyton Battle & Stats update
Episode 20 - Port Acyton - It all comes crumbling down, crumbling down
Episode 21 - Pirate Fortress Rescue Mission
Episode 22 - The Tynemouth Hill before Home
Episode 23 - A Heroes Welcome
Episode 24 - The Golborza Plains
Episode 25 - Leonar
Episode 26 - The Slaughter of Rhime
Episode 27 - The Fall of Duke Ronwey
Episode 28 - I Will Fear no Reproach

Chapter Three (Law) - Deceiver & Deceived

Episode 29 - Almorica Castle
Episode 30 - State of The Union, the players and the armies
Episode 31 - Training Montage - Madura Drifts
Episode 32 - Brigantys Castle Wall
Episode 33 - The Fall of The House of Diddaro
Episode 34 - This episode brought to you by the letter "gently caress"
Episode 35 - More Snow
Episode 36 - The Siege of Coritanae Keep
Episode 37 - The Siege of Coritanae Ward
Episode 38 - Ravness Recruited
Episode 39 - Murdering Necromancers
Episode 40 - Farewell Catiua
Episode 41 - Reconquering Almorica Castle since 4000BC
Episode 42 - The Last of the Galgastani
Episode 43 - Dragons - The Game, of the Movie, of the Book.
Episode 44 - Retaking the Arkhaiopolis
Episode 45 - The Siege of Phidoch Castle
Episode 46 - Siege of Phidoch Ward and the end of Chapter 3

Chapter 4 - Let us Cling Together

Episode 47 - ~Exposition~
Episode 48 - En Route to the Order
Episode (49? 50? - I don't know anymore) - Revelations
Episode 51 - Exposition, the musical
Episode 52 - Mreuva
Episode 53 - gently caress all y'all episode 3 - Ozma fields an effective opposition
Episode 54 - 700 hours later
Episode 55 - Clearing up loose ends
Episode 56 - Trash clearing
Episode 57 - Barbas at Barnicia
Episode 58 - Catiua
Episode 59 - Princess Catiua
Episode 60 - Clearing our way to the Royal City
Episode 61 - Cleaving a path through the Royal City
Episode 62 - Brantyn
Episode 63 - Fusils Sidequest - Pistolero
Episode 64 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 1 - Unlocking the Temples
Episode 65 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 2 - Water Temple
Episode 66 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 3 - Ice Temple
Episode 67 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 4 - Thunder Temple
Episode 68 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 5 - Earth Temple
Episode 69 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 6(9) - Air (Nice) Temple
Episode 70 - Apocrypha Sidequest Part 7 - Fire Temple
Episode 71 - Endgame, Part One. Ascending the Hanging Gardens
Episode 72 - Endgame, Part Two. Descending to the depths of the Hanging Gardens
Episode 73 - Endgame, Part Three. Dorgalua, Ogre King
Episode 74 - Endgame, Part Four, Epilogues

THE END?

Postgame - CODA & Associated sidequests

Episode 75 - The Wicce, Deneb
Episode 76 - POTD Floors 1 - 25
Episode 77 - CODA Episode 1 The Songstress, Part one.

I BURNED OUT HERE

Waah's Postgame

WORLD - Episode 1
WORLD - Episode 2: A Sea Witch’s Final Song
WORLD - Episode 3: I immediately regret this decision
WORLD - Episode 4: Arrrrrr (You Checking the Warren Report Constantly?)
WORLD - Episode 5: An Arrow in the Bakram
WORLD - Episode 6: For Those Who Went The Full Distance
WORLD - Episode 7 – Broke Down Palace
WORLD - Episode 7.5 – The Mechanics Update
WORLD - Episode 8 – Skeleton Crew
WORLD - Episode 9 – You Know What I Keep In The Linin
WORLD - Episode 10 – Are We There Yet?
WORLD - Episode 11 - Creepiness is Next to Lichiness
WORLD - Episode 12 – Shang Tsung's Favorite Game Mechanic
WORLD - Episode 13 – With Friends Like These
TACTICS OGRE - DOUBLE U TEE EFF EDITION
WORLD - Episode 14 – You Call This Archeology?
WORLD - Episode 15 – Face Me If You Dare
WORLD - Episode 16 – Dillon Lanselot! You Son of a Bitch!
WORLD - Episode 17 – CODA 4 Part 1 -False Flags and Crisis Actors
WORLD - Episode 18 - You Mustn’t Be Afraid to Dream a Little Bigger, Don Quixote
WORLD - Episode 19 - I'm Super, Thanks For Asking!
WORLD - Episode 20 – No, I Just Have Something In Both Eyes
WORLD - Episode 21 - You Have Twenty Seconds To Comply
WORLD – Episode 22 - You Gave Me Power In Your Own God’s Name

