Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

you see all the sjws i know are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

anime

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Space Flower posted:

to be fair, if he just meant the politics in the manga are heavy handed and it only gets thicker later on, that'd be understandable. but I'd still disagree because the politics is part of the detailed world building that makes the series interesting and relevant.

woke: an in-universe magical girl show about a girl who fights against political ideologies to protect the happiness of her classmates

I like that the chapter title literally contains a horseshoe.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Summer Season 2017: I got 99 worries and a centaur's each one

There wasn't really anything I wanted to watch this season, which turned out okay for me because I was planning on using this season to rewatch and catch up on some things and I've been real busy anyway. The only thing I kept up with was Shuumatsu.

I tried to keep up with Alice to Zouroku and Sakura Quest. Are either of those two worth picking back up?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Command Ant posted:

There wasn't really anything I wanted to watch this season, which turned out okay for me because I was planning on using this season to rewatch and catch up on some things and I've been real busy anyway. The only thing I kept up with was Shuumatsu.

I tried to keep up with Alice to Zouroku and Sakura Quest. Are either of those two worth picking back up?

Alice and Zouroku is fun. One of the main characters is the grumpiest old man with a heart of gold you'll find (voiced by Solid Snake, even!). Sakura Quest is a P.A. Works original show about cute girls working (usually) boring jobs. If you liked previous P.A. Works shows about Cute Girls working (usually) boring jobs, then this will most likely appeal to you.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Command Ant posted:

Alice and Zouroku is really cute and good once it finishes the first arc, since it basically closes off the the secret organization in 4 episodes, and then essentially becomes a full-on SoL of a psychic powered girl. Sakura Quest is still a slow burn, but it's not bad, I like it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope CW gets to the chapters where the protagonist gets transported to a fantasy world where she's super strong compared to everyone else and murders a ton of people.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
The only thing I watched this season was LWA, which is odd because I dropped it last season. It got a lot better to me when it stopped the episodic... uh, episodes and switched over to its main arc. I didn't get more than an episode in to anything else (though I will check out MHA from the beginning, once I've finished TTGL).

Maybe I'll try the PA Works thing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

my vote

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:same:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Agronox posted:

It got a lot better to me when it stopped the episodic... uh, episodes and switched over to its main arc.
I'm glad it starts putting a main plot together eventually. Skeledad was a good episode though. Was gonna keep going with LWA anyway.

IBO done. Amanchu done.

I have both Tanya and Monster Girls on hold still. Any letdowns there?

I was gonna pick up Hinako Note but I heard it was boring, and not in the good NNB way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Did IBO stick the landing? I saw 12 eps and then waited until it was all over.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

The first season was pretty solid, but the second was rear end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Well drat. Thanks!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ranzear posted:

I thought both were good, but Tanya is definitely the better of the two, and you should probably skip MonMusu if you're the type that gets angry about fanservicey harem anime.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also curious about this. I dropped it a couple of episodes into season two when it sort of started to get dull and predictable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think he's talking about demi-chan, not monster musume

which i'd say is decent but i didn't enjoy it as much as the manga and kind of fell off part of the way through

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Oh never mind then, Demi-chan kicks rear end with no disclaimer.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ranzear posted:

Both are very good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnoHito posted:

I thought both were good, but Tanya is definitely the better of the two, and you should probably skip MonMusu if you're the type that gets angry about fanservicey harem anime.

