Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Not sure whether it's rightfully a spring or winter release- sue me.

The Trinity Seven movie was... awful.

They spent the first ten minutes of the movie recapping the events of the original series, followed by another 30 minutes in which each of the 15 heroines react to each and every occurance, costing about 30 seconds each time. In a movie that's only 55 minutes long, that adds up pretty quick.

Then, they move into the second half where they introduce and attempt to resolve about 20 completely new plot points, all while still trying to give every character approximately equal speaking time, culminating in a battle that was ended by two shots of a fuckoff giant gun and a lot of accompanied whining from the villain.

To top it all off, the music was generally alright, but they would have better served just to reuse Beautiful Sentence as the ED.

Really, just extremely rushed and ineffective, despite their attempt to put in a heartbreaking moment.

I genuinely enjoyed the original series (up until the last episode), but this really didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Attack on Titan:
Is it just me or does the new Titan look an awful like like Ikari Gendo?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maidragon's finale was as good as it could possibly have been, locked down its position as winter AOTS by a mile. 2nd place for me is probably gonna be Bang Dream, although its schedule is weird so it still has like 3 or 4 episodes left. GabDro's 3rd, maybe 2nd if Bang Dream just tanks.

I disagree, the finale would have been markedly better if:
After Saikawa gave the flower to Kanna to say "I offer you my everything", Kanna had opened her mouth and bitten Saikawa clean in two, making her typical comments like "A bit tough and stringy".

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Amazon claims that Saekano S2 is an exclusive, for one.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

dogsicle posted:

with all the CR bullshit lately I'm glad somebody is stepping in to make sure there's competition, but it's definitely not ideal that you have to pay two more subscriptions to access that stuff on a platform that had been about as transparent in the past as Funimation.

Like I said the last time this came up, the big benefit for me is going to be not needing to get a game console to watch anime on your TV. CR used to have support for Roku and a variety of SmartTV OSes, but they've pretty much given up on even trying to stay current with them and just want to deal with PS variants (3, 4, vita) and Xbox. I'm not sure whether CR is available on Nintendo consoles.

The problem is still the very-limited library, though. As much as I like Saekano, it's not worth $5/mo in a vacuum.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

nielsm posted:

Zouroku

zou roku

Is that a sequel to a Terry Pratchett book?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Fangz posted:

I'm sorry to keep this line of argument going but I rather resent the argument that making things dark necessitates having 'major scenes of sexual assault'. I can think of a pretty wide swathe of dark stuff I'm consumed, both fictional and historical, without any 'major scenes of sexual assault'. (And the thing in common between the ones that have them is usually that they are terrible works.) So going 'oh I can only think of three major scenes' is kinda jarring.

The basis of darkness in literary works is characters being treated as objects.

Drinking blood, making things from skin/hair/bones, enslaving them, manipulating them into doing things they find abhorrent, eating them, murdering them en-masse. All of which are awful and are all examples of dehumanization.

In a setting where such things happen routinely, sexual assault occurring, as well, is a foregone conclusion. I agree that it can be over-used as a plot element (like in Game of Thrones, I'll agree), and I'll agree that showing it explicitly doesn't necessarily add that much to the level of darkness since it can typically be assumed, but I'll ask you- is it plausible to you, in your fictional/historical dark stuff, that the evil characters say "Oh, I'll murder you in the most slow and agonizing way I can think of, but don't worry, I won't touch your naughty bits"?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Nobody else here is going to like Eromanga-Sensei, since it hits on just about every plot element people love to hate, but I think it's got potential.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

nielsm posted:

Love Kome was bad, not worth the 4 minutes.

Love Tyrant (Ren'ai Boukun) was okay. Very much dumb reference humor, but it worked well enough for the first episode.

Love Tyrant has the best OP of the season so far, though.

Also, I hope someone starts a thread for it if they haven't already. This seems like the kind of thing that will benefit from the Netoge treatment (ie. people who understand the references pointing them out- the only reason I recognized the "Nii-chan get out of the way or I can't kill her" thing was because it came up in Netoge as well).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

and i dropped hinako note after half an episode

and i like basically all moe shows

I don't hate it, and hinako's special ability made me laugh every time she used it, but I don't predict it being one of my favorites of the season.

It's like Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu Ka? with less interesting characters.