(There are no missing episodes 23 & 24, Waah just skips to number 25 for some reason)

WORLD – Episode 25 – Better Grab an Umbrella
WORLD – Episode 26 – I Wish I Knew How to Quit You
WORLD - Episode 27 – Boats Against the Current
WORLD - Episode 28 – I Find Your Lack of Faith Planning Disturbing
WORLD – Episode 29 – Okay! I’m Reloaded (With Items)!
WORLD - Episode 30 – All Good Things Must Come to an End

Class Overviews / Guides

The Warrior
The Archer
The Wizard / Enchantress
The Cleric
The Rune Fencer / Valkyrie
The Knight

Demihuman - Patri / Matriarch
Demihuman - Familiar
Lich - Character Guide
Divine Knight - Character Guide

tithin fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 13, 2023

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prologue

Purveyors of such fine games as... final fantasy. That's about it these days? gently caress if I know what else square's been doing other than pissing money up the wall on "Not Female Cloud we swear's adventures in time travel"

Supposedly there's multiplayer, but I've never encountered another human being who has a psp so I've never gotten to use it.

poo poo's hosed son, what's your name?

Gonna stick with "Tuatha" for the moment just to get the intro done and out of the way and get us into the story. I will go back and start a new game based on the coming results.

Vote for your favourite name - I reserve the right to veto obvious garbage names

Same deal, it's the standard 31/12 calendar dates iirc. Most popular date wins. I have zero idea what this impacts, if anything - I'm pretty sure it's starting stats and little else.

We now have five questions based on The Tarot, again, most popular answer wins.

The choices made, we start to walk our path

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 1: There is Blood on my hands, How Long Till it Lies on my heart?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pncE48l4DA8

Strongly recommend you watch this video just to get an idea of what's going on - the intro is entirely a flashback.

As night falls, and snow falls, the lights in the village dim as people go to sleep

But we've only just met!

Through the village comes storming the Dark Knights Loslorien

They cleave and cut and murder their way through the town, leaving innocents dead, and their children to suffer.

(it takes a special kind of dickhead to murder a mother in front of their child and then walk off and leave the kid on their own to suffer)

A one eyed man, sans raven, sits astride a horse lion goat, I have no idea what the gently caress that thing is, and watches the carnage.

Our hero and heroine have their father dragged away from their church by force.

This ends the flashback and we move back to the present day

: Then it's time. Right, sister?

: Time to end this madness. We can't beat him. You know that.

: What are you saying, Catiua? You'd have us pass up a chance like this?

: They're the ones who've been foolish. And we stand to gain.

: Don't tell me you're scared! If you've lost your taste for blood, I'll do this myself.

: That's enough, Vyce. Let's go.

The party depart the house and reconvene outside

: Lanselot is Captain of the Dark Knights, and they are the source of Bakram power. Kill Lanselot, and you remove one of the pillars supporting them. The Bakram will falter, if only for a moment. Yet that moment will be all the encouragement the Galgastani require. They want Valeria for their own, and they will move to take it.

: The turmoil of the last war has only just settled, and you'd start another?

: Are we Walister so free of turmoil now, Catiua? We are less than vermin in their eyes - insects to be crushed underfoot.

: If war begins anew, we'll die just the same.

