Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Okouchi? That's a warning sign. His last three original TV screenplays were Guilty Crown, Valvrave, and Kabaneri, and Devilman seems like it'll be the sort of property that encourages all his worst instincts.

You say that, but the dude only wrote 6 out of 22 episodes of Guilty Crown. He is only partially to blame there.

Honestly, I thought Kabaneri was a significant step up from Valvrave in mostly the right direction. The Biba material was weak but the show as a whole wasn't unwatchable. If anything, I think he's a good fit since Devilman isn't exactly a property known for being very subtle or avoiding shock value (even if we only took the neutered and more kid-friendly TV series into account, for some bizarre reason).
It might also be a far more natural outlet for the whole "man vs. monster" theme from those two series rather than trying to push it on some other genre where it wouldn't belong. In any case, I think it's logical that Yuasa will also play a large creative role as director and this is arguably going to be the central attraction regardless of anything else.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Good to know that it'll be faithful, so people will get to see both the good and the bad of the original ending.

Motto posted:

But why crybaby

Because Akira was one before he became Devilman.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 16, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Nice news, the original Eureka 7 is getting movie compilations with new scenes. One film per year.

http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1489661880

Announcement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfVIGs1w6Q

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Colonel posted:

no that was an original movie that was really dark and weird

That was "what if the supporting cast of Eureka 7 was bad and we tried to be meta about the anime industry."

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

For anyone interested and not anti-3DCG, ID-0 has a nice opening sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLG7-2XXQuo

It also suggests there is going to be a good serious sci-fi theme along with the pulpy space adventure angle.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Davincie posted:

Seikaisuru Kado was pretty good. best cgi ive seen since (the otherwise horrendous) sky crawlers. interesting plot too, though the scientist girl was a bit annoying. going in blind made the ep 00 ending a real surprise!

The basic plot is nice and I was also surprised. Not a big fan of mixing different animation styles, but it admittedly looks okay most of the time (still prefer Orange's 3D for general purposes and a couple of other companies on occasion).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize it was cgi until very late in ep 00. It seems decent and characters feel mostly like rational actors rather than just following the demands of the plot.

Well, that's because most of episode 00 was entirely 2D to begin with. The 3D parts only start to happen near the end.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

BTW, is there anywhere streaming ID-0?

Netflix has it in Japan and possibly worldwide, which means they might wait until the whole series is over before uploading an official translation.

Which makes it hard to watch weekly, unless you can deal with untranslated shows (like crazy old me) or a fansub group randomly decides to pick it up.

That's a bummer since the first episode was pretty good...but I'd feel bad talking about it right now. I will say the preview music is rad though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

ID-0: didn't like the mechanical design, characters or setting, and it looks much worse than Bubuki, so dropped before I even finished the first episode. :rip:

It's all up to individual preferences here. I like the mecha designs being so funky since it gives them a little personality. I think that was reflected in their use of body language (particularly with Maya's yellow robot). The setting is also a plus for me because I am getting tired of Gundam-style endless space wars, so something with more room for adventure seems nice and the mind transfer concept helps to spice things up.

The biggest contrast with Bubuki Buranki is that the human characters are less important right now, so there's no need to showcase a broad range of cartoon-style expressions, but I don't see any technological differences in the rest of the 3D. Too early for snap judgments about the cast, in my opinion, but I liked that the pirates had decent camaraderie (no silly rivalries between them) and were kind enough towards Maya. Based on the framing and the newest PV, I think there is going to be a fair amount of actual character development for Maya and Id as an absolute minimum.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ID-0 ep 2 had some good character moments between Maya and Ido during a pretty cool space mining sequence, plus more details on the sci-fi side of things about the I-machine technology as well as setting up a couple of mysteries for the larger story. Overall, a nice episode.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Took a little longer this week, but finally watched ID-0 3. Still continues to be a reasonably competent and fun space mining adventure. Maya took a relative backseat (with one honorable exception), Grayman had a nice moment or two this time around, new people ended up joining the team and we got confirmation that outside of the captain's daughter, practically everyone on the initial mining crew no longer has his/her body and even this is considered illegal in addition to unethical.

I don't know whether to be slightly amused or slightly creeped out by Rick lacking a body but still feeling attraction to an adult woman, so I think her interactions with Ido will be more interesting to watch in light of how the conflict between them has more substantial ground than that. It also felt like a good way to end the introductory arc by giving us a clearer view of the foe, that being the military and two specific individuals who are manipulating events. Thankfully, neither of them are teenagers.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Relin posted:

let's use the shots where the faces are off model for our code geass sequel pv

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5kam98

This is the same video from last year's anniversary event. Just with higher image quality and resolution. it's more of a teaser than a real promotional video. That would imply there's a date or schedule for the new production and so far we have none. The 2017 reference is for the recap movies of the original show and even those haven't been released yet. I really doubt we'll see the Code Geass sequel until 2018 or even 2019, if Sunrise is too busy with other projects, so this video is just something they cooked up to excite fans in the meanwhile.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 30, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ID-0 was really fun this week. It's a classic scenario/setup, but Amanza and Ido work well as rivals. Glad the focus is on that rather than on Rick's antics, though they can be lightly amusing. Pretty neat trick with the billiard-style solution. Grayman is earning some nice character points too.

Protip: please don't bully mysterious little girls in space ]that are somehow connected to either literal or figurative Shinto deities (I wasn't expecting THAT, of all things).

Just for the heck of it, I probably should go ahead and make a thread soon.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Here's the ID-0 thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3819737

Not entirely sure if I gave either too much information or too little.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 8, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Except if it's Black Lagoon, Baccano or Code Geass.

Or Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop and Gun X Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Sindai posted:

Someone might fansub it as it airs, like ID-0.

Incidentally, ID-0 is still good and the second half is providing nice pay off.

Love how the latest episode ended with Koyasu going full DIO.

• Locked thread