Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i mean, the director also plays a big factor in how a script/story turns out, especially in the case of an auteur type like yuasa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i think yuasa's gonna have more control over the story than okouchi

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean, the director also plays a big factor in how a script/story turns out, especially in the case of an auteur type like yuasa.

True, but it does mean that he will be going in with questionably-reliable backup. So there's a greater chance of this being less than peak Yuasa.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i mean ping pong was a 4 and kaiba was like, a 3.5

tatami galaxy was good tho

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like kaiba

i'm not gonna defend ping-pong because it's my second least-favorite yuasa next to kemonozume :twisted:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it feels like there's actually very little peak Yuasa in the world to worry about comparing this to, except maybe Mind Game and Tatami. Kaiba is my favorite but definitely flawed, and Ping Pong is in a weird place where it's great but came from an equally great manga and had definite production issues.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Speaking of Yuasa, isn't there a movie coming out in early April? Any chance that's getting a legal English release?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Xinder posted:

Speaking of Yuasa, isn't there a movie coming out in early April? Any chance that's getting a legal English release?

he's got two movies coming out this Spring. I doubt they'll come over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I... you people don't like Ping Pong???

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ping pong has some really good bits but i didn't love it the whole way through like i did with kaiba and tatami. there were some fantastic moments for a lot of the characters and it had a cool ending but a lot of the stuff in between all that didn't grab me

at least it wasn't kemonozume though, where i didn't really like it at all outside of the visuals once it got to the back half

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

dogsicle posted:

he's got two movies coming out this Spring. I doubt they'll come over.

That's a drat shame. Won't stop me from watching them, though.

Wait, what's the one that doesn't look like Tatami Galaxy character designs reused? That's the only one I was thinking of.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xinder posted:

That's a drat shame. Won't stop me from watching them, though.

Wait, what's the one that doesn't look like Tatami Galaxy character designs reused? That's the only one I was thinking of.

Lu's Song

https://youtu.be/UHaKc-fpPcA

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Holy poo poo a new Devilman adaptation by Yuasa

What surprises me is how many countries it's airing in. Didn't expect that for how niche of a property it is

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

What surprises me is how many countries it's airing in. Didn't expect that for how niche of a property it is

Since it's gonna be on Netflix I'm just assuming that Cyborg 009 vs Devilman did much better than they expected.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
make sure to watch Devilman: The Birth dubbed in preparation

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Dang, didn't know I wanted this but I do.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
http://toonamifaithful.com/press-release-toonami-celebrates-20-years-of-action/

As part of Toonami's 20 year anniversary, they're showing a new 5-part mini-series by Mamoru Oshii call "Sand Whale and Me", with each episode being approximately 5 minutes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
last season seemed pretty weak to me, but this upcoming season looks p tight

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Okouchi? That's a warning sign. His last three original TV screenplays were Guilty Crown, Valvrave, and Kabaneri, and Devilman seems like it'll be the sort of property that encourages all his worst instincts.

You say that, but the dude only wrote 6 out of 22 episodes of Guilty Crown. He is only partially to blame there.

Honestly, I thought Kabaneri was a significant step up from Valvrave in mostly the right direction. The Biba material was weak but the show as a whole wasn't unwatchable. If anything, I think he's a good fit since Devilman isn't exactly a property known for being very subtle or avoiding shock value (even if we only took the neutered and more kid-friendly TV series into account, for some bizarre reason).
It might also be a far more natural outlet for the whole "man vs. monster" theme from those two series rather than trying to push it on some other genre where it wouldn't belong. In any case, I think it's logical that Yuasa will also play a large creative role as director and this is arguably going to be the central attraction regardless of anything else.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 16, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

eonwe posted:

last season seemed pretty weak to me, but this upcoming season looks p tight

You should watch both seasons of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu if you enjoy really compelling character drama with incredible focus on characters mannerisms and speech, all accompanied by a story that's a lovesong for the traditional Japanese art of Rakugo.
It was my favorite show last year, and the second season has been excellent too!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RollingPirahna/status/842179419200413696

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

But why crybaby

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

but also yesssss

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

But why crybaby

This is the one where he cries a lot.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Motto posted:

but also yesssss

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Good to know that it'll be faithful, so people will get to see both the good and the bad of the original ending.

Motto posted:

But why crybaby

Because Akira was one before he became Devilman.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 16, 2017

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Motto posted:

but also yesssss

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Motto posted:

But why crybaby

Because it's meant to appease the Crybabies complaining about the Manga never getting a proper adaptation.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Motto posted:

but also yesssss

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

This seems to be an actual Netflix original, as in Netflix ponying up money for the production, as opposed to all the other "Netflix original" anime where they just bought distribution rights to something that was already getting made. Their stated goal is to make all of their original content available throughout their service worldwide, since as the owners they can do that rather than having to negotiate part and parcel for every country and region.

While ambitious, it's a super neat idea, and they've already produced one j-drama, released last year, with a 2nd one supposed to come out soon, so there is some precedent.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

if it does well i hope we get a devilman boss baby

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there have been so many devilman manga

Only like one good one though

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Machiavellism will be directed by the guy who did Chaos Dragon and BlazBlue: Alter Memory. So that could be... uhh... something.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Aoi Honoo director's new project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOtYqZowIE

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

between the thighs

a good way for two bros to compare dicks

(back to stomach, of course)

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
My opinion of the Yuasa devilman rests entirely on the adaptation of this page

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

are you ready to game my fellow gamers? with the official anime about gaming, called gamers. a gamer hell yeah from me, to you, my fellow gamers

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm strapping on my woot boots right now.

Time to game.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

*extreme hacker voice* I'm in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

darkgray posted:

The Aoi Honoo director's new project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOtYqZowIE

Never read this one, but I will follow Fukuda to hell and back.

• Locked thread