: We'll flank them! Tuatha, go round behind.

: Right.

Tuatha moves to the rear of the house, and we get our first Mission objective screen

Don't believe THESE LIES, he's not level 2 - but that doesn't matter for this introduction fight.

Here's our first fight, in the southwest we have five targets, (whos names we'll get to in the next update), and in the northeast, we have Tuatha, Vyce and Catiua.

I'll try to open each map with a top down view of the battlefield to give some perspective of what we're facing. There's a lot of verticality to these maps, so the top down view sometimes doesn't always convey height very well.

We move Vyce to the south east and attack the hawk man, who blocks our attack with ease (0% chance to hit!)

: Who goes there?

: The Resistance?

: I expected a warmer welcome than this! ...Eh? They're children!

: Wait. Do you even know who we are?

: You're Lanselot, and that makes you my enemy!

: Lanselot is my name, true. How is that you know me?

: How could I forget you!? The Dark Knights laid torch to this town only a winter past!

: The Dark Knights...? But we come from the kingdom of New Xenobia to the east.

Apparently forgetting Lanselot is easy to do

: One eye, you say? Would that he lacked my name as well. His reputation, it seems, does me no favors.

[Both groups relax, and tensions die down]

: No marauding knights us, but mercenaries come looking for work.

: I am Lanselot Hamilton, a Holy Knight of Xenobia.

: And I am Canopus, the one they name Wind Caller. Our aged companion here is -

: The Star Seer, Warren Omon, at your service.

: Mirdyn Walhorn, a knight of Xenobia, as it please you.

: Gildas is my name. There now, no need to be frightened.

: I wasn't - I...I don't know what to say.

: Forgive us, good knights. But perhaps this meeting might benefit us both. We have need of strength such as yours.

: Tell us your tale, then. We are strangers in this land, and I would hear more of it.

: I'm Vyce...and it would seem you are not our enemy.

: I am the sibyl Catiua, and this is my brother, Tuatha.

We're presented with our first real choice. This one has absolutely gently caress all impact that I can discern. Later choices will not be so lacking in consequence. For this choice, I simply chose the first one. Future choices of consequence will be the result of a thread vote.

: Already forgotten, though you did give us quite the surprise. Now, do you think we might talk somewhere out of this wretched heat?

: We have just the place. It's not much, but it's secret and it's safe.

The collective adjourn to the church. A short time passes, during which Catiua explains just how badly hosed the Wallister peasantry is.

: So Lodis sent them the Dark Knights Loslorien.

: Loslorien is an order under the direct command of High Priest Sardian, ruler of Lodis. They are said to be the greatest of the sixteen orders, and the high priest's favorite besides. Yet he uses them not in open battle, but in shadows and secrecy. They are his ears, and when there is need of it, his dagger. No knights in shining armor, these. In word and deed, they are as dark as their name.

: And these Dark Knights whatever-you-call-them are backing the Bakram, neh?

: So why are you come to our isles? Does Xenobia think to claim Valeria as her own? Do Lodis and Xenobia mean to bring their wars to our shores!?

: Enough, Vyce.

: We're outlaws. No place waiting for us back home, neh?

: We've come to find work - preferably of the well-paying variety.

: There is nothing to forgive. Your passion does your credit. Tell me, what will you do now?

: For one, we have to get Duke Ronwey out of Almorica.

: Duke Ronwey? He is your leader?

: Not just us. He leads all the Walister. The Galgastani hold him captive in their castle. They plan to execute him, if the rumors are to be believed. We mean to stop them.

: A Duke, is it? If his purse matches his title, there's coin to be had.... A little rescue work might be just the thing. How about it, Lanselot? What say you?

: Look. I'm sorry for not trusting you. It's true that if we're to rescue the duke, we're going to need help.

: Then there's nothing to be gained jabbering on here, neh? To Almorica Castle!

: Wait! The castle is well defended. A fight there would mean our deaths - and yours, Lord Knight. And I...I've seen enough of fighting. Enough of death.