In other news, I get a bad vibe from "Clockwork Planet". Finger scene aside, it sort of reminds me of "Big Order" for some reason, and that makes me cautious.

Sakurada Reset and Busou Shoujo caught my attention, so I decided to pull the trigger on Anime Strike. Y'all weren't kidding when you said that the interface sucked.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Xelkelvos posted:

Sankarea goes into a really weird direction complete with a secret zombie laboratory on a remote tropical island and more incest undertones and an ending that throws out all of the tension it creates. If it stayed as a rom-com with zombies, it'd be nice, but nope.

You're not making me want to read the manga less. (Actually, I started reading it shortly after seeing the show (some 4? years ago) but fell off of it. This sounds too good to miss, though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

chumbler posted:

I think you can easily afford to miss it.

What can I say, I like stories that go where they will organically, without the creator trying to force them to stay within specific subgenre constraints. Sometimes it's too sudden a shift and I get pissed off (typically movies from several volumes ahead of where the series ended, like with "Eternal My Master!") but typically it's at least interesting to read/watch. And in full manga form, it shouldn't cause quite the same whiplash for me as it has in a couple anime series.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism:

For some reason they bleeped out a word that AmazonStrike translated as "p*****t", multiple times. I've never heard "hentai" or any other version of pervert bleeped out, and occasionally you could hear a distinct "o" sound at the word.

Were they actually calling him "Chinpo" and Amazon dropped the ball on the translation?

EDIT: Sagrada Reset

Does anyone else think that Soma was *too* perfect? Like she knew exactly what Kei needed to hear, either by virtue of being from the future or some manner of precognition of her own? She keeps going on and on about "Don't fool yourself, you're not a villain, trust your gut and everything will be fine" which would seem to suggest an alternate timeline where Kei did just the opposite. It would also explain the death, if she knew that the reset had happened and her presence would be a distraction to avoiding some major tragedy going forward.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 12, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Darth Walrus posted:

Weren't folks saying that it gets real bad later on, rather than starting out real bad?

Let's just put it this way- sash-girl was very concerned about the state of protagonist's foreskin in one of the episodes we've already seen.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Hinako Note might not survive the season for me. The first half of the episode with Hina's mom was funny, but the rest of it just dragged forever, and the fan service scenes (Hina lying on her bed looking at her cell phone, the camera pointed at her rear end while she kicks her legs and jiggles it) really throw me out of the tone of the show.

Plus, the "I'm always hungry" girl is annoying.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Tittydemon show features a lot of my favorite voice actors (Eri Kitamura, Ai Kakuma, Shizuka Itou, Yoko Hikasa) plus a few I've liked in the few roles in which I've seen them (Azusa Tadokoro- Fino from Yuusha ni Narenakatta and Yui Ogura- Tsutsukakushi from HenNeko and Sorata's sister from Sakurasou) so I feel like I sort of have to watch it.

I've learned my lesson, though, and this will be my last post about it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I really want to play a Clockwork Planet video game.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
EDIT: nevermind, I'm an idiot. Somehow L and W combined to make V for me.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 25, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

paragon1 posted:

It's​ probably one of the funniest things I've ever watched. Some episodes had me laughing so hard that my ribs hurt after.

Last Amazoness!

Anyway, FAGirls does some interesting stuff that I haven't noticed before with the depth of focus of the imaginary camera.

In this latest episode, for example, they set it so the new character's face was in focus while her arms and kunai were not. It makes for an interesting effect.

Am I crazy, or is this actually a rare effect?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Where was discussion of the Keijospiracy?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Grimoire of Zero

Waste of an episode that became interesting in the last 15 seconds.

You've only got 12 episodes. We get it- Zero was sheltered, and Youhei is a good guy and Albus just misunderstood the way that magic actually worked.

Now... advance the loving plot, already... or, at very least, introduce it.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Anyways, I see where they're coming from! I don't agree with it but that's different cultures for you, which is one of the benefits of watching media from a foreign culture. (Kamen Rider Ex-Aid hit me full in the face the other day where a doctor wasn't going to treat a criminal because he was a criminal, and according to my American morals I was going "No! You treat the man and THEN hand him to the justice system! You are not his executioner!" -- but also to be fair to Ex-Aid it's hard to tell if it's pushing things for drama or not, so idk.)