Also curious about this. I dropped it a couple of episodes into season two when it sort of started to get dull and predictable.
The second season had its troubles, but I still think that it's the 2nd best 21st Century Gundam by a long margin. Also has what is very likely to be one of the most brutal, mean-spirited and heart-wrenching endings in all of the Gundam metaseries.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

rear end is an exaggeration. It's not as good as the first season, but it's not terrible

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
IBO definitely stuck the landing IMO, the only real problem with the second season is that it mostly dropped a pretty major plot thread from the first (Kudelia's) and some people didn't like the way the "main" villain subverted their expectations. Me personally, I loved it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It had a good 15 episodes of short arcs that didn't go anywhere, it abandoned everything that was cool about McGillis in favor of making him yet another gundam pilot, it sidelined or got rid of interesting characters, and then it ended with a ten year timeskip where they explained to us in three minutes how the main villain of the season solved all the problems of the whole show. It sucked.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I enjoyed IBO S2 well enough (way more than any other Gundam TV series other than Turn A) but it was basically just "fine" by the end.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It had a good 15 episodes of short arcs that didn't go anywhere, it abandoned everything that was cool about McGillis in favor of making him yet another gundam pilot, it sidelined or got rid of interesting characters, and then it ended with a ten year timeskip where they explained to us in three minutes how the main villain of the season solved all the problems of the whole show. It sucked.

You are completely wrong about McGillis, he was one of the most unique villains in the whole Gundam franchise. He was a lot more interesting in season 2 than he was in season 1

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can say a lot about Iron-Blooded Orphans, but you can't deny how SAVAGE that last episode was.

:black101: personified.

e:I am dumb.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 19, 2017

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

You can say a lot about Iron-Blooded Orphans, but you can't deny the SAVAGENESS of the MUSCLE UNIT.

:black101: personified.

What's the point of putting all of this in spoiler tags.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strange Quark posted:

What's the point of putting all of this in spoiler tags.
I can be really dumb sometimes. Post has been corrected (to a point).

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I feel very similarly about IBO S1 and S2. I started with high hopes for both and was let down both times.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Wark Say posted:

I can be really dumb sometimes. Post has been corrected (to a point).

uh. i don't think you have to make that kind of edit

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think that final timeskip was supposed to be jarring - there's a lot of very deliberate parallels with the history of Imprial Japan throughout the show that only grow stronger in the second season, and that whiplash of the enemy ending the war in the most horrific possible way and then turning out to be... well... not fantastic, but significantly less awful than expected is really key to what the show's trying to get across. It's a pretty bold attempt to bring that strange, confusing bundle of national guilt, pride, and trauma to a modern audience, and even if you question whether it sticks it, or whether that was a good idea in the first place, you do kind of have to respect the stones of a show that goes for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Trailer for FLCL 2 & 3 at AX.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I hope this project gets the AX haha

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Waffleman_ posted:

Trailer for FLCL 2 & 3 at AX.

and trigger panel in the same room 30 minutes later

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'mma be super loving mad if this week's ending to YowaPedal was a fake out. Like holy poo poo.

Also Eromanga deployed the nuclear option last episode. That is probably the best show of the season but also gosh it would have been great if the people making it had made anything else instead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kater posted:

I'mma be super loving mad if this week's ending to YowaPedal was a fake out. Like holy poo poo.

Also Eromanga deployed the nuclear option last episode. That is probably the best show of the season but also gosh it would have been great if the people making it had made anything else instead.
Wait, Eromanga was good? Wasn't the premise basically "Oreimo 2.0 but about light novels instead of Visual Novels / Erogames"? Or are you trolling? I honestly do not know.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wark Say posted:

Wait, Eromanga was good? Wasn't the premise basically "Oreimo 2.0 but about light novels instead of Visual Novels / Erogames"? Or are you trolling? I honestly do not know.

Kater has poo poo taste.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It actually is good, but by using content from the latest second to latest LN volume for this episode, they've made it very clear that no one other than the sister can win this (unlike Oreimo, where a Kuroneko or even Ayase end seemed possible for most of the show).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a bunch of people have found things to like about eromanga separate from the incest sword looming overhead

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

a bunch of people have found things to like about eromanga separate from the incest sword looming overhead

Yeah, basically, it sounds like it's as well-written and well-made as a paedophile incest fetish anime can be.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

afaik it doesn't portray pedophilia so that seems an odd flag to stick in it specifically

• Locked thread