: What about you, Denam? Would you have our aid?

Again, another mislead choice. The Xenobians will accompany you regardless of your choice. For this, I'll go with option 2.

: No. This is our fight. I must decline your offer.

: What if I told you we make for Almorica too - not to aid you, but to fight for our own purpose. The arrow of the nobleman and the arrow of the hunter may find the same hare, though one shoots for sport and the other shoots for his supper. What say we work together, while such cooperation is to our mutual benefit?

: Why not let 'em join us? I've a feeling they'll come whether we want it or not.

: Then it's settled. We will prepare at once.

The Knights and Vyce depart the building, but before Tuatha can depart, Catiua calls to him

*brother :v:

: Why do you not heed me, brother? I know how you must feel, but what of my feelings? I don't want to lose you. Our father is dead - a hard truth, but a truth all the same. In all the world, you are the only one bound to me by blood, brother. I couldn't bear to let you die. Forgive me. I know my words will not sway you. Only promise me.... Promise you'll never leave your sister.

Before Denam can respond, Vyce returns to the building

: What's keeping you? Everyone's ready.

Tuatha departs without responding to Catiua

: I have no love of war. But I'd sooner die on my feet than on my knees.

: You would die on the backs of others.

: You were the one who brought them in here, Catiua!

: Because when I find a tool well-suited for a job, I use it. At least one of us has the sense to recognize an opportunity. You should thank me!

: Feh. Is that how you see people? As tools? I'd have expected more of a sibyl.

[He leaves Catiua alone. She lowers her head and sits in silence.]

: I only want to see an end of death.

It's the first Day of Godscale, the first day of the new year and we are ready to depart for Almorica Castle.

For the first few fights, we'll be fighting with a mostly pre-configured party, but once the game opens up a little, we'll re-work the party because bar two party members, I am open to using what people want.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

A Massive thanks to Bifauxnen for helping me with the talking head sprites, because I am garbage, just garbage with doing almost anything with images that isn't just resizing them

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I love this game. I also hate this game. I also still have the tarot cards.

I can reprise my class overviews from H10, though I suspect I should wait until we have classmarks to start.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tithin posted:

A Massive thanks to Bifauxnen for helping me with the talking head sprites, because I am garbage, just garbage with doing almost anything with images that isn't just resizing them

No worries m8

For the voting, I always used to call Denam Levi :v:

I don't think the birthday means anything either so let's give him December 25 so he always gets screwed over on presents.

Tarot cards:

Fool: take my family
Hermit: secret of victory
Temperance: position and honor
Chariot: ending the conflict
Emperor: abdicate the throne

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
This game looks kind of anime so we should call the main guy busb who was born on 6 September

idk about that tarot stuff busb is a talking plane who is 420 years old so whatever fits with that

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

tithin posted:

We're presented with our first real choice. This one has absolutely gently caress all impact that I can discern. Later choices will not be so lacking in consequence. For this choice, I simply chose the first one. Future choices of consequence will be the result of a thread vote.

Actually, this has an effect: it swaps the sexes of the free batch of generic characters you get a little later (eg. you get a male warrior with one choice, you get a female warrior with the other). No stat differences between the sexes, so it's cosmetic.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

NullBlack posted:

Actually, this has an effect: it swaps the sexes of the free batch of generic characters you get a little later (eg. you get a male warrior with one choice, you get a female warrior with the other). No stat differences between the sexes, so it's cosmetic.

Neat! I didn't know that! :)

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I love this game. I also hate this game. I also still have the tarot cards.

I can reprise my class overviews from H10, though I suspect I should wait until we have classmarks to start.

You're absolutely welcome to.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

SLASHER HAWKE posted:

This game looks kind of anime so we should call the main guy busb who was born on 6 September

idk about that tarot stuff busb is a talking plane who is 420 years old so whatever fits with that

i disagree

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If our buddy's name is Vyse we should be Gawker or Drudge or something

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

the intro video is private

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

the intro video is private

Fixed

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Why do you not heed me, Bro!?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Beloved hearts honor allies, peace.