I don't think that's necessarily just a "foreign culture" thing, so much as just something that you hadn't seen before. The same conflict came up in "House, MD" at one point, it's basically the entire premise of "The Mob Doctor", and I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that it comes up in many (most?) medical dramas set in the US and elsewhere.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So NHK just had a poll of the top anime series of all time or something along those lines, and a guy on Reddit was nice enough to translate the top 100.
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/690kv4/nhk_top_100_voted_anime/

There are a few surprises there (I didn't think that SAO stood up well enough to still be top 20, but I was very happy to see Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu at 80). Also, did Joker Game really end up being good enough to justify top 15? Or is this the Fujoshi Effect in full form (Likely why Rakugo wound up in top 100, too?)

It seems to have a skew towards newer shows (neither Excel Saga nor Martian Succesor Nadesico show up within the top 100), but it's still an interesting list.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Its placement on the list suggested to me that something substantial might have changed in the last couple episodes. I gave up after (I think?) episode 3 (the second investigation) because I can't deal with mystery solutions being asspulls.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

The plot summary for this sounds stupid as hell, but it doesn't seem to be THAT bad... I'm up to chapter 10 or 11 and it's certainly interesting, at least.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I also enjoy the talky bits more than I should. It helps that everyone has personality and is a good character

The exposition really only bothered me when they had someone yell "Bullshit" and then completely forgot about it and decided to have everyone believe her anyway.

I still like the show, though, and the talky bits are interesting... I just wish they'd give me more to sink my teeth into rather than just "This is how it is, because I say so".

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Agronox posted:

I was just trolling for show recommendations :(

I can't tell if Sagrada Reset is going to be good or bad, yet, but I'm enjoying watching it.
Obviously, Uchouten Kazoku S2 is top-tier.
I'm having a lot of fun with Renai Boukun, but then I'm weird and I'm not necessarily going to recommend it to everyone. I have a weakness for stupid humor (because I'm stupid).
Eromanga-Sensei, as Yes pointed out, has great faces and is generally amusing. If the basic premise is going to unduly upset you, it might be best to avoid it.
ReCreators: Interesting, no idea if it's going to be bad or good yet, but I've enjoyed it to date so I'm going to keep watching it.
Grimoire of Zero: Competently done standard fantasy story. Not excellent, but it'd be tough to call it bad.
SukaSuka: Interesting apocalyptic story. It's got great world-building and likable characters, even if the romance plot is bad. Could turn out excellent, but we haven't seen the plot yet, so no way to tell.
Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism: Great characters, very funny. If the basic premise is going to unduly upset you, it might be best to avoid it.
Saekano S2: Some of the jokes are getting a bit long-in-the-tooth, but it still manages a couple of charming moments each episode.
Sakura Quest: Amusing enough to justify its 24 minutes a week, but I could never see myself marathoning it.
Clockwork Planet: Time-waster on Thursdays. Great rant in the most recent episode, but not good enough to justify watching the previous 5. Could never see myself marathoning it.
Hinako Note: Slow, boring and awful.
Frame Arm Girls: Cute dolls doing cute things. No plot to speak of, and it's getting to the point where it can no longer entirely just rely on strength of character. I won't even remember it a year from now.
Tsugumomo: Dirty sense of humor, but kinda funny at times. I'm assured by manga readers that the plot becomes interesting, but I'm not sure that the studio can manage to pull it off in the remaining 6 or so episodes
Alice to Zouroku: Only watched the first episode, which was pretty alright, and people were very hyped about it originally, but for some reason I haven't found myself watching it. I might give it a few more episodes to prove itself sooner or later, but I've yet to really feel a compulsion to do so.
EDIT: Akashic Records: Pretty standard battle high school thing, but done fairly competently. Some teacher-student romance hints, so if that would unduly upset you... you get the drill. Still, it's fairly entertaining, and if they put a bit more into world-building it could be good. Unfortunately, some of the same pacing issues as some other shows, since we've only caught the briefest glimpse of the overarching plot halfway through the season.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 14, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if there is a dub you like of a show and you can't speak japanese, i don't really see the point of watching the sub instead.

