Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Reposting this review from last thread

https://englishlightnovels.com/2017/01/13/shuumatsu-nani-shitemasu-ka-isogashii-desu-ka-sukutte-moratte-ii-masu-ka/

I really liked the novels and hope people give the series a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think i gave the shuumatsu books a pretty fair shake, but one of the young girls turned out to be the love interest which killed my interest. the guy is supposed to be their combination teacher and parent, you know? drenching everything in melodrama doesn't make that poo poo okay.
If you don't like melodrama, you should stay far away from this, but I don't think they handled that plot point badly.
Kutori really is the only one of the girls who has any romantic feelings for the main character, and she's the oldest of them.
A 14-15 year old girl crushing on an authority figure really isn't all that unbelieb, doubly so if the guy really is only 4 years older than her (unless you count the 500+ years he was petrified).
And when he realizes what's going on, he goes to the other adult around and has this conversation:

quote:

“If you want to talk about romance and fiction, do it elsewhere. I mean, I won’t deny that I appear to be liked by some of them.”

“Hmm?” Naigrat opened her eyes wide. “That’s a little unexpected. I thought you were the type of character oblivious to that kind of stuff.”

“Don’t say character… I’m not performing an act or anything.” He scratched his head. “I want to have a serious talk. Love is something that just wells up on its own when you get to that age, regardless of whether or not you actually have a partner. Most of them quickly find someone to pit those feelings against. Someone nearby of the opposite gender, a distant idolized figure, that ideal someone they hope to meet someday. Some keep throwing their feelings at these futile dreams until the very end.

… the girls here never got a chance to do any of those things. Then I came along. Their possible targets increased from zero to one. So, by some weird logic of their own, they convinced themselves that they were in love. Anyways, something like that — what’s with those eyes?”

He realized that Naigrat was staring him down with the utmost intensity.

“Eyes of disbelief at finding a man much worse than expected.”

“What… I don’t believe I said anything strange. Anyway, I think most of them just yearn for a father figure. Of course I’m glad that they like me, but it’s nothing more than that.”

“A boring answer, huh?”

“Boring means peaceful. Nothing better than that, right?”

And after that, he talks to the girl, who was basically prepared to suicide bomb herself in the next battle:

quote:

“Well, how about this. If you go fight and return home, I’ll listen to one request. Anything you want.”

“Eh?” Kutori was caught off guard for a second. “I-It’s not like I really have anything I want you to do for me. Besides, even if you say ‘anything’, you probably won’t actually do anything big. Like if I said ‘marry me!’ or something…”

“Pass.”

“… of course I know that. But, I’m curious. Why?”

“Well, it’s just not in the range of things I can do. Just like if you requested me to ‘bring a dead guy back to life’ or ‘eliminate all the Beasts’, it would obviously be impossible.”

“Marrying me is as impossible as those things?”

“Of course.”

A child around that age feeling some sort of attraction to a nearby reliable older figure of the opposite gender was only natural. It might have been one valid form of love, but it was also a temporary passion brought about by the sheer lack of options. So taking a step back while that fever cooled down was the responsible thing to do as an adult.

“At least wait until you’ve grown up a little more.”

“If I had the time then I wou–!”

“You have time,” Willem said, cutting Kutori off mid sentence. “You’re about to go fight and buy that time, aren’t you?”

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5f81w0

Re:Creators PV3

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alice to Zouroku was cute. Has anyone here read the manga? Does it stay that way, or will it turn into suffering?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZC_AtsF2Y4

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

Love Tyrant has the best OP of the season so far, though.

Also, I hope someone starts a thread for it if they haven't already. This seems like the kind of thing that will benefit from the Netoge treatment (ie. people who understand the references pointing them out- the only reason I recognized the "Nii-chan get out of the way or I can't kill her" thing was because it came up in Netoge as well).

And the puns (解釈 -->kaishaku --> kai-shark)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Amstrad posted:

ID-0: At least the protag's body didn't get involved in some sort of shady body trafficking ring... though I think its pretty clear the rest of the cast are perma-giant-robotted

Only half the cast, the purple and green ones do have bodies

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tsuki ga Kirei is so cute :3:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rangpur posted:

I'm assuming WorldEnd is based on the LN or game because of course it is, could one of you who's played it tell me if the, uh, Leprechauns are actually sort-of named after Lovecraft mythos deities, or is this Gundam-style "throw lawn darts at the hiragana chart" naming?

LN, and neither, they're really based on the Irish fairies. The idea is that those big swords can only be used by humans, who are now all extinct. Leprechauns are able to "use human tools", which is good enough for those swords.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 22, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQN2WC_Acpg

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Whoever designed those fortifications was either a very bad architect or a very good salesman

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm not too sure about the pace they've chosen though.
They're doing 3 episodes per volume of source material. That worked fine for the first three episodes because nothing too important was skipped, but episodes 4-6 felt a lot more compressed.
It also means they're going to end this at the end of volume 4 (of 5 volumes in total). That's a really mean place to stop at, unless they're planning to do the final volume as 4 OVA episodes or a movie (it's longer than the other volumes).
Slowing down to 4 episodes per novel would have left them with enough material to finish things up with a 10 episode season 2, possibly more if they also take some content from the side story novel.

Also, the anime opened with a scene near the end of volume 3, so it would have made sense for that to be the final episode

Tamba fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 19, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Indiana_Krom posted:

You know, reading this discussion about subs vs dubs, I find myself nodding in agreement with both sides. Which is probably why I used some of those language teaching audio book courses like 10 years ago and learned enough of spoken Japanese that I can actually follow the average anime episode without reading the subs for the most part. Hell, for the average shounen manga adaptation I will often straight up look away and do something on monitor 2 while its playing and still follow it just fine. The time investment to do one of those audio book study courses is about the same as watching one episode of anime every day for like 3 months, and it is surprisingly fun to learn. Anyone invested enough to have a lengthy conversation on subs vs dubs is probably invested enough in the medium to learn Japanese themselves, think about it some time, it is probably worth it. You are probably already a step or two into it because if you watch even 1 or 2 shows a season, the language already shouldn't sound "foreign" to you anymore.

I completely agree with this post.
But note that only watching anime does not teach you japanese, no matter how much you want it. I'd watched huge amounts of anime for 10+ years and definitely learned hundreds of common words, but I made way more progress in the first few months of sitting down properly learning japanese.

Watching lots of anime does give you a boost when learning japanese (especially when it comes to listening), but you do need to spend that effort of studying to actually make use of it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Speaking of replaced openings, Tsuki ga Kirei also upgraded the opening this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

It actually is good, but by using content from the latest second to latest LN volume for this episode, they've made it very clear that no one other than the sister can win this (unlike Oreimo, where a Kuroneko or even Ayase end seemed possible for most of the show).

• Locked thread