In honor of that headline I propose we name our hero Perry.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm tempted to name our hero Marche, but I'm not that terrible a person.

This game has a cool story and concept but godawful mechanics.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Sjs00 posted:

Why do you not heed me, Bro!?

Don't heed me, Bro!

For my vote, I'mma go with Ramza.

Why not?

For the questions,

Family
Wealth
Family/Wealth
Vanquishing Foes
Rally Armires

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
Name: Obvious Garbage
B.Day: Feb 28

Questions:
My Friend
Secret of Victory
Family and Fortune
Vanquishing my Foes
and Treat for Peace

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

Name: Obvious Garbage

Too long ;-)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Let us sing now the saga of Dave

No other strong opinions, I just want the main character to be named Dave. :colbert:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Let us sing now the saga of Anime David

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

Let us now sing the saga of Anime David

Also I remember playing this earlier this year up to a couple chapters beyond this, I stopped at that point but I bet all my chips on that Vyce fellow becoming a villain at some point.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I can already see this is going to be spectacular. someone edit shades on catiua tia

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

Let us sing now the saga of Da've

Bad Western fantasy traditions need love too!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Obviously this should be the saga of Mercury because playing an Ogre Battle game is a Queen reference in and of itself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Obviously this should be the saga of Mercury because playing an Ogre Battle game is a Queen reference in and of itself.

As much as I love Freddie, referencing him in Ogre Battle LPs is kind of a thing that happens all the time.

So I suggest we name him May.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

That'll do to get some names in the pot. I'll give it 24 more hours to let people vote for their favourite and then start from there:

Dave
Anidave
Da'Ve
Ramza
Perry
Gawker / Drudge
Busb
Levi
Mercury
May
Bro

megane
Jun 20, 2008

: :smugdog:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

marshmallow creep posted:

As much as I love Freddie, referencing him in Ogre Battle LPs is kind of a thing that happens all the time.

So I suggest we name him May.
I'm down with this.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

just in case anyone wants an avatar later:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, I'm probably gonna set that aside for later, Bro

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
He looks like a Levi to me.

I totally forget how to game these answers so off the top of my head:

Beloved
The Secret of Winning Hearts
My Position and Honour
Ending the Conflict
Treat for Peace

I really truly love this game, but geez I think I really prefer the original leveling system. I also always feel like I need a chart to match names across versions; the original translation's names are embedded just far enough in my brain to be really disorienting. Which is a shame; I genuinely like the PSP translation, Xes everywhere or no.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Oh my god that avatar is OP bro
Votes:
Name: Bro
Friend
Wealth
Family and Fortune
Preserving my Allies
Rally my brosarmies

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 1: Part 2 - The one where Levi got three turns and contributed nothing of value

The world map's pretty straightforward, your little dude stays at the feather, move the feather to the portion of the map you want to go to. Each dot of the map functions as a waypoint, so you'll hit each waypoint in turn to get to where you need.

Your direction is usually pretty limited until right close to the end of the game, so your next goal is usually right in front of you.

Looking briefly over our party menu, we've got 8 units at present, 7 of which are classed as guests, meaning we've got zero control over them right now. We have limited control, in the respect that we can control inventory and talents, but there's zero reason to play with those - yet.

Denam (Warrior)
Vyce (Warrior)
Catiua (Priest)
Lanselot (Paladin)
Warren (Astromancer)
Canopus (Vartan)
Mirdyn & Gildas (White Knight)

I am jumping ahead of myself a little here, but it ties into something as a part of this update - individual units don't explicitly level up. Classes do. Each units stats are based primarily on the class they choose, and the level of that class. Each unit gains a small boost to their core stats when they level up in a class, that carries over when they change to other classes, but those stats do drastically change when you change classes.

At the end of each battle, you get a little fanfare, showing what classes gained exp, and what individual units gained, stat point wise.