There are a couple:
1. There's approximately 3 english-speaking voice actors, and between anime and games you'll get sick of their voices fairly quickly.
2. It's not like you don't listen to the audio, and sometimes you can find glimpses of the wordplay when things rhyme or whatever, which usually doesn't translate well to a dub.
3. Those 3 English voice actors are fairly poor at pronouncing the Japanese words (like names) they need to. Case in point, "Canoy" from Mayo Chiki. Also, pronouns and honorifics, which helps with the understanding of the way someone's talking, which in the current translation paradigm are not preserved. Case in point: "Ore-sama" or "Watakushi-sama" from Tsugumomo/Majikoi or Seto no Hanayome, respectively.
4. The recording process is seemingly different on average between the original recording session and the dub recording session. Whereas the original session will have multiple actors in a room playing off one another, whereas the dub often seems to be recorded by single actors in their own isolation booths. It also adds an extra level of interpretation between the way the original voice director depicted it (perhaps in collaboration with the original creator) and how we hear it.
5. I'm working on learning to understand Japanese, and hearing the original voices helps with later recognizing vocabulary words and pronunciations.

On a completely different note: Uchouten Kazoku still owns and I can't wait for next week's episode. Based on the preview, it seems like we'll finally be learning more about the best character.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Honorifics in English sound dumb, and they only carry extra meaning if you already know what they mean. Which the vast majority of English speakers don't.

What percentage of anime-watching English speakers, though?

Anyway... the way I took to read the question is "What does the Japanese voice track provide over the dub if you're not fluent in Japanese?". Honorifics and personal pronouns are one of those things. I'm not arguing that they should be included in the dub, but I appreciate their existence in the JP track.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 21, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Strange Quark posted:

I can't tell if this is supposed to be ironic or not.

The fact that it's the wrong poem?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Grouchio posted:

Why the hell isn't Franken Fan an anime yet?

I don't know that I'd want to be the director on a Franken Fran anime. Episodic, which people tend to hate, plus the best moments, like the cannibalism on the cruiseship are really best displayed as a shocking single panel at the end of the thing. Dragging that out into 7 minutes of conclusion at the end of an anime episode wouldn't really work, but the setups would seem to justify a full-length show.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

The Colonel posted:

i liked re:creators early on but that was under the assumption that the talking wouldn't be literally every episode

Considering that it's a two-cour series, the whole thing could be saved if Meteora turns out to be the major villain. She's slowly been ingratiating herself to the government, getting access to tactical weapons of various sorts (maybe eventually strategic), and has constantly been making these leaps of metaphysical logic that nobody seems inclined to doubt.

Looks like the current villain is in line to be confronted, at least, by the end of the current cour. That leaves plenty of leeway for twisty plot nonsense going forward

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What I really want from Gab Dropout is One of the demons, perhaps inadvertently, managing to pull off some major feat as a demon, and Gab and Raphi needing to do their best to clean it up.

Maybe it'll come in a later OVA, or maybe in some manner of fan work, I don't know.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So, speaking of lovely, samey, budget anime... I'm quite impressed at how good the "average" show is this season, compared to most.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I legitimately like Sagrada Reset, but drat if that wasn't the weirdest product placement I've ever seen.

Branded Kit Kat bar, discussion of how "I don't think anyone would try to kill themselves after eating something so delicious" and even a callback to the "Break me off a piece" ad campaign. In the middle of a serious, plot-advancing scene.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I haven't seen this week of recreators yet, since I am away from home, but I have been enjoying the show as well. Protagonist is a tad frustrating in his reticence to tell everyone else what he knows, but it's got interesting fights and interesting characters with interesting motives, and that's most of what I could possibly ask of it.

Like I said a couple pages back, the show will be completely redeemed for me if Mecchin is an antagonist who has been manipulating the party this whole time.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

kater posted:

Eromanga Sensei was really good this week but there will be no forgiveness for stealing the washing machine ed.

How 'bout those death flags?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Space Flower posted:

the main pair recovering from loss and rebuilding their lives by chasing dreams is good and i support it. it's nice that the show opens up with their motivations for attachment which makes the main theme stick better than it did in oreimo where you were just being led along until you reached the endgame.

also the director is a mad genius for giving Sagiri her own dedicated artist. the amount of character animation she gets every week is crazy, and the cutest

I agree with all of this, especially the initial part. The initial setup "Parents bring home new adopted daughter, then immediately die" is a bit forced, but the character interactions are cute, the characters are all unique and likeable and the plotline since that initial setup has been amusing.

That's all I really ask of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Am I the only person still watching Sagrada Reset? It's been interesting the whole time... but it's getting much moreso.

• Locked thread