Classwise, I want you, for the moment, to forget about the existence of Lanselot, Warren, Mirdyn & Gildas because very shortly they're going to disappear from our rosters for a very long time, and the classes that they possess are in two cases, extreme end game after a bunch of grind, and mid game respectively. Any development they achieve now will be utterly insignificant by the time they return to our roster.

This is the equipment screen, you have 5 slots, Left & Right Hand, Chestpiece, lower body, and jewellery. As you can see, Levi here has a unique piece of equipment, the Azure Necklace, that he's probably going to wear for a good chunk of the game. It gives him a nice boost to his stats. Left and right hand are for weapons, and naturally two handed weapons exist that'll use up both slots.

Skills exist, and are the main backbone of unit conditioning. You can have up to 10 active skills at any time, and these skills are used to level up weapon slots in order to access "Finishing Moves", as well as class specific attacks, defenses, and spellcasts.

An earth mage for example, can learn and use Earth Magic via scroll, but can't use Earth Magic innately. They need the skill to do that. There's skills for damned near everything in the game, and some of them are a royal pain in the dick to level up. Levi currently has no skills equipped because he's level 1 and we've just started.

Half of the upcoming battle is done as a sort of extended tutorial - the only unit we can control in this battle, again, is Levi. There's also a massive disconnect, wherein Catiua and Vyce are talking amongst themselves and to Levi, while Lanselot et all are breaking the fourth wall and talking to you, the player, directly.

Forgive the transition screenshot here, but we've approached Almorica castle and been presented with what's known as a "Stronghold Battle"

Stronghold battles are usually where the big story events occur, you're storming a castle and taking it for the resistance, and so it's to be expected that you'll have a gruelling slugfest to get in there and take the important people inside.

The exterior of the castle is being held by a Mercenary troop, who leaked the news of Duke Ronwey being executed as a trap for the rebels.

Lanselot just flat out demolishing the fourth wall here.

: What's more, you can issue these commands in any order you see fit. Think on your choices well.

: Powerful magic requires greater amounts of MP, so think ahead before casting a spell.

FINALLY, after literally everyone else on the map takes a turn, we're allowed to move.

Here's the map layout.

Warren for the moment is, functionally, a mage with access only to Dark and Thunder Magic, and given his level, it's low level magic only. He casts "Paralytic Wave" on the nearest enemy.

Paralytic wave is a Cross Shaped AoE spell that has the chance to grant the "Stunned" affliction. The name is misleading, what it does is give a chance that when the unit attempts to take any action except moving, that they'll fumble, and lose their turn.

: You must assign a unit the appropriate Command Skill before he can use the spells he's learned.

Which is pretty much what I said before. Only with fewer words.

: Some Classmarks can be found for sale in shops. But not all are to be had so easily.

:Probably goes with saying, but if you change a unit to a class you've been neglecting, more likely than not it will be level one.

: What's more, if you take on someone of a class you've never encountered, you'll have to work him up one level at a time.

Yeah, they're not joking about that. The game has a lot of grind to it just to keep classes up to speed, and that ignores the "skills" part of the grind too. Still the later classes are well worth grinding out for the power boost they bring stats wise.

Mirdyn moves up the field and approaches the enemy soldier from the right, hacking off 44hp out of his 111.

: A rat can smell a trap, but not our rebels, eh? High time we were rid of your lot.

: A trap. And we walked right into it.

: Trap or no, we fight or we die! I've never let a Galgastani get the better of me, and I don't mean to start today!

: Focus, Vyce! Our first duty is to save the duke!

: Don't lecture me on duty! Your only duty is to stay alive!

: You should not speak to Denam so! He was only trying to help!

Lanselot lectures us on Passive Skills, before walking up and straight up murdering a man in a single strike (something like 144 damage out of ~110hp)

Then, as though he didn't have a mans blood running down his sword, turns to us to try and sign us up to the "Rampart Aura's pretty good" fan club

Enemy mage at the back gets pissed off and casts Vulcan Lance (a tier 1 earth projectile magic spell) at Mirdyn. This has the effect of also landing Mirdyn with an "Earth Adverse" debuff, increasing damage taken from Earth Spells by, ~20-25%?

If I ever figure out gifs, I'm sure this'll look great :v:

Enemy archer also decides that Mirdyn's her best target and lands a shot for 4 damage, against 149 total. Total damage down to my party: 26.

Catiua's up next and promptly heals Mirdyn for 39 damage. Total damage done to my team: -13.

Holy poo poo, we finally get a turn!

We check the enemy soldiers walking range and park Levi just at the last possible place the soldier can reach him. Positioning is important, as a single soldier in your back lines has the potential to cause some serious havoc.

Warren moves up behind Levi and hits the enemy Warrior with a Paralytic wave, which hits.

The second enemy Archer moves up, targets Vyce and shoots, landing a crit and knocking him back a square next to Catiua.

It doesn't always happen, but crits have the potential to knock back enemies, and can be skilled into by most classes to apply even to regular hits.

Too late, Bapal realises that these aren't just random peasants moaning about their lord giving them what for

Canopus and Gildas get a turn, with Gildas knocking Ethelred the Warrior from 67 to 21 HP, and then Canopus finishing him off.

Mirdyn walks around the enemy Valkyrie's flank (we'll get to those later) and slices into her with his sword for 30 damage.

The enemy mage, pissed off that his superb damage was undone, hits Mirdyn with earth lance again - for 25 damage. an extra 3 damage would be about 10% rounding up if I'm being generous, so maybe the "adverse" debuffs aint that great.

Every Spell School has an emblem as its focus, and it comes out nicely midcast with a flash, that I completely failed to capture in this screenshot.

The first archer still thinks Mirdyn's her best shot, and takes another shot at him.

Mirdyn's life flashes before his eyes as the arrow flies... and does gently caress all damage

Catiua drops another heal on Mirdyn. Each time you cast a spell, the character has a chance to utter a unique phrase related to the spell.

It doesn't completely heal him this time, but the total damage to our party's still less than 15 overall

Warren moves up and cracks out a "Lightning Bow" spell at the enemy Valkyrie Bess. Like "Vulcan Lance", "Lightning Bow" is the Tier 1 Thunder Magic projectile magic spell.

Sweet merciful gently caress

Both enemy archers takes a shot at Mirdyn.

But he's having none of that poo poo, and blocks both of them

Having too little health to do much of use, the Valkyrie tries to put her back to the wall

[i]Gildas doesn't believe in mercy however, and slices off the last of her two hp putting her in the dirt.

[i]Canopus flies up further and drops an arrow into the mage wot hates Mirdyn for 53 damage

[i]Not captured, but Mirdyn and Levi both move to attack Bapal, knocking him from 136 life to 84.

[i]OH :saddowns:

Expect to see a lot of this.

For spoils, you'll get the "set" victory list, and anything in a bag lying on the ground at the end of the level. If an enemy picks up a big, you lose that item, so try to pick it up before enemies do.

XP is divided up per class, with more classes getting more XP. I'm not sure of the exact XP breakdown.

Everyone gets an equal share of skill points.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I got 1 battle into this game! And I can't for the life of me remember why I stopped because I love strategy RPG's and this is supposed to be one of the best.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What killed it for me in the end was grind for skill points, crafting, and side dungeons. There is so much side content in this game that if you feel like you have to get everything you can on a first pass, you will probably hate yourself. And then the battery in my PSP kind of went bad and inflated like a balloon, which is not something I've seen happen to a battery before.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
It can get ludicrously grindy on certain things and the majority of the classes just felt samey to me. I wouldn't be surprised for people to get bored or turned off, though I pushed through and had plenty of fun, though I still have two gripes. One we won't see for a while and the other is THAT GODDAMNED POT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

theshim posted:

It can get ludicrously grindy on certain things and the majority of the classes just felt samey to me. I wouldn't be surprised for people to get bored or turned off, though I pushed through and had plenty of fun, though I still have two gripes. One we won't see for a while and the other is THAT GODDAMNED POT.

[canned cheering